Car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you got your car seat yet? I just bought one today but then read some reviews on it and it seems to be iffy. Its a peg perego infant car seat. I'm not too terribly familiar with this brand but I do know it rates high in safety. What have you decided to get or already have? Does the Britax roundabout really work for newborns? They seem so big. Thanks, Katie
#2 of 70 Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm going to get a Graco Snugride 2. And the main reason I'm getting it is because our old Graco Snugride we used with DS#1 is expired as of this summer, and we already have bases for a Graco Snugride. Some are not good anymore either, but my mom has a Snugride 2 base at her house, and that can be used with a new Snugride 2 and will definitely be within the expiry limit.

I have a Britax Roundabout, but haven't used it rear facing, since DS was already forward facing when we got it as an "extra" seat (it was on sale for $99 - couldn't pass that up!!!). For non-infant stage, I really like my Evenflo Triumph better than the Roundabout, and the Triumph rates just as high in safety.

I could use the Roundabout for baby #2, but since it will be winter, I'd like the infant seat so I can bundle baby into the carseat, throw a blanket over top, and run like mad to the car and click him in quickly. I really liked being able to do that with DS #1. Also, I'd like to keep that "extra" seat in DH's truck so DS #1 can still do "male bonding" with his daddy on Saturday mornings (they go to Lowe's, Auto Zone, the feed store, and a BBQ place for lunch).

If I didn't already have a Snugride 2 base, I'd probably be looking at the Graco Safeseat, as that one actually lasts up to 1 year of age for 97% of children (not that I recommend carrying it in and out that long! Once they hit 15 lbs, they're getting too heavy to carry the carseat). Most other seats, you really don't use for all that long unless you have a really small child. My children are TALL like their parents. The Snugride 2 has a higher height limit than the original Snugride though, so we should get a little more time out of it. Definitely not a year though. DS #1 was 32" at 1 year, and he was only supposed to be 9.5 months at that point!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#3 of 70 Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 PM

butting in from March ddc...i know this will sound a little crazy but i ordered my carseat from the netherlands and its THE BEST. It is seriously considered among the very safest in the world. And its BEAUTIFUL. And so sturdy, I never felt our Britaxes were that sturdy.

the brand is Maxi Cosi-its available all over Europe but of course, not here.

but you can have it shipped from here:

http://www.babybestellijn.nl/shop/in...b12963ee321f93

carseats > maxi cosi >cabrio fix > then you can see all the choices...

When you are on the site, and you want to see how much this is going to cost you, make sure to switch the currency to US dollar AND to choose the option that says EXCL VAT (thats the 19% tax you will NOT be getting charged since you are shipping to the US)

i also got the Easy Base which allows me to just click the carseat in and out of the car without taking baby out and it also provides EXCELLENT extra support.

oh and forgot to say the shipping was FAST. It took about 10 business days.

anyway, sorry for butting in!!! but im just so in love with my carseat i wanted to share this info in case it would be of use to someone!

you can also google Maxi Cosi to go to their site to read up on the carseats more.
And pm me if you have any questions about the seat, i am glad to help.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#4 of 70 Old 08-25-2006, 09:43 PM

I used a roundabout for my ds when he was first born (he is still in it actually) and I have another new one for the new babe as well.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 70 Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM

I'm using the Graco Snugride I have from my DD. It doesn't expire until next year and I can't bring myself to buy a new infant seat she'll only use for a few months. I hated carrying my first DD in the infant seat after she was about 4 months old, so we moved her to the convertible LONG before she had outgrown the Snugride.

But unless you have a small preemie, a Roundabout is a perfectly safe option for a newborn.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#6 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 AM

I love my evenflo triumph!
#7 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 12:53 AM

This is our carseat - http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/pro...C&CategoryID=1

We got the same one for my son, and my in-laws bought a duplicate for when we traveled with them in FL. We're going to be down there again soon and they're sending their seat back with us - so we'll have two of the same.

It's a convertible - not an infant seat - so the hospital looked at us like we had two heads. But it worked really well for us, and we'd just take the baby out of the seat and pop him in the sling. I'm hoping it works just as well this time!
#8 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're a Britax family. I have two Marathon's for dd (one for each car), we used the Graco Snugride when she was a baby since Britax didn't have a infant seat at that time. I hated the Graco, will never use anything else after using Britax, so I was very happy to see Britax finally made a infant seat, I bought one a few weeks ago. I don't carry in the bucket much, I usually use the sling, but it's useful here in the winter to dash inside when it's really cold or snowing like crazy.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 PM

We have a Graco Safeseat for the new baby and I love it! Evan still fits in it at 20 mos.

Quote:
I'm going to get a Graco Snugride 2. And the main reason I'm getting it is because our old Graco Snugride we used with DS#1 is expired as of this summer, and we already have bases for a Graco Snugride.
Your bases also expire after 6 yrs. Your bases also only hold up to 20# while the new ones hold 22#, so as long as they are not expired, you can use them till baby hits 20# and then you have to stop using those old bases you have.

Quote:
butting in from March ddc...i know this will sound a little crazy but i ordered my carseat from the netherlands and its THE BEST.
It's illegal to use a seat from another country unless approved by NHTSA (which won't happen in normal circumstances). Not that anyone will probably do anything about it, but at least make sure you have instructions in English and be aware that if you take it to get it installed (I always reccomend) they will try and take the seat from you.

Quote:
But unless you have a small preemie, a Roundabout is a perfectly safe option for a newborn.
Actually most nbs don't fit well into the Britax convertible seats b/c the straps are so high on the bottom slot. If the straps are more than an inch over the baby's shoulders, it can't be used. The slots are 10" and my boys were both long torsoed and had about 7.5".

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#10 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the car seats you mentioned. I haven't looked much into this whole car seat thing very closely. This peg perego one doesn't look like it will last very long. We put my dd's baby in there and it's almost too big for the seat!

thepeach80 - where can you go to have the seat installed for you?

I was torn about getting an infant carseat or convertable because I used the sling a lot with my ds but since this is going to be a winter baby dashing inside with the car seat sounds like its going to be happening a lot more.

One more question I just bought the infant seat, do most infant seats attach to most strollers or does it have to be the same brand? Thanks, Katie
#11 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie-p-
where can you go to have the seat installed for you?

I was torn about getting an infant carseat or convertable because I used the sling a lot with my ds but since this is going to be a winter baby dashing inside with the car seat sounds like its going to be happening a lot more.
http://www.seatcheck.org (I think that's right - google car seat inspection if not)

As for the winter baby thing - my son was born at the beginning of February - in South Dakota. We never had a problem with just putting him in the sling (under my coat usually, but if not the with a blanket tucked around him) from the car seat to wherever we were going. Oftentimes, he was asleep in the seat, woke while being put in the sling, and was back asleep by the time we got in the store/restaurant/wherever.
#12 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 05:03 PM

We have the Peg infant seat, but only b/c I got the Peg Perego Pliko with the infant seat that snaps in for a killa deal. Henry was out of it by 7 months, and while I loved having the convenience of being able to swing him in and out of the car when he was sleeping and run into the store, it really is a very short period of time.

When he outgrew the Peg, we bought a Britax - I think we have the Roundabout? It's the next smaller one than the Triumph, only b/c when we went to get the Triumph, they had recalled it and no one was selling. Anyway, I'm thrilled with our Britax, it's been almost 2 years he's been in it and it's in fab shape.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#13 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I bought the peg for $30 so I thought I would splurge for the car seat that will last longer when the baby outgrows the peg. I have to think about what kind of sling I want too. I've been out of the baby loop for a few years now so I'm slowly trying to figure it all out!

Thanks for the link gen_here that helps a lot.
#14 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If the straps are more than an inch over the baby's shoulders, it can't be used. The slots are 10" and my boys were both long torsoed and had about 7.5".
Do you have a link to this information? My ds was in a roundabout at birth and we had him fitted (well both him and the seat) by the only local child seat safety tech a week after he was born and she never said anything about this.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#15 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
Do you have a link to this information? My ds was in a roundabout at birth and we had him fitted (well both him and the seat) by the only local child seat safety tech a week after he was born and she never said anything about this.
I think the only place to get that info is straight from Britax. If you go by the manual alone though, it specifically says the straps need to be at or below the shoulders in the rfing position and doesn't give any exemptions. There's NO way that would happen w/ a nb baby.

#16 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Yes I see...I pulled out my booklet and it says to use the nearest slot at or below the shoulders. I'm emailing them at this moment because there is no way that would fit a 5 lb baby like the weight requirements states. I want to see what they say about it. I really don't want to buy a seat to use for just a couple months since I have already gotten a new roundabout for the new baby.

#17 of 70 Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 PM

We have a britax companion (infant seat) for the new baby. We got it for our foster baby last fall, and I really love it. It has side-impact protection which also doubles as the only head support I've ever seen that actually supports a newborn head! (The ones our old graco snugrides came with were a joke). It also has an anti-rebound bar (so the car seat can't flip up against the back of the seat. . . while car seats without the anti-rebound bar are supposed to be able to flip back, it always really concerned me and seemed unstable), and better height/weight limitations than many seats. It goes to 22 lbs. and 30", which would have fit my other babies until they were at least a year old (they were big babies--90%+ for the first six months, and then totally slowed down after that). I doubt that we will use it that long though. Probably by summer we will switch the babe over to a britax boulevard (which is what my 3.5-year-olds currently ride in) since he'll probably be happier in the higher seat with more space.

I don't use the infant seat as a carrier when we're out and about, but I do bring it in and out of the house, and will let the baby keep sleeping in it if he's sleeping when we get home. With my twins, sometimes taking them for a drive was the only way to get them to both fall asleep at the same time. So an infant seat is very convenient for me even though I am a 100% slinging mom when we're not at home.

I would not put a newborn in a convertible if I didn't absoultely have to. Unless it was a seriously HUGE baby, it would be very hard to get a good fit.

If anyone is planning to get a britax convertible, I would skip the roundabout and get the boulevard (or marathon, but the boulevard has side-impact protection). My kids outgrew the roundabouts just before they turned three (due to the height of their shoulders, not their total height nor their weight), and I had to buy them each a second convertible seat. We got the boulevards, and they are so far superior to the roundabouts in terms of comfort and ease of use (and they'll last MUCH longer). The side-impact protection on the boulevard acts as the perfect headrest, and my kids went from barely sleeping in the car (in roundabouts) to taking really good naps in the car (so key for those long drives with two three-year-olds who start asking "are we there yet?" 5 minutes into the trip!).

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#18 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 12:21 AM

Oh, the carseat thread... always a great topic! And I mean that sincerely; MDC is a great place to find out what other families are doing.

I'm a middle-of-the-roader with carseats. Meaning I want something that is functional and 'smart' (read; not the cheapest at Target) but I'm not quite to the Britax stage... mainly because I've found the top-of-the-line Graco's suit my needs and still don't cost as much as the Britax. BUT if you do a lot of driving or figure out the cost over the years, the expense of a well fitting, user friendly carseat is easy to justify, IMO.

So for this baby I have an infant seat (I do find that helpful for taking a sleeping baby in and out of the car) that is a Graco Snugride ____ (whatever the latest number is). It was $120 or so. I didn't get the Safeseat just because it's so darn BIG and I knew my kid would switch to a convertible after 6 mo or so.

For a convertible I've been looking at the Britax Marathon (no point in the Roundabout if it's done at 40 lbs like all the other, less expensive car seats) and then I found a new model Graco Something-or-another; which will recline (my older child has always loved to sleep in the car and I'm hoping this one will too!) and is $150. It is done at 40 lbs- the only drawback. So now I'll have to think about if I want to invest almost double in a Britax. I tell ya- those Britaxes are pretty awesome for everyone; baby, mom and carseat installer but they are $$$! We'll see.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#19 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 01:28 AM

We have our Graco Snugride from DD; it's only 3 years old, so it'll be fine for as long as a newborn needs it. We have two bases, one for my car and one for DH's, so we're set there. I do want to get a bunting for the bucket - DD was born in July, so we didn't need it, but this time it'll be handy.

DD is in a Britax Marathon in my car. Given that she's 3 years old, 31 pounds, and not long in the torso, she'll be in that for a good long while. We have a Graco CarGo booster in DH's car, and DD will use that for a long while as well. So we'll end up needing to get new seats for this baby. I like the Marathon a lot, so we'll probably do that for at least my car.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#20 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 11:06 AM

I'm leaning towards getting the Graco saferide. Anyone who has this seat is it good for a small newborn (my other two were small). I'm pretty sure my baby will be able to use this seat for at least the first year and I've heard good things about it and it's 1/2 the price of a Britax. I was supposed to be getting a Britax from a friend but now she needs it for babysitting her niece.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#21 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM

well, we have the infant 'bucket' seat (evenflo) from dd - it's now 3 yrs old - and I think we'll use that for the cold weather months when we need to take babe in and out; we have a diesel car which takes forever to heat up, so I'd rather wrap this little one up safe and warm inside and then take them out rather than put them in a cold seat. Then I think we're leaning towards getting another AlphaOmega (same as dd's) as they seem to be well rated and fit in our budget
#22 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 PM

We have the infant carseat that we had for ds#1 4 years ago... This will be the last baby in it since it expires in March of 2008...

When baby outgrows that seat s/he will go into the Alpha Omega Elite that DS#2 is using, DS#2 will go into the Alpha Omaga that Ds#1 is using and DS#1 will "graduate" to a booster providing that he hits the 40 pound mark by then... (at 4 he is still 35 pounds)

We really like the Alpha Omega... the price is right and the kids are comfy and safe... I also love the fact that they can be RF in it for a long time... we usually turn them after 18 months but they could be in that position for longer...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#23 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM

I was totally prepared to fork over the $ for two Britax convertibles for when my twins arrive but it seems most everyone prefers buckets when they are small. I didn't even think about the shoulder strap on the convertible being too high since it says from 5 lbs and up. Should I nix the idea of getting the convertibles and buy buckets? Anyone like the Safeseat vs. SnugRide?
#24 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonveggieoil
I was totally prepared to fork over the $ for two Britax convertibles for when my twins arrive but it seems most everyone prefers buckets when they are small. I didn't even think about the shoulder strap on the convertible being too high since it says from 5 lbs and up. Should I nix the idea of getting the convertibles and buy buckets? Anyone like the Safeseat vs. SnugRide?
Convertibles are great but I really do like the bucket seats for a newborn... Like Erika said, with the colder months it makes sense to get the baby ready inside in the warm instead of putting them into the cold seat...

Also, I think the bucket seats look more comfy for a newborn then the convertable seats... they seem to get lost in bulk and it doesn't surround them as much...

Also, if you are looking for a convertible that goes for a few stages (like the 5-80 pound ones that are RF, FF with Harness and then Booster) you have to keep in mind that the expiration date is usually 6 years.. So you will never be able to use it until the end anyways especially if you buy it at birth and you will eventually have to buy a booster...

With both boys I bought the convertible when they were about 7-8 months and the weather was getting better and I was leaving the bucket seat in the car most of the time anyways... but even at that age they seems so small in the convertible seat...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#25 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
We had no problem with the convertible (link on page 1) that we got for my son. The lowest shoulder strap holes were well below his shoulders, and it's safe for rear-facing up to 30 pounds (at 18 months he's still only 22 pounds - but had to be turned because we can only fit one rear-facing seat in our wagon. If we get a different car that will fit two rear-facing, he'll be getting turned back around). The seat itself goes up to 40 pounds - so I think we'll have quite a bit of use out of it yet.
#26 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
I'm leaning towards getting the Graco saferide. Anyone who has this seat is it good for a small newborn (my other two were small). I'm pretty sure my baby will be able to use this seat for at least the first year and I've heard good things about it and it's 1/2 the price of a Britax. I was supposed to be getting a Britax from a friend but now she needs it for babysitting her niece.
My boys were just under 7# when we came home and I have pics of them both in their Snugrides (the old 20# ones) if you want to see.

#27 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
You have to remember too that twins often come early and are often small (not always the case, but I'd keep it in mind). Personally I'd get the Chicco Keyfit if I knew my odds were that good of having smaller babies. It starts from 4# instead of 5# and really does work better for smaller babies IMO.

#28 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM

I am expecting my first so all of this is new to me. I was planning to get the Graco "Willow" travel system that comes with the snug ride infant seat that also attatches to the stroller. If anyone has any experience with these I'd love the feedback
#29 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmama1124
I am expecting my first so all of this is new to me. I was planning to get the Graco "Willow" travel system that comes with the snug ride infant seat that also attatches to the stroller. If anyone has any experience with these I'd love the feedback
The only thing I see is that it looks like the harness adjusts in the back. I think you'll be much happier w/ one that adjusts in the front and it's so much easier to use!

#30 of 70 Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
My boys were just under 7# when we came home and I have pics of them both in their Snugrides (the old 20# ones) if you want to see.
Yes, that would really help me decide!!! Thank you!

Heather

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page