refusing GBS test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on refusing my GBS test at my next appointment (34 weeks, w/ hosp. midwife). Does anyone know a good way to go about it?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#2 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Last time, my doctor asked me if I wanted it and I said, "No thank you." That was it!

But I did check to make sure that I didn't "have to" be hooked up to antibiotics as a precaution because I refused the test. She sent orders to the hospital stating that I was not to be given routine abx and I never heard another word about it. She admitted that she's never the first to hop on the bandwagon about new tests and such.

I have the same doctor and same hospital this time... and plan the same approach. I don't expect any different outcome. I can always just refuse the antibiotics if they want to hook me up regardless (though I doubt it - since assisted homebirth is illegal here, the hospital that I choose to birth at is very accomidating to natural birthers... and my doctor used to be their chief of staff, so that helps ).
#3 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm UC'ing, so I know the antibiotics won't be a problem (I think you can refuse them in the hospital even if you are GBS+, the chances of your child getting it is 1 in 200 or so). I'm just wondering if anyone had a doc who was confrontational about it.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#4 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'll let you know when the subjects comes up. So far, I only talked to him about refusing the GTT, which he was fine with. I plan to refuse the GBS as well though.

For my midwife (CPM), she doesn't care if I refuse the GBS. I just have to sign a refusal form to make the state happy. But even if I were GBS+, she wouldn't require abx during labor. She leaves it up to mom (and if you choose abx, you have to hire someone to come run an IV of them, as my midwife doesn't do it herself).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Just curious, why do people decline the GBS test? I am supposed to have mine in about a week and a half, but my midwife just made it sound like it was standard and didn't really discuss the pros/cons of the test.

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#6 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyAnn
Just curious, why do people decline the GBS test? I am supposed to have mine in about a week and a half, but my midwife just made it sound like it was standard and didn't really discuss the pros/cons of the test.
GBS is something that all women will test positive for at some point in their life - pregnant or not... and just because you test positive at 30 weeks doesn't mean you'll test positive on birth-day.

The chance of the baby actually getting sick from GBS is VERY SMALL, and the baby has plenty of time to be showing symptoms after birth. Treating the mom with abx during labor won't necessarily prevent the baby from getting sick (if it would have), but instead can cause other problems (like antibiotic resistance in the baby... or thrush in mom and baby - which is NOT a fun way to start a new nursing relationship).
#7 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych
Thanks, I'm UC'ing, so I know the antibiotics won't be a problem (I think you can refuse them in the hospital even if you are GBS+, the chances of your child getting it is 1 in 200 or so). I'm just wondering if anyone had a doc who was confrontational about it.
I'm not asking this to be sarcastic... but if you're UCing, why does it matter what your midwife thinks? I mean, it's not like she's going to be there for the birth, you know?
#8 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 02:57 PM

I want to know more about GBS. Can anyone suggest websites or resources?

A friend who had her first in New Zealand said they don't test there because pretty much everyone comes up GBS positive and very few babies actually get infected. So she's puzzled why do this here.
#9 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 PM

not in your DDC, but I just went through major turmoil over the GBS stuff. The best information I found was here:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

Covered all kinds of aspects of GBS.

ABX does reduce the risk of infection to the baby from 1 in 200 to 1 in 4000, so it was honestly a very tough call for me. (those stats come from a mothering article) and although very rare, GBS infections can be devastating for a newborn and I wouldn't really care how rare it was if it were my kid, you know? BUT, absent of risk factors, and especially in a homebirth setting your chances of having it affect your baby are very, very, very low. I agonized over what to do with my positive test and ended up ordering the IV abx to use if my water was broken more than 18 hours or if I developed a fever during labor. My m/w had me do vaginal garlic suppositories, and make up an herbal tincture to take during labor with vit c. I also could have done a hibicleanse wash but when it was apparent that my labor was moving quickly, my m/w said I really didn't need to.

My m/w was very much against the abx and felt the hibicleanse would have been sufficient even in a risk factor case. But I couldn't let go of the worry so now I have some fancy unused IV supplies at my house and penicillin in my fridge. Now that it's behind me and I have a beautiful, HEALTHY 3 day old baby, I wish I had trusted her and not worried about it so much. I almost wish I had never taken the test, but it was nice to be able to take some non medical precautions, like the herbs and garlic.

I think the US is much more preoccupied with GBS because a lot of those infections (IMO, and from the extensive reading I did) come from the hospital...healthcare workers notoriously have more of all kinds of strep and staph bacteria in their bodies. We should be concerned about this willy nilly use of abx though, because we've also got some of the most abx resistant infections in the world now too.

sorry so long but after all I went through with the GBS agonizing I thought I should share.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#10 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
Now that it's behind me and I have a beautiful, HEALTHY 3 day old baby, I wish I had trusted her and not worried about it so much.
Congrats on your little one! Eliana is a beautiful name. I might have to steal it if I weren't having a boy.

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#11 of 15 Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 PM

I have never been tested for it. I had never even heard of it til I was pregnant with #3 but my midwife didn't test me. Shrug.

I don't plan on being tested this time either.
#12 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
I'm not asking this to be sarcastic... but if you're UCing, why does it matter what your midwife thinks? I mean, it's not like she's going to be there for the birth, you know?
I just want to know what to expect.

#13 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Unfortunately, not knowing your midwife, who knows what her reaction may be. But... if she really pushes for the GBS, it's likely that she'd just say "well you have to have antibiotics in labor then", which wouldn't apply to you since you're doing a UC anyway. So that's where the UC causes this issue to be moot. Your midwife can't strap you down and force a swab into your nether regions. And since you're not actually birthing with her in the hospital, it just doesn't matter what consequence she might hand down for refusing the test.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#14 of 15 Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
not in your DDC, but I just went through major turmoil over the GBS stuff. The best information I found was here:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

Covered all kinds of aspects of GBS.
Thanks so much for this great resource.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 15 Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
GBS is something that all women will test positive for at some point in their life - pregnant or not... and just because you test positive at 30 weeks doesn't mean you'll test positive on birth-day.

The chance of the baby actually getting sick from GBS is VERY SMALL, and the baby has plenty of time to be showing symptoms after birth. Treating the mom with abx during labor won't necessarily prevent the baby from getting sick (if it would have), but instead can cause other problems (like antibiotic resistance in the baby... or thrush in mom and baby - which is NOT a fun way to start a new nursing relationship).
:

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page