Will I have to have a c-sec because of Varicose Veins in the Vulva - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mommas, I am so bummed. I found out yesterday that I have a horrible varicose vein running right down my vulva on the left side. It's so painful and I can hardly go to the bathroom to do either without it hurting. I have never experienced these horrible things before and don't know how to remedy it. I don't have them in my legs... just my hoo hoo. I don't know if there's any way to get rid of them or just reduce the discomfort. Support hose won't do the trick because they aren't in my legs. And now I'm sooo worried that I may end up with a c-section because of this darn thing....:
I googled Varicose Veins in the Vulva and read some stories of other moms that developed them during pregnancy and they went on to have vaginal births and they said they went away after the birth of their child.... oh, I hope so. I am so depressed right now, I feel like crying.
#2 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM

There should be no reason that you need a c-section for vericose veins. They are very common in pregnancy - even in the vulva. Many women develope them from pushing, too.

I would talk to your doctor/midwife before treating them with over-the-counter stuff because of their location (like Preparation H), but things like Tucks pads or witch hazel on tp/cloth is okay... and cold packs can help, too. Try not to stay sitting too long at one stretch if you can, too.

They will most likely go away after birth =)
#3 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One thing I did for my 'roids was to keep a bottle of witch hazel in the bathroom. When they're acting up, I put witch hazel on the TP I'm about to wipe with. It helps SOOOOO much. Do this every time you go the bathroom. Witch hazel is what's in Tuck's pads, but buying a bottle of it is pretty cheap.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
One thing I did for my 'roids was to keep a bottle of witch hazel in the bathroom. When they're acting up, I put witch hazel on the TP I'm about to wipe with. It helps SOOOOO much. Do this every time you go the bathroom. Witch hazel is what's in Tuck's pads, but buying a bottle of it is pretty cheap.
I would LOVE for this to help.... but I don't have hemrrhoids (yet). The varicose vein I have is running along my vulva...: topicals will do me no good at all.... I did talk to my doctor in the meantime and I'm going to be fitted for a "pre-natal cradle" that has an insert... What the hell that is I have no clue... I don't even care at this point.... I just want some relief... and poor DH... sex is absolutely out of the question
#5 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM

A friend of mine said that wearing a maternity belt helps by reducing the pressure down there. Hope you feel better. I'm getting them on my inner left thigh. yuck.
#6 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wonder if getting a chiropractic adjustment would help.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I wonder if getting a chiropractic adjustment would help.
I don't know if it would help but it does sound HEAVENLY right about now. My back is another sore subject.. (no pun intended.... )
#8 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm no expert here and cannot speak from personal experience, but there were women on my pregnancy due date lists who had these and they went on to have normal vaginal births. I think you will be fine.
#9 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama
A friend of mine said that wearing a maternity belt helps by reducing the pressure down there. Hope you feel better. I'm getting them on my inner left thigh. yuck.
I think that's something like what my doctor advised I get, but from what I understand, this particular kind has some sort of insert or attachment that's supposed to support or apply pressure to the area... I was told it looks like a chasity belt... great...: Maybe if I'd worn one sooner, I wouldn't be in this situation at all....

Just kidding.... I'm happy to be pregnant, just not loving some of the side effects.
#10 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had one with dd, it went away after her birth (no issues what so ever with birthing her vaginally), it came back in the middle of the 2nd tri this time. I hear ya on the no sex, DH hasn't gotten luky in several months, nothing is getting anywhere near that area. I get adjusted every 2 weeks so that hasn't helped, but mine isn't very painful, more uncomfortable then anything.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 17 Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 PM

A couple more suggestions -

- In the book "Active Birth", they suggest doing 50-100 quick kegels 2x a day to help with varicosities (particularly hemorroids and vulvar).

- There are a few ideas on this site as well:
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancya...172740,00.html
# For quick relief and to reduce swelling, apply an ice pack, or a pack of frozen peas. A discreet way to ease piles is to soak a few sanitary towels in water and freeze them. Use as necessary to relieve the pain.
# Cherries, blackberries, European blueberries (bilberries) and hawthorn-berries are all rich in flavonoids and chemicals called oligomeric procyanidines, which reduce vein fragility, increase the muscular tone of the veins and strengthen the venous walls. Foods such as raw garlic, onions and parsley will improve the elasticity of your veins. Include these foods liberally in you daily diet.
# Try homeopathic Hamamelis 6 three times daily for up to a week, or until symptoms improve. Calcarea fluorica 6 taken three times daily for up to a week may also improve tissue elasticity.
# A herbal ointment made from horse chestnut will reduce swelling. Or try one tablespoon of arnica tincture or lotion diluted in a litre of cold water – apply twice daily to the affected areas using a saturated washcloth.
# Alternatively, you can make your own ointment by blending several essential oils. Try mixing 10 drops each of essential oils of cypress and lavender (or geranium) and 5 drops each of rosemary (or juniper) and chamomile. A massage oil can then be made by adding 15 drops of this mix to an ounce of carrier oil, which should be rubbed gently into the legs, above the varicose area, several times a day. For haemorrhoids, mix 10 drops of the essential oil blend into one tablespoon of KY jelly, then apply.
# A cool sitz (a shallow bath in which only your bottom and hips are immersed) may help improve circulation. Add distilled witch hazel to reduce swelling. Another trick is to alternate a hot and cold shower spray several times over the affected area.
# Deficiencies in vitamins E (found in sunflower seeds, soya, broccoli, wheat germ and salmon) and C (found in citrus fruits, berries, kiwi fruits, peppers and watercress) have been linked with varicosities. You should have 400iu E and 1000mg C daily.
# Acupuncture and shiatsu massage will improve circulation, and so will regular exercise. Varicosities of the vulva will usually disappear after birth. Those in the anus or legs may or may not improve, depending on what action you take to prevent or relieve them during pregnancy.
#12 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 AM

I get them, they are miserable but go away - I've had three vaginal births.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#13 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your pain!
...and I'm right there with you--well, I have the swelling, but not the pain. I pushed with my dd for 3 hours and my vulva felt like a small cat between my legs for a long time! So I'm thinking that made it easier for me to have this problem with this pg. I'm more swollen on the right than the left--and I can feel more 'heat' there--but no pain. I'm thinking as I keep getting larger, I may start to feel discomfort.
I hope we all get to feeling better--most likely it will be after our births!
#14 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful1
I was told it looks like a chasity belt... great...: Maybe if I'd worn one sooner, I wouldn't be in this situation at all....
Okay, your situation sounds terrible.... especially since it's not like we're due next week or anything- but this made me laugh!! You're funny!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM

I am pregnant for the 3rd time, one full term vaginal birth, one miscarrage at 11 weeks, and now 28 weeks gestation and I have varicose veins in my vulva and right leg. My veins hurt mostly when standing still or sitting on the toilet. Sex is still tolerable but boy does it get really swollen with the extra blood flow of arousal. My midwife suggested wearing a maternity belt to help relieve pressure and improved circulation. The other thing I started doing this week because I seem to be constantly in pain somewhere on my body is swimming laps. It is wonderful!!! I feel so normal in the pool. None of my veins hurt (the water pressure provides great support) and the exercise improves my overall mood. I am also trying to drink pomegranate juice as recommended in one of the above posts for its helathy effect on vein health.
Hang in there...I know your pain.
Gisele
#16 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you mommas for all the support and suggestions. I hate that anyone else has to go through this but at the same time, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one and it's normal and more than likely it will go away.
#17 of 17 Old 08-30-2006, 07:26 PM

I had a pretty large (small egg size) varicosity in my vulva with both of my pregnancies, worse in the second. While it was awful during the pregnancy, it wasn't an issue during the births, and went back to normal a few weeeks or so after the births. Natural vaginal deliveries.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page