Crib,Bassinet,co-sleeper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting my first in Novemebr. When I first found out I was pregnant I bought used bassinet. I don't want to use it now because it is completely made of plastic and I feel weird about the toxins that plastics put off. We don't have a lot of money so I was considering just getting a crib and starting her in that but a bassinet or co-sleeper seems so much more convenient and comforting for a newborn. We are not planning to have a family bed because my husband has a sleep disorder and I don't feel safe having her in bed with us at first. If I do go with a crib can I put one of those family bed snuggly things in it so she feels more secure? I also have a used Pack 'n Play that has a bassinet but it doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable for her to sleep in long term. I guess I am just freaking out about finding something natural, inexpensive, but all safe. Any suggestions?
#2 of 22 Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 PM

First one of the rules for safe Co-sleeping is to not have baby next to dad and instead be on the mom's side of the bed... So your Dh shouldn't be a problem for the family bed unless he often rolls right over you and onto the other side.. (which I hope he doesn't )

If you really don't want to do the family bed for other reasons then the pack & play next to the bed is a good option for the first few months (until they can't be in the upper portion anymore.... the mattress is actually firm but soft and there is a lot of air circulation because of the mesh sides and it is not too high or too low... and then when babe outgrows that then you may reconcider the family bed, a mattress on the floor or another option...

HTH...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#3 of 22 Old 08-30-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Dh kicks involuntarily all night long. I also have trouble waking him. He will have his eyes open and talk to me but I will realize he is still asleep because he isn't making sense and then he gets irritated. We are looking into it medically but it just makes me nervous since I can't immediately wake him up at night. I don't know if he will be able to help me with feedings/changings at night either.

We will probably use the pack 'n play at first. I bought it used and checked the recalls and haven't found anything so I feel pretty confident. It is the Graco Pack 'n Play 9046xt. It also came with an extra pad that the previous owner must have used that is pretty thick but I feel nervous adding it in. I am having a really hard time feeling safe about anything I buy used (or new for that matter) I think I am just letting my anxiety get the best of me.
#4 of 22 Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM

My DH is a heavy sleeper, but we have a king bed. So I put a LONG body pillow right down the middle and he and all his wondering body parts stayed on his side. I slept with the baby right next to me and could then nurse either side easily (I had a 'roll' on the side near the floor, so baby couldn't roll off either. It was so much nicer.

We have a crib that neither of my two boys have even slept in! I have an antique crib, and ditto....and while they did take naps in the play pen, they never slept in it at night.

Now Dh has his own mattress on the floor next to my side of the bed, and the two boys are in bed with me all night, as Dh is working nights anyway. I'm thinking I will 'steal' the floor mattress for new baby and me, and boys can keep the bed to themselves and Dh can crash with them when he comes to bed at 5am!

I've heard good things about co-sleepers to go besides mom's side of the bed, but really...for nursing and better sleep, I love having them right besides me!
#5 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I used a bassinet at first, but DS really didn't like it as much as the pack-n-play bassinet (I have a Graco with a full bassinet). Plus the bassinet is so SMALL, that they can outgrow it really quick. And DS was a preemie!

I used the p-n-p until he hit the 15 lb weight limit, and then he went to a crib (he was sleeping 10 hours through the night at that point, so he was ok going to his room). One benefit of the p-n-p is that it's wide, so switching to a crib is not a scary ordeal because it's the same width, pretty much. And in the early days of using the p-n-p, you can swaddle to make baby feel more snug.

We tried co-sleeping, but that just didn't work out for us. DH and I couldn't get comfortable, and we can't put our bed up against a wall or anything, so safety was also an issue (because of room layout). So it just worked out better for us to have the p-n-p in the room with us so nursing was still easy. Yes, I had to get out of bed, but I was used to that after getting up every 2 hours (or less!) to pee throughout pregnancy.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM

We used our crib as a "side car" until ds was 2 when we moved him into his own room (he gets into bed with us around 3 or 4 am still). My reason was that I really wanted a secure place for him to nap during the day and sleep before we went to bed at night. So thats how it worked for ages, I put him down in his crib right along side our bed and then he came to bed with us when he awoke. He uses his crib as a toddler bed now.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Hey mama,

we're also in the position of not being able to cosleep completely, as I take a rx med that can be sedating. Soooo, with this babe we plan to do what we did with dd - we have a Pack and Play thingy with the bassinet bit and will have that *right* next to the bed - so that I can actually have my hand out and touch babe...Of course, I lost count of the times that dh woke up to find dd and I snuggled up asleep together as I used to nod off whilst bf'ing and she'd end up cradled on my shoulder breathing into my neck...ahhhhhhhh the memories
#8 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 AM

We co-sleep for the most part. However, if I'm super tired after I nurse to sleep, I will move my dear babes to a bassinet that is next to my side of our bed. But by morning baby is usually sleeping next to me again from a middle of the early morning nursing. The first babe had a Pack N Play bassinet, the next 2 had a metal framed with cloth bassinet that could rock. Space is limited this time around, so I'm not sure what we'll pull down from storage. I might invest in on of those hammocks!

Once my babes sleep through the night, I will move them to a crib in another room with a sibling across the hall.
#9 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 AM

there is this safe and secure sleeper thing that BRU has. We got it at my shower, I really like it. We also got a hand me down bassinet. We are going to try the sleeper thing till little one is 3 months prolly and then in bed or bassinet with us. I grew up in a family bed and LOVE the comfort of snuggling with mom or dad so I'm a big believer in that
#10 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 PM

We will probably use the pack 'n play at first. I bought it used and checked the recalls and haven't found anything so I feel pretty confident. It is the Graco Pack 'n Play 9046xt. It also came with an extra pad that the previous owner must have used that is pretty thick but I feel nervous adding it in. I am having a really hard time feeling safe about anything I buy used (or new for that matter) I think I am just letting my anxiety get the best of me.[/QUOTE]

Did you check on the government recall website? that is the best place, it has all the latest bulletins. Wish I had the website on the tip of my tongue here , anyone know it?

I have to say as long as I've checked all the recalls on a used item I feel much better using it.

1) it has offgassed already!
2) we are recycling and helping the planet
3) it is more likely that if there were some sort of problem with the item it would have showed up in a recall already.
(my reasoning is if the item is a new introduction, there will be most likely recalls on its design element safety etc within the next year or two of it being "tested" out by unfortunate little babes.

That said, I would be careful buying a used infant seat in case there is a hareline crack or anything like that. But if you inspect cribs/pack n plays you should be able to note anything that would be unsafe.

I bought a used car seat from a girl in the moms club that I trust and know it hasn't been in a wreck.
Boy, I sure know how to stray off topic, huh?

bottom line, don't be anxious, you are doing great to check recalls and everything will be fine.
Erica
#11 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 01:49 PM

We bought the Graco p-n-p that's also a bassinet and changing table. We're just going to use that for the first two or three months. I'm going to just slide it right up to our bed. Co-sleeping is NOT an option for either of us.... I continuously move all night long and so does DH... in addition to that, we only have a queen size bed. I would feel safer if our darling babe had his own space that dh and I can't roll into.
#12 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I checked the consumer reports website is that the same as the government website? If anyone has the web address for other places to check recalls that would be great.

#13 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 PM

I just thought of something you (or another mom) might like, if you worry about 'moving' around alot. It's called a 'close and secure' sleeper. It's got firm sides so you can't roll on top of baby, but baby is still close. I used one for a little bit with my first son, and then gave it to a friend, so I'd totally forgotten all about them!

Here is a link:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...17761/117.html
#14 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks the sleeper looks like it might be a good option. It is also inexpensive so if it doesn't work I'm not out a bunch of money. I am still looking into the co-sleeping cribs that hook onto the side of the bed. If anyone has used one that they liked let me know.
#15 of 22 Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmama1124
Thanks the sleeper looks like it might be a good option. It is also inexpensive so if it doesn't work I'm not out a bunch of money. I am still looking into the co-sleeping cribs that hook onto the side of the bed. If anyone has used one that they liked let me know.
Most normal cribs can be side carred...

Here is one way that it can be done...

http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw

and here is a pic of another...

http://purplekangaroopuzzle.blogspot...ecar-crib.html

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#16 of 22 Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
DD's crib coverts into a toddler bed. (and she never sleep in it even ONCE until she was 2.5 and it had been coverted. ) But I would think if you coverted it to a toddler bed you should be able to push it right up to your mattress. My only concern would be finding a way to anchor it so it doesn't slide away to leave a gap for the baby to fall into.
#17 of 22 Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

I just wanted to say that I was super nervous about co-sleeping before I had my first babies (twins). I thought that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them right next to me (I am generally a deep sleeper). But I also thought it made the most sense (with nursing), so we planned to co-sleep eventually (and put our king-sized mattress on the floor), but started out with the babies in wicker moses baskets on top of our bed. This lasted for a few nights, but that's it because I discovered that I was actually MORE nervous with the babies in the baskets since I couldn't tell if they were still breathing or whatever. I felt safest with them sleeping right on my chest (one slept on dw's chest), so that I could feel them breathing (and I also read that it helps regulate babies' breathing to sleep like that), and then after a couple of weeks I started spooning them instead. But, anyway, for those who feel nervous about co-sleeping, I am guessing that this is one of those anxieties that will fade very quickly after the babe arrives and you see how very attuned you are to your baby and how very strong your tiny newborn really is (I tried putting blankets over my newborn's faces, and they quickly got them off and squirmed and squaked).

We have a hammock bed for this baby (www.ambybaby.com) that I am really excited to use for naps, and possibly some in the night too (though I'm guessing I'll be waaaay to lazy to put the baby in it in the middle of the night). There's another model (www.happyhangup.com) that looks good, and might be a good model to try and copy (for those who are creative and crafty like that) if $$ is an issue.

Everyone I know who bought one of the "co-sleepers" never ended up using it for more than a changing table/pillow holder. My babies were unable to stay sleeping in a crib of any sort (they only slept with us, in a sling, in the car, or in a baby swing), so I'm skeptical of all cribs!

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#18 of 22 Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 PM

We co-sleep with the last baby but it made DH super nervous. He always thought he was gonna roll over on the baby. After looking at the prodcut listed earlier in this thread, I also found this one at Babies R Us.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...#prod_prodinfo

They have one in stock so we are gonna go by and look at it. My only problem with the other one (which is only $35. at babycenter btw) was that all the reviews said the baby grew out of it much much too fast. This one has an open foot area so it look like it will accomadate longer babies. Since DH is 6'6" and this is our first boy, that is a huge concern of ours.
#19 of 22 Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We used a co-sleeper with our daughter and LOVED it. My husband was uncomfortable with having the baby sleep in bed with us but we both wanted to co-sleep. The co-sleeper kept her within my arms reach and I could just roll over and nurse her then go back to sleep. We all slept much better and sleep is KEY for everyone (not to mention all the other positives for baby).

They are a little pricey but I bought one used on E-Bay or if you have a Craigslist or mom's group in your area that you could access for used baby supplies, that is another way to go.
#20 of 22 Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

So I think we have decided to buy new pack n play and use the bassinet part when she comes home and figure the rest out after she is born. I was going to get the Graco Willow PnP but it has bumper pads that you can't remove which I heard is a no-no because of ventilation. I found one with no pads that is a little more expensive. It is the Graco Baby Einstein Pack n Play. Just wanting feedback if anyone elso has used this one before I buy it. Thanks.
#21 of 22 Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't have the Einstein pnp, but I have a Graco pnp with full bassinet and no crib bumper thingy. I've been very happy with it. I used the bassinet part until he hit the weight limit (I think it's 15 lbs, but I don't remember). The nice thing is that it's wide like a crib, so when you move from pnp bassinet to crib, it's not a shock to the baby. DS slept all night his very first night in the crib - no problem.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#22 of 22 Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 PM

We're doing the family bed at night, but I have a pack n play for naptime.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page