Evening Primrose Oil? - Mothering Forums

Evening Primrose Oil?

averil rose's Avatar averil rose (TS)
11:43 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 8
08-30-2006 | Posts: 86
Do any of you have experience with taking evening primrose oil the last 6-8 weeks before birth? I asked my midwife and she didn't seem to think it was really necessary, but I would like to know if any of you have pro/con experiences with it. I am going to begin drinking RRL tea as soon as it gets here (I had to order it), and other than my pre-natal vitamin I'm not taking anything else. Thoughts?
Mrs_Hos's Avatar Mrs_Hos
01:10 AM Liked: 0
#2 of 8
08-31-2006 | Posts: 1,541
First, I love my RRL tea! I definitely have more BH contrax--which I'm telling myself is really giving my uterus a good work out! I want to whip this uterus into shape for this birth--it's gonna be great!

Second...I've heard good things about EPO...and was advised by my doulas to take it by mouth in the last 6 wks, and also insert vaginally in the last 2 wks--then do perineal massage to prepare for birth.
A friend of mine did this recently and delivered an almost 10lb baby who was almost 23" and only received a tiny scratch--couldn't even call it a 'tear'...course she delivered in water and hypnobirthed, so who knows which of those things really made for such a nice delivery ya know? I'm gonna try it all though because I don't want a tear this time! My last tear was small, but it tore into a lubricating gland and caused LOTS of pain for months....finally had to have the Dr burn the scar tissue off to let it reheal--then it was ok.
rainbowfairymomma's Avatar rainbowfairymomma
04:50 PM Liked: 11
#3 of 8
08-31-2006 | Posts: 1,051
My midwife gave it to me to take only when I was 41 weeks? (because I thought my baby would never come ) Not sure why?!
I think it was ironic but the day after I started it I went into labor.
averil rose's Avatar averil rose (TS)
11:01 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 8
08-31-2006 | Posts: 86
Thanks for your replies, ladies. I am thinking I will go ahead and begin taking them in a few weeks, then. They can't hurt, right?
lexbeach's Avatar lexbeach
05:02 PM Liked: 20
#5 of 8
09-01-2006 | Posts: 5,040
My midwife also wants me to begin inserting the capsules vaginally at 37 weeks. They are supposed to help soften the cervix. I don't know about taking them by mouth.

HTH!

Lex
citymama's Avatar citymama
09:11 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 8
09-01-2006 | Posts: 533
Hi, Lex. Is it okay for VBAC mamas to take EPO? I've heard different things, but nothign definitive. Thanks!
lexbeach's Avatar lexbeach
09:20 PM Liked: 20
#7 of 8
09-01-2006 | Posts: 5,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama
Hi, Lex. Is it okay for VBAC mamas to take EPO? I've heard different things, but nothign definitive. Thanks!
I've never heard that it's not okay, and my midwife recommended it (vaginally anyway), and she's a hospital midwife (who is insisting on continuous fetal monitoring and a hep. lock due to the vbac. . . so she's not like a super lenient midwife or anything). I don't see why it would be a problem since it really shouldn't cause stronger contractions or start labor artificially. Honestly, everyone I know who's used EPO has still gone quite "post-dates" so I'm not even sure that I believe it does much of anything, but I'm gonna try it just in case it helps!

HTH!

Lex
rainbowfairymomma's Avatar rainbowfairymomma
07:56 PM Liked: 11
#8 of 8
09-02-2006 | Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama
most def! I had a VBAC last time and had just begun to take them!
Reply Subscribe November 2006