Help with names. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-31-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I have already agreed on Lily as a first name becuase I had a dream about giving birth to a girl and naming her Lily one year before we conceived. The middle name is more difficult. Lily is my paternal great grandmothers middle name which is nice because my paternal grandmother passed away several years ago. My maternal grandmother passed away two weeks ago and I want to use her mother's name, Margurite. Dh doesn't like it very much. Before my grandmother,Mary, passed away we had been planning to name her Lily Iola(his grandmother's name). So I have been thinking about Lily Iola Mary. However due to our last name her initials would be LIMP. I love Lily Margurite but DH didn't really have a choice on the first name because of the dream so I don't want to make him feel bad if he doesn't like me 1st coice. Any opinions would be appreciated. Also I just looked up iola which means violet dawn which is interesting because I have been asking for purple stuff instead of pink (just getting a purple vibe from her).
#2 of 6 Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm not in your DDC, just name obsessed :

i really like Lily Margurite. Lily Violet is cute, but a little funny (2 flower names), but takes the meaning of Iola. what are some other family names that you would consider using?

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#3 of 6 Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I really dislike all of the other girl names from my grnamothers side of the family but want to honor her. I considered Violet but my Dh granmother Iola's sister's name is Viola and they aren't on speaking terms and it would probably be seen as an insult to her it I used the name Violet. I also thought about the two flower thing when that name came up. I like Lily Iola but I really like Lily Margurite. My mom suggested Lily Iola-Mary so that the intials wouldn't be funny but that seems odd to me.
#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM

I really love Lily Margeurite - you still have two flower names there though too (margeurite = daisy)
#5 of 6 Old 08-31-2006, 11:20 PM

Have you thought about using both names? My dd had 2 mn's because I couldn't decide which to use and I loved them both so my sister and I were thinking about it and we were like, "Hey! Why not just use both of them!" I think Lily Iola Margurite sounds very classic. Really pretty. But it also has to flow w/ the last name and that can be tricky!

JMO.
#6 of 6 Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I thougth about Lily Iola Marguerite but the reason my DH doesn't like Lily Marguerite is becuase it seems like "too much" whatever that means. Okay I'm getting a little bitter because I have a name I love and he won't agree. I know that I am being a bit unreasonable but I just love it and it honors my grandmother. I'm not opposed to two middle names which is why I thought Lily Iola Mary thingking it wouldn't seem like "too much": for my DH and I can still use my grnadmothers name but I just don't like it as much. At this point I told my DH we would wait until she is born and hope that she lets us know ( I'm really hoping that by then he will change his mind-that sounds awful)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page