Baby's position... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...when is the baby 'supposed' to start being head down? I feel like this baby is staying head down now...actually legs/toes under my right ribs, head down by my left hip.
Just wondering where everyone elses baby is...or if they are still 'rotating' a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 PM

My little on is still head up I'm 30 weeks and hoping he or she turns!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:14 PM

At my last two midwife visits, my baby was head down but she told me last week that they is plenty of time for him to switch around. I am supposed to walk stairs or just walk to encourage him to stay this way - rocks the pelvis. I have no idea whether or not he is flipping around! I have lots of pain (almost numb at times) in my upper left ribs which I assume is from kicking.

(I will be 31 weeks on Tuesday.)
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM

Yesterday my midwife told me she thinks the baby is laying sideways. She couldn't tell if they were facing in or out, maybe due to the "extra padding". But this is one little kicker and spinner so I'm not getting worried yet.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Head down here!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 09-02-2006, 01:14 AM

My baby has been head down for several weeks now, but there is still room for several weeks to move (if you are breech). I am making sure I keep good posture and try to avoid chairs and couches to keep the baby LOA instead of posterior. Lately he/she has been switching from LOA to ROA, but I don't mind as long as I don't have another posterior baby!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:42 AM

I asked my chiro when I should be concerned (Zy likes to hang out transverse). She said to check with my doctor.

I asked my doctor Monday... and she said that really, the babe will flip a lot yet and not to "worry" until about 3-4 weeks from edd. I know this is a lively babe because s/he wouldn't stay still long enough to get a heart rate calculated!

If you're really concerned about head-up right now, you can do a few things to try and encourage baby to turn and stay down. No reclining (sit up straight or even slightly forward), pelvic tilts on hands and knees, visit spinningbabies.com, find a chiro you trust who does the Webster Technique should you need it. I've heard others suggest acupuncture (personally squigs me out - but that doesn't mean it won't work!).
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 AM

I am 30 weeks with twins and both babies are frank breech (butt first) so far.

here is the spinning babies site. http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:16 AM

this little monkey is transverse at the moment...but he's still moving a lot so I'm not too worried - yet
Old 09-02-2006, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This one has been head down at least since my 20 week u/s. Kind of surprised me! He didn't start really flopping around until the last 2 weeks (I'm 28 weeks). And I'm 99% sure he's still head down most of the time. Sometimes I think he goes transverse, especially when I lay down. I think he's just a baby compass, always wanting his head pointed towards the earth!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM

At my last appointment, at 29 weeks 5 days, my MW said transverse. At the 20 week ultrasound, he/she was head up. I don't really ever know if the head has been down because I'm really not sure what I'm feeling when I feel lots of movement very low (arms, etc, if it's transverse? feet if it's breech?) I don't think if I've felt much movement above my belly button (although I do have an anterior placenta, again, which could be buffering the movements...which means I'm guessing I'm in for another long, posterior labor ) I do remember what rib pain feels like from DD, and I don't think I've had that yet, so I figure that's going to be my only real tip that he/she is head down. I hope if it's not head down by 34-36 weeks, at least he/she will stay transverse, since my MW said it's much easier to turn transverse than breech.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM

this guy has been head down since my 24 or 25 week cervical scan. Last week, he was pushing WAY down on my cervix with the top of his head, it was freaky to see on the ultrasound. His back is up against my belly, towards my right side, and his bum is up top, with his legs going back down towards cervix. It's hysterical to watch him playing with his feet and sucking his toes on the ultrasounds.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 PM

This babe is head down and has been for weeks.
I pray it doesn't decided to turn
I can definately tell which was its laying because of the movements. I asked me MW last time I saw her and she said I was spot on

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM

forgot to add that my last was head down forever, right up until just about 2 hours before he was born (at 32 weeks) when he did a flip to frank breech. Really, up till about 86 weeks or so they can turn any which way they want if they are determined enough, LOL!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
Really, up till about 86 weeks or so they can turn any which way they want if they are determined enough, LOL!
I thought going over 41 weeks was bad... I feel for THAT mama ^^^^

Old 09-03-2006, 04:43 AM

my babe is heads down posterior, and seems to really enjoy trying to stick a fist or foot out my belly button.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 09-03-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
I thought going over 41 weeks was bad... I feel for THAT mama ^^^^

ROFLOL!!! Oppp! Meant to put 36 weeks - maybe a bit of a subconscious slip indicating that I feel like I've been pregnant FOREVER?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 PM

I felt hiccoughs (for the first time!!!!) last night down deep near my cervix. Does that mean head down?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 PM

gen_here: YES! That's usually a sign of head down.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 PM

I had an ultrasound last Wednesday at 30 weeks, and this babe is currently footling breech. It explains why I feel like the entire baby is up under my ribs.

I'm not concerned and neither is the OB. Besides, DD was head down and pretty firmly engaged at about 32 weeks and that was just danged uncomfortable! So I'd be happy to wait for this one to turn a few weeks past that.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
Old 09-03-2006, 11:22 PM

I am not sure of my little one's position, but I am doing all I can to encourage him/her to get the head down. A couple of people suggested walking stairs, rocking on hands and knees (we do this a lot in prenatal yoga), and also to add to the list, swimming. Not only does swimming feel GREAT, you are in a supportive enviroment that give the baby room to move, unlike when you are staning or sitting. I've got a two year old, so I am on my hands and knees a lot during the day.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 AM

29 weeks and she is all over the place. usually feel like arms or legs on the left side. Head down isn't much in my book. I want chin in, back of head presenting evenly on my cervix, body on the leftish and back facing out. If I get all that I'll be estatic.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
32 weeks and definately head down, my poor ribs are taking a beating from little feet. I wasn't sure where babe was at until recently. I've never bothered to feel around and my new MW couldn't tell a few weeks ago. I was ok with babe being breech, but it definately makes it easier being head down. I just wish babe wasn't so engaged already, so not comfortable.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Little man is currently head down... but he flips a lot. He goes from head down to transverse. I'm really not that worried about it though because he's never flipped all the way to the breech position... and hopefully he won't. I'm going for a vbac this time and that's the only thing that would keep me from having one.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 AM

Well, had my midwife appt yesterday, and she could tell he's definitely verticle (smack dab in the middle of my belly still), but couldn't tell the difference between head and butt yet. I'm 99% sure he's head down though, since hiccups are felt down low, and he just feels the same as when he was head down on the u/s at 20 weeks (well, except that he's much bigger now ). I think my extra maternal cushioning this time has made it harder to distinguish head from butt.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM

31 weeks here, and she is transverse.
The spinning site is very interesting, thanks to those who linked to it

User Tag List