thepeach- carseat question for you. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know you're a tech, you also happen to be in my ddc, and this is about the baby to be, so what better place to ask right?

right now i have two RF marathons in the middle row of my 7 passenger SUV (subaru tribecca) outboard. i would ideally like to keep them all in the middle row most of the time, maybe moving one of them (probobly my 3yo) to the third row for long trips, as it will be a total pain to buckle and unbuckle a RF carseat in the third row, i think i would probobly have to do it from the trunk.

anyway. yesterday i tried the companion in the middle, and it fit, but only if the marathons were installed slightly off center. does that make sense? they were scooted about an inch to the outside, and installed with the seatbelt. the guy at the store told me it was fine as long as i could shut the doors, but he also told me that i should just turn my older kids around because then it would definately fit, so i dont think he really knows what he's talking about.

is this okay? i tried another more narrow infant seat (a combi) and it was pretty much the same deal, because the handle was the widest part and it was only 1/2" narrower.

it seems i don't have a whole lot in the way of options. i could replace the marathons with 2 radians, but i don't think my husband would be too happy with that.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 PM

The thing is w/ what you're describing is it's hard to know if the seats are installed well independent of each other. That's the key to having 3 across. Could you install them all and then somehow get the middle seat out to see if the outer 2 are still installed well? IF they are installed nice and tight still w/out the middle seat, then it's fine. My 3yo is too big to rf and I can only have 2 in the middle so AJ will be in the back row and the 2 youngest will be rfing up front. How big is your 3yo? If he's close to the rfing limits, you might just go ahead and turn him if using the middle is that important. If he's rfing in the back row, you would probably have to put him through the trunk. I've had moms have to do that before though b/c of multiples etc. Could you replace maybe 1 MA w/ a Radian? Do you have a place that sells Radians there where you could try one out and see? I know the one we have was the key to getting 3 across in our old car.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 09-06-2006, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
The thing is w/ what you're describing is it's hard to know if the seats are installed well independent of each other. That's the key to having 3 across. Could you install them all and then somehow get the middle seat out to see if the outer 2 are still installed well? IF they are installed nice and tight still w/out the middle seat, then it's fine.
i didn't really try, but i think that i could. i'll try when i actually buy my seat.

Quote:
My 3yo is too big to rf and I can only have 2 in the middle so AJ will be in the back row and the 2 youngest will be rfing up front. How big is your 3yo? If he's close to the rfing limits, you might just go ahead and turn him if using the middle is that important.
he's 29 pounds and 38 inches tall. i would really prefer to keep him RF, if for no other reason than he hates FF. he stepped on the scale at a friends house that said he weighed 33 pounds, so i turned him until i could weigh him more accurately and he didn't like it at all, he kept trying to get in his little brother's seat and said they could trade.

Quote:
If he's rfing in the back row, you would probably have to put him through the trunk. I've had moms have to do that before though b/c of multiples etc. Could you replace maybe 1 MA w/ a Radian? Do you have a place that sells Radians there where you could try one out and see? I know the one we have was the key to getting 3 across in our old car.
i have actually tried the radian in my car and i got a good fit outboard with the seatbelt and latch, RF and FF. didn't try in the middle though.

another question for you. our third row doesn't have side curtain airbags, which is one of the reasons i don't want to use it unless i have to. i didn't really think about it when we bought the car because we had just had number two, and it seemed so roomy, plus we love our subarus. if i do use the third row, i'd like to buy a seat with SIP. what do you recommend? i really like the recaro young sport, it seems like it would be a good fit for us, plus kieran really likes it. i know it's FF only, but it would probobly only be used ocasionally, provided i can get 3 across for day to day driving.

thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

just bumping incase you didn't see this..
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 PM

I was on vacation, I'm glad you bumped it. I missed it yesterday when I was looking at posts.

The only 2 harnessed seats w/ good side impact protection are the Boulevard and the Recaro. Your ds is light enough I think the Recaro would be fine and it makes a nice booster as well. If you use the middle in the back though, the side curtain airbags won't be as important as if you use the sides. The Recaro is slightly more narrow than the Britax, but has slightly (not even an inch) lower straps. I would get a torso height before making a decision. Do you have lap belts only in the middle? I can get the Radian in fine w/ lap belts, no problem.

AJ likes to rf too, but he's just too big to do so. He's 35# and his torso is too long.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List