leg cramps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-01-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else been experiencing them? if I stretch at all (like when I am half asleep in the morning and point my toes to stretch) my whole leg seizes up and becomes rock-like and soooooo painful!!! suggestions anyone? It was sooo bad this morning that I sat bolt upright in bed and grabbed my leg and furiously massaged it to try to make it go away, which worked after awhile, but it is still really tight, nearly 12 hours later, and hurts.
#2 of 20 Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM

I find that if I stretch with with toes flexed 'up' towards my leg and not down, that I don't get 'spasms', like I do from a 'normal' toe pointed down stretch....I forget sometimes as I'm still half asleep and WOW, that hurts. But if I flex the other way quickly, they usually stop or go away.

They are very 'normal' for this stage of pregnancy. Some say calcium/magnesium helps, but really, having the baby helps the most!

Your body is swollen with lots of blood and it's hard to pump it all to all the places it needs to go, so you get 'muscle' spasms when they suddenly contract from a stretch. Getting a full body massage helps distribute the blood and prevent them, so does yoga type stretches, if done gently and gradually. Basically it's a circulation issue from pregnancy.

/sympathy and hugs!
#3 of 20 Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
They are very 'normal' for this stage of pregnancy. Some say calcium/magnesium helps, but really, having the baby helps the most!

:
#4 of 20 Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM

I was getting these a lot about a month ago and my leg would stay sore for the whole day. My midwife suggested drinking more water, flexing toes up rather than down, stretching and walking. So far the leg cramps seemed to have easeed up a bit and when I do get them they don't last as long.
#5 of 20 Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 AM

Try drinking a lot of nettles (in tea). I drink about 4 cups a day and I haven't had any serious leg cramps since. Nettles have several nutrients that are associated with leg cramps (if you are missing them).

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#6 of 20 Old 09-02-2006, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also had crazy leg cramps for a few nights in a row- we're talking waking up at least four times a night and sleeping restlessly in the morning. I upped my calcium intake (like drinking nettle tea) and they have subsided. Also do make sure to stretch- not pointing toes!- at night before bed. And I try to elevate my feet when sleeping, which helps. That said, my legs are still sore when I wake up in the morning, like I'm running marathons in my sleep.
This started the first few days of my 28th week- welcome to the 3rd trimester!
#7 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I don't get enough exercise then I get horriable leg cramps. If I take at least one walk every single day then I don't get any leg cramps, miss a couple days and I get them again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I don't get enough exercise then I get awful leg cramps, the kind where I limp around for days because it hurts so bad. If I take at least one walk every single day then I don't get any leg cramps, miss a couple days and I get them again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM

Don't move your feet!!

I had horrible leg cramps with my last pregnancy.... I have them quite a bit this time, too. The only thing I'm doing this time differently is nothing. Last time I tried adjusting my diet, vitamins, stretching, etc. None of it really made a difference so this time I decided to do nothing. When I wake up and start to move my toes, I start to feel a twinge and so I stop. Yeah, good plan huh?!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#10 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

I started having a peanut butter and banana sammich on whole grain bread with a 16oz glass of milk really killed the cramp factor tis time
#11 of 20 Old 09-06-2006, 07:01 PM

I've got legs cramps AND restless leg. Talk about infuriating, LOL! My thighs will be twitching away with the restless leg, and my calf will be seizing with a leg cramp. Yeowch! I've found that gently stretching the legs by standing on the edge of a stair and letting my heels fall down below the step a bit has helped a lot with the calf cramps, and the restless leg, well, no help there yet.
#12 of 20 Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 PM

I have been having left leg cramps. And like a groin pain/discomfort especially when I bare weight on my leg. Its odd. Sometimes its worse than others. But I wonder if its like the baby pushing on a nerve or something. Anyone else have this??
#13 of 20 Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER1983
I have been having left leg cramps. And like a groin pain/discomfort especially when I bare weight on my leg. Its odd. Sometimes its worse than others. But I wonder if its like the baby pushing on a nerve or something. Anyone else have this??
yep, I've had that with each pregnancy, and it gets worse closer to the end. It's not a nerve or anything, it's just the increased leves of relaxin working on the joints and ligaments. There's a ligament right along the groin going from just above the pubic line out to the hip called the round ligament, and ohh, when the relaxin starts to work on that one it gets downright painful to walk.
#14 of 20 Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 PM

I had horrible leg cramps with my last preg and started taking calcium supplements and they went away. I've taken calcium regularly this preg and have not had any problems at all. I will probably increase calcium to 2x a day during this last tri.
#15 of 20 Old 09-10-2006, 03:19 PM

I just got one this morning. I was able to flex it away after a few minutes, but what an awful way to wake up!!

I was running low on pre-natal’s and had only been taking them once a day instead of twice, I wonder if calcium is the issue. I hadn't had any before this. (well maybe once.)
#16 of 20 Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM

I consistantly eat icecream (helps my heartburn) with a banana before bed...every morning I eat peanut butter on whole wheat toasted...with a glass of milk...
Seems to be working...no cramps, no heartburn...unlike last pregnancy...
#17 of 20 Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the reply about the leg/hip pain.
Its nice to have an answer. Today I had another ultrasound and the babys head is near my left hip so I think that is half the reason for the pain too. Heh. I was just happy to see that its head down. i know that can change any time. But I hope it stays where it is. Hah.
#18 of 20 Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
yep, I've had that with each pregnancy, and it gets worse closer to the end. It's not a nerve or anything, it's just the increased leves of relaxin working on the joints and ligaments. There's a ligament right along the groin going from just above the pubic line out to the hip called the round ligament, and ohh, when the relaxin starts to work on that one it gets downright painful to walk.
DH wanted to go to an Organic Festival this past weekend. I told him I no longer go anywhere that requires me to walk. Going up and down the stairs all day is bad enough. I look like a flipping duck waddling back and forth and my hips/lower back/butt area KILLS me.
#19 of 20 Old 09-13-2006, 10:21 PM

magnesium can help with muscle cramps. there is a great product called Natural Calms which is a powdered magnesium to make as a warm drink...i have found it to be helpful! it is not only relaxing for muscles, but for the mind as well. here's a link to product info and you can find it at many natural food stores.

http://www.vites.com/catalog/index.p...index&cPath=68
#20 of 20 Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 AM

I had huge cramps with DS, esp. middle of the night and when waking up in the morning. This time I got only one leg cramp. I remembered how horrible it was last time and thought about why it was happening.

I realised something. In a non-pregnant state, you move around at night when you sleep. You roll over easily. You do it nearly subconsciousiously. So you don't really wake up, and you go back to deep sleep rather quickly.

Now, you are big, fat, uncomfortable (OK, at least I am!). At night, to roll over, you must lift your arms, pull your big belly, maybe even change the pillows from one side to the other, put them back between your knees... So, you wake up to do all this, and it takes a while to fall asleep again.

After a day or two your brain learns this. Even your sleeping brain. So what do you do? You stop moving. Your unconscious mind keeps you in the same position, and you end up stiff in bed. With leg cramps.

Choices: You could wake up more, move more often, and get less leg cramps. But end up more tired. Or you could stop moving so much, get stiff leg cramps, but get more sleep at night.

Well, I told my brain that this is what I was doing to myself. So now I wake up more, have to move the pillows... but I don't have leg cramps at all! Yes, I am more tired. But I quit work early (I have that luxury). Sometimes I give DS to DH when we get home, and take an extra nap to catch up on the sleep.

Who likes my theory?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page