Mothering Forum banner

question about gestation and birth

617 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Lousli 
#1 ·
I'm getting a little anxious. I am 31w1d. My son was born at 34w5d - he was perfectly healthy: 5lbs 7oz APGARS 9 and 10 - came right home, no NICU or O2 or anything, and I had no mitigating circumstances that made him early - no PROM, no Pre-E, nothing wrong with my placenta - he just decided he was done....but still, I don't want to have another early baby...we got lucky with ds and I am afraid this one might come early as well and we won't be as lucky. The thought of not being able to bring my baby right home makes me really sad.

So I was wondering, espcially for those moms who have had multiple births, espcially those who went early, were your babies all born around the same gestational time, or did it vary?

#2 ·
Baby #1 was born at 36 weeks... no reason other than he was ready... 7lbs7oz

Baby 2 was born at 35 weeks... no reason other than he wanted to meet us. 7 pounds

Baby 3 was born at 42 weeks... no reason... just wanted to bake more. 6 pounds 12 oz.

so the one that stayed in the longest was the smallest lol

#3 ·
You might also try asking some mamas on the NICU/preemie forum. I had my first due to PROM at 36 weeks and she was fine, came home right away. My second was also PROM at 33 weeks, but there were other complications prior to the PROM. From what I have read, your chance of having a second preemie is only slightly increased than a woman who has had a previous full term birth.

#4 ·
well, not sure how encouraging my stats will be for you, but wanted to post anyway just to say that no matter what happens, it WILL be okay

My guys each so far have gotten progressively 2 weeks earlier. #1 was born at 36 weeks, no warning, just started having contractions in the morning, he was born that night. He was just under 9 pounds, so definitely ready to come out, and had no problems what so ever. He was home the next day.

#2 was born at 34 weeks, just under 8 pounds, same deal as #1 - no problems, home next day.

#3 was born at 32 weeks, after 10 weeks of bedrest for continuous preterm issues. He was in NICu for 3 weeks, needed some help breathing. He was 5 pounds when he was born

Now, #4 I've hit 31 weeks today - put on bedrest last weekf or some cervical changes (thinning and a bit of funnelling) But I have a feeling that he'll break our trend and make his appearance around 34 weeks.

Generally, the best predictor of having preterm issues is having had prior preterm issues (so, like me, if you've had several preemies, you're got virtually no shot of going to term, LOL!) BUT (and this is a big "but") it doesn't sound lke you had "preterm issues" you just had a baby who was done baking. there's a big difference between a babe born with no warning at 34+ weeks than a babe that you've been having preterm issues with for a while and with the help of medication and bedrest you've managed to keep in that long. Is it possible that you were off with your dates with your first?

#5 ·
I think it is definitely still up in the air for you, since you don't know of any reason for your DS to come early except that he was "done". I had a 29 weeker due to PPROM, and my OB says I only have a 15-20% chance of it happening again (he really doesn't think it will). I'm 28w2d, and still keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm cautiously optimistic, since usually stuff like that would happen earlier the next time. Anyway, I think in your case, the chance of repeat or going earlier would be much lower than the 15-20% chance I've been given, since you didn't actually have any complications or anything.

Good luck! Hopefully we'll all make full term this time around!!! A take home baby would be *really* nice...

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
Is it possible that you were off with your dates with your first?
nope - he was a one shot deal - I wondered for a moment if my dates were wrong when he was born, but I realized that that would make him an immaculate conception....and though I do find him to be my own little miracle....

#9 ·
My step mom is an OBGYN and she said that there is some test where they swab the cervix and then it tells with about 98% accuracy if you're likely to deliver in the next two weeks. Anyone had this? I am wondering if it would be worth doing? Pros and cons maybe?
As I said, it's not the earliness that worries me, but only that I want baby's lungs to be ready to breathe so we don't have to stay in the hospital.

#10 ·
Yes, I've had it. The fetal fibronectin test. It is expensive, from what I understand, so they don't give it usually unless you are showing some signs of PTL. It is very accurate as a negative, meaning if it says no, you almost certainly will not go into labor in the next two weeks. So it can be reassuring and help decide how aggressively to treat symptoms like contractions, cramping, etc. Unfortunately, a positive is not as accurate, but would probably justify more agressive treatment, especially with a prior history of preterm birth.

It isn't accurate after about 34 weeks, and cannot predict rupture of membranes. When I had the test, it was a day or two before I had my daughter. The test was negative, and it helped keep me off magnesium sulfate. But then my water broke, and she came anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.