Placenta... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-05-2006, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd share a friend's story...

First, my friend just gave birth at home...everything went wonderfully! I'm so happy since I am basically mimicking her birth--same attendants, same birthing tub, hypnobirthing etc...

Her 1st 2 births resulted in hemmoraging--possibly due to the placenta being 'tugged' on by the Dr...she isnt' sure about ds 1, but IS sure about it being 'pulled' with ds 2...

Anyways--with this birth it took 1.5 hrs for the placenta to naturally release and be birthed. She nursed etc--the attendants did NOT do anything to 'pull' it out...they were just letting nature take it's course. When it did release, she had NO extra bleeding...no hemmoraging.

This tells me that 1. pulling is bad (I knew this) and 2. everyone's body is different and the 'norm' timetable for birthing placentas is variable...

Why am I telling you guys this? Because before this, I had NO IDEA it could take that long to birth the placenta. I read a birth story of a home birth that ended up at the hospital because the placenta wasnt' releasing--after under an hour! Then the hospital staff needed to do all KINDS of interventions! Big stressor for the mama! Anyways...for those of you having a home birth--or even a hospital birth--know/remember/understand that the placenta release may be different for everyone--so make sure your attendants are on the same page as you are if it isnt' releasing in a 'timely manner'...

Just wanted to share!

ps--if there is any reason to 'worry' that anyone knows of, or medical info on why keeping the placenta in there to 'release' on it's own (even if delayed) poses a problem, please pass the info on! Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 AM

This is so true, thanks for the reminder!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 5 Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, anytime placenta-wait-time is mentioned, I'm always reminded of the time I looked out my window to see a cow next door with something hanging out of her rear end. She'd birthed the day before (I had seen the calf), and it was a full day before her placenta came out. It was kind of far off, but it was obviously placenta hanging down. Then she ate it!

We raise goats, and when we had our first kidding season last January, some placentas came out right away, but a few waited several hours. It's normal for a goat placenta to come out within about an hour, but it *can* take much longer and still be fine. Oh, and they sometimes eat theirs too, but not all do. Maybe they just eat it if they think they need to? Hmmm...

Anyway, whenever I think about how long it might take for MY placenta to come out, I just remember that cow next door and the goats I've seen, and just try to remind myself that it will most likely come out when it's ready. My last one came out right away because the nurse gave me pit (and told me after she'd given it to me and the doctor gently tugged on the cord and it slipped right out. Thankfully, I didn't have excessive bleeding or anything, but yeah, I was annoyed at how they handled that.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 5 Old 09-05-2006, 06:36 PM

thanks for the information. i had excessive hemmoraging w/ dd and i wonder now if it's because they tried to get the placenta out too soon. i'm planning a homebirth this time.
btw, i know a woman (homebirth) who's placenta didn't release til the day following her birth. she said it was rather annoying to have this thing hanging out of her, but it didn't cause any problems.
#5 of 5 Old 09-06-2006, 04:47 PM

I'd just about rather have one of my grandfather's old farm hands assist me at birth than most of the obs in this country. At least they'd know not to mess with the placenta or the cord. Lord.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page