Will I really have to name this baby- BERNARD?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm more of a thread reader and responder versus a thread starter... but I'm starting to feel a little desperate here!

My dh likes two names for a boy- his own; Gregory or BERNARD! Where is he getting this?!!: Otherwise it's William, which is a perfectly lovely name and also explains why it's in the SSA top 10 for, like the last 100 years.

So I thought Gregory Reid and we'd call him Reid, but that was nixed. Not a saints name. Then I liked (no, loved) Dylan and that was nixed- too popular.

It took my parents 6 months to name my brother Fletcher Christian and honestly I am so tired of thinking of names I'm starting to wonder, can't we just name this baby Fletcher also?! Of course, the kids get my last name, so then there would be two Fletcher M's.

So please help me! I'm looking for male names, it pretty much has to be a saint name to get dh to go along with it, nothing Irish, we like traditional stuff but not Michael or Joseph- just not my style.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 PM

http://wordbytes.org/saints/saintsnames-boys.doc

Some of these are pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM

My sympathies- my husband wants to name our baby Bernardo. I really like Augustine. I would avoid Norbert, though, because of the popularity of HP books.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 PM

Ok, not in your DDC, but may I suggest...Julian? There are actually several saints by the this name.

Please note: I'm biased. This would have been my number one pick for a boy's name, and, in fact, my relatives all thought for sure my baby would be a boy, so they started to call me "Juliansmom." They still call me this, even though the u/s showed girl.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM

I have a friend due in Dec and she is seriously considering Bernard for a boy. Is this a trend? I can't imagine looking at a sweet baby boy and calling him Bernie.....no offense:
Old 09-07-2006, 03:06 PM

I like the name Bernard....

(runs and hides)

I really do!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 PM

i am at a total loss for boy names, and have been since i got pregnant the first time. we eventually settled on Kieran Joshua for my oldest, and i honestly considered naming my second son Joshua Kieran.

we did end up with another boy name (Caleb David) but i don't know what i will do if we get another boy.

my husband wants to name the baby mortimer if its a boy.

seriously.

mortimer.

or balsac.

better yet, mortimer balsac.

to make things worse, he's already calling the baby mortimer. and has my 3yo doing the same.

we have girl names that we both like. here's hoping for a girl, i guess.:
Old 09-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Bernard is a really cute name. I like it.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM

MORTIMER???

Oh no!

I'd suggest to the hospital staff that they do not let your dh anywhere near the paperwork for the baby.

The name is French, and it literally means "still (dead!) water". Tell your dh this and maybe he'll let go. Oh, and my apologies to those who like the name, as I do not mean to offend. I actually speak French, so maybe that's why I have an automatic aversion to the name.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 AM

2 names that i have liked but we have't used yet are Emmerick (i think it is w/ 2 m's but maybe just 1) and cyrus. Both saints names

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 AM

My son is Kristoffer, the American is Christopher. He is a saint.
A friend named her DS Indigo - like the color, which I thought was fabulous. However, she added Sky as a middle name, which I feel is complete overkill.
If I was having another DS, I would be tempted by Indigo, but that means his name would be Indigo Barry Rosenlund, which can be easily translated to "Blue-berry small forest rose." Nope, not going there.
My family wanted DS to be Lars, but that name is soooo overused here.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:52 AM

I love all the uncommon, old-fashioned, but not recently made up names! Mortimer, Bernard, those are awsome...They sound distinguished, mature, and unique.

I'm ready for my spanking now...

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, okay.... thanks for letting me know that Bernard isn't as out there as I thought. So what happens when everyone calls him 'Bernie'? Still distinguished and mature?!

Also, THANKS for the male saint names; they are great. I actually like Roman quite a bit.

Julian is a nice name... does it go okay next to Cecilia, his sister?

I love hearing everyone's name choices; they are really so special and sweet.

Meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM

Wait-- there was really a saint Bernard???

I did not know that....

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh, and DH really likes Bernadette for a girl!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM

I think Julian and Cecilia go really really well together....I also like Julian spelt in the French way, as Julien.

(please no, not Bernard - don't ask me why : )
Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
I think Julian and Cecilia go really really well together....I also like Julian spelt in the French way, as Julien.

(please no, not Bernard - don't ask me why : )
I agree completely! I like Julian and no, not Bernard, just because I couldn't do 'Bernie'.

But the good news is (and thanks again to midwifetx) we both really like Roman. Strong, not too long, sounds fine next to Cecilia. And Roman, in case you were wondering is the patron saint of drowning victims and the mentally ill. Hmmmm.....

I can relax now for the last trimester knowing that we have two names of each sex to pick from when the baby comes! When dd was born, I thought inspiration would strike me once I saw her, but it didn't and I was so happy to have a name ready (we only had one girls name, no boys, yikes).... so this time I want to give birth, settle in with my new one and name him/her!

User Tag List