Dear every freaking store that sells baby clothes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To whom it may concern:

Yes, just about 99% of moms-to-be (it seems) find out the gender of their unborn child before birth. I realize the 1% of us who don't aren't really the big concern for you.

But here's the thing. Those of us who choose to wait until birth for the surprise factor STILL NEED TO DRESS OUR NEWBORNS!!!! Your 900 pink, 900 blue, and one CRAPPY yellow outfit selection really needs to change.

Sincerely,
Mother of a future nudist
#2 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 AM

Now that is hilarious. I know it is coming from a place of frustration, but I found it challenging to find something to give some friends of ours who also decided to wait to find out the gender at birth. There are a lot of neutral colors, certainly they could create just as cute neutral outfits... hmmm... at any rate, sorry... and good luck!
#3 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

So, um, yeah... we've been trying to find a coming home outfit for Zy. We live out in the country, and the city where all the stores are is pretty mainstream - at least as far as store choices go.

We checked Wal-Mart, Sears, Gap, Old Navy, Children's Place, Gymboree, Kohls... I'm not kidding - each store had one *maybe* 2 gender-neutral outfits. Everything else was pink with lace, pink with "princess" written across the chest or butt, blue with trucks or blue with "stud muffin" or the like written across the chest. The one yellow outfit at each had a hideous squirrl or owl on it because it's fall.

Or I could have gone with the "baby's first Halloween" outfits. Nevermind that this child won't be born until after Halloween.

I finally found an off-white, autumn-y, outfit at Target tonight. Seriously, it was the only non-pink/blue outfit there in 3-6 month size. I happen to like Winnie the Pooh, but I know that a lot of people aren't that thrilled with character stuff on their kids clothes. If I was one of those people, I'd still be out an outfit for the kid. What is up with the lack of plain clothes for babies and little kids?????
#4 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 AM
rad

I know what you mean. This is the first baby we have found out the gender for. But for the last 3, it's been a battle to find cute GN clothes. It's nearly impossible. Glad you found something though.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#5 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 AM

I hear you! I have found quite a few things online though. It's mostly organic stuff-not sure if you are into that. Here are some sites where I found a few things I liked.
www.Kee-Ka.com --fun
www.organic-gift-shop.com
www.haenow.com -- one type of onesie but nice colors
www.progressivekid.com
www.shop.earthorganicbabybasics.com --pricey, but so damn cute.
www.theretrobaby.com --very fun

Hope this helps. I have a million more but only so much room here haha

Good luck!
#6 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
To whom it may concern:

Yes, just about 99% of moms-to-be (it seems) find out the gender of their unborn child before birth. I realize the 1% of us who don't aren't really the big concern for you.

But here's the thing. Those of us who choose to wait until birth for the surprise factor STILL NEED TO DRESS OUR NEWBORNS!!!! Your 900 pink, 900 blue, and one CRAPPY yellow outfit selection really needs to change.

Sincerely,
Mother of a future nudist
PS: Even those of us who did find out the gender may not want to beat gender identity into their heads at birth. Are retailers afraid of spontaneous sex changes if anything other than blue sports-themed clothing touches my son's body?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#7 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 AM

Yes, I hate this.

We got a LOT of pink clothes at the baby shower, and I was tempted to take some of them back to Target and Wal-Mart to exchange them, but when I started looking around, I realized that I didn't really have many other options. I may pick up some of the blue stuff just to be contrary.

I bought my diapers (FBs) completely without regard for color before I knew if she was a boy or a girl.
#8 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM

Interesting...my son was born only 3 years ago but I didn't seem to have trouble finding gender-neutral clothing. We actually did know the gender, but wanted to only purchase clothing we could re-use with future babies, since they wear each size only so briefly.

We actually had a LOT of clothing in white, yellow, light green, orange, etc. that I felt was all gender-neutral. We had a number of outfits from the Eric Carle "Very Hungry Caterpillar" line under the Carter's label, sold pretty much everywhere, as well as the John Lennon Imagine line (also Carter's) that were all gender-neutral IMO. And we got a lot of yellow or white outfits at Target.

Maybe try resale shops instead of new?

Good luck!
#9 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM

not in your ddc but i just found this too funny not to reply. i had the same problem buying clothes for my most recent baby... ooooh its maddening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Are retailers afraid of spontaneous sex changes if anything other than blue sports-themed clothing touches my son's body?
my dd has been wearing 'boy clothes' since birth, she has yet to sprout a penis
same for her older sister...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#10 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM

I have been frustrated with the same issue lately. I am just now starting to look for some new clothes for this baby and I am only finding pink and blue outfits. Even the yellow outfits seem to be geared more towards one gender or the other and not truly 'neutral'. So many of the clothes from my first baby can't be used for this one as she was born in July and those clothes are probably not appropriate for a Nov baby.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#11 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 AM

There are OTHER adorable colors that babies can wear. Purple, Red, Green, Orange....

Orthodox Mama
#12 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM

sorry, but this just cracked me up big time; you're so right.

And here's the thing: even those of us who think we know the gender don't necessarily want *only* blue or pink clothes - where are all of the lovely greens, purples, reds etc?????

And what's with asking me what the name's going to be??? I've never seen you before and I probably won't again, so why do you care????? Ah well....
#13 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I was pg with DS, I bought some clothes in pink and some in blue, and I figured I'd return whichever ones I didn't need after the birth.

Then I went to a garage sale and got an entire "gender neutral" infant wardrobe and returned all the new stuff I'd bought before giving birth.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Replying to a bunch at once (sorry no quotes)...

First, though, thankfully we do have a bunch of gender neutral clothes from my son's early life (we didn't know with him, either). I was just looking for ONE outfit for coming home, because I really believe that each child should have one new thing that is just theirs - and then goes in their keepsake box when they outgrow it. That's what I was looking for. I couldn't even imagine having to totally clothe a baby with the selection I've seen in stores.

I LOVE the organic baby clothes - but I've bought so much stuff online (because of living in the boonies) that I just wanted to actually see, feel, cuddle, etc. the outfit in person first. But I'm *so* bookmarking those links... thank you!

I have been shopping once upon a child and found a couple cute things - but even our ouac seems to be totally gender-divided. And I hate shopping there for my son... because it's all sports and dinosaurs. I found a couple things that were just striped the other day and snatched them pronto!

And those of you who said that you don't want to put your newborns that you *do* know the sex of in all pink or all blue - I can totally see that, too. I'm a pastel lover, but I know there are a lot of moms who DON'T like pastels - and there is NOTHING in stores for them at all. It's like the manufacturers are afraid babies will die if a bold color touches their bodies!
#15 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
I was just looking for ONE outfit for coming home, because I really believe that each child should have one new thing that is just theirs - and then goes in their keepsake box when they outgrow it. That's what I was looking for.
Oh, I can understand that...I lucked out, my son was due in October and around April-ish I found an adorable all-white outfit at Baby Gap on super major clearance. It was like $45 marked down to $7. I bought it in both their under-7 lbs size as well as their "newborn" size just in case. My son did turn out to be 3 weeks early and he wore the smaller size home from the birth center. We were too braindead to take many pictures but we did get this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ers/shazam.jpg

It was very soft, almost linen-like quilted cotton...oh my gosh, I can't believe he was ever so tiny...

Good luck finding your baby's special outfit!
#16 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM

I agree, it is so frustrating. I think I have some gender neutral stuff around the house. Not sure?
My dh has severe arthritis and can't use snaps. Try finding jender baby neutral clothes w/ out snaps. Next to impossible!!! If anyone has ideas let me know.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#17 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Argh, that sounds frustrating! I've noticed, too, how difficult it is to find many (if ANY) clothes in neutral clothes. We knew the sex for both boys, but I definitely DON'T need to shove little trucks/puppies/balls in my kids' faces as newborns...why all the baby blue with nothing but those things on them? It seems that the only GN clothing I could find was, as someone else said, the classic pooh clothing in ivories and sage. I love that, but I get all pooh-ed out after a couple of outfits. Grrrrrrr.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#18 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 06:36 PM

yeah, stores can be a PITA like that. I'm thinking had I chosen not to find out I would just get a lot of plain white stuff. I don't even really like most fancy baby clothes-- babies are adorable no matter what they wear!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#19 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 PM

I always buy a piece or two from the Gap layette that is white and precious.
#20 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 07:01 PM

Okay, i feel so cheap. Everyone seems to buy baby clothes from the gap. I buy them at the PX (military version of Wal-Mart, basically).

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#21 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 PM

basicbrilliance.com and others. Just say no to factory same-old same-old shopping. I don't work for them, but I love their colors and basic, roomy, adorable clothing. If it's wrong to mention them, delete away.
#22 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych
Okay, i feel so cheap. Everyone seems to buy baby clothes from the gap.
Only when they are marked way way down to a reasonable price ;-) which actually the newborn sizes often are.
#23 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 PM

I'm totally with you all on this one... The only clothes I actually bought for the baby are a bright lime green striped outfit and one layette which is sage/ivory. I love the color sage but it's gonna get reeeeeal old after a while. And my mom just sent me all this typical baby blue stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a sewing machine (err, actually asking mom to get me one ) so I can take some of my old shirts and stuff and sew some bright baby stuff. (I have an orange tyedye shirt I can't wait to transform).

(and on a related note, WTH is up with all those onesies? I'm imagining that cloth diapering a babe with a huge fluffy butt is NOT gonna be easy with those. and plus I've got wool soakers/longies...but no t-shirts. I'm gonna have to whip out the scissors...)
#24 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 PM

Those first two layette pieces are all I ever got at Baby gap, the rest of the time it was ebay and resale shops all the way.
#25 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 10:28 PM

I ran into this problem this week when I went shopping. I haven't really gone baby clothes shopping yet. I was so disgusted that I could not find ONE gender neutral outfit. Even I do have a girl I don't particularly like PINK, greens and reds and yellows are nice colors. If I have a boy I don't think I want to see him in BLUE absolutely everyday.
#26 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM

not on the ddc but the title was funny

kidsurplus.com is a great website and I think they have zutano, which has lots of GN bold colors.
#27 of 31 Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM

apart from onesies, I've bought everything either at the consignment store, Ebay, or on the TP here - so even though I've gotten some adorable things (Gap, Gymboree etc) I haven't paid much for them; there just doesn't seem much point when they'll grow out of them so fast, plus when they've been worn/washed they are so much softer.....
#28 of 31 Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 AM

butting in from march ddc..

there is an adorable line called Mon Reve at www.trendychic.com
It is just plain cotton, although they do have pink/blue they also have the plain all white which I love. I think babies look most precious in simple white cotton.
Anyway just go to the site and click on baby and then on shop by brand at the bottom left and choose Mon Reve.
I got a few pieces and they are wonderfully soft and well made. I got the kimono shirt+baby boxers in white-precious.
There is a sale on it though and I think a lot of it is already sold out.

http://www.trendychic.com/product.as...451&CtgID=1086

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#29 of 31 Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
PS: Even those of us who did find out the gender may not want to beat gender identity into their heads at birth. Are retailers afraid of spontaneous sex changes if anything other than blue sports-themed clothing touches my son's body?
OMG...I can so relate!!! I refused to put pink on my DD. I also refused to put her in frilly (or any) dresses. Poor thing had to walk around in blue clothes or the one tie dyed onsie I found for her for almost a year. oh, I did find a few black onsies from a punk/metal store so she also advertised for a few bands that year

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#30 of 31 Old 09-10-2006, 11:46 PM

I'm having a girl and just so sick of all the pink already:

Where are the baby clothes in primary colors?? I would just love to have anything in some non- pastel greens, blues, reds, purples, browns!

The only thing I have purchased clothes wise- white onesies...
People are just trying to be sweet and supportive, and I so appreciate all the gifts, but PLEASE MAKE THE PINK STOP!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page