PTL scare! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-08-2006, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<br>Ah, the excitement of pregnancy hasn't eluded me.
I spent last evening in the hospital. fun.

I started feeling weird at the end of the day at work. I walked the kids to computers and then I HAD to go to the bathroom, like butt-clenching running (TMI, sorry). That wasn't so wierd, but after, I had so much pressure in my cervix, it really felt like the baby was going to pop through and I could hardly walk. After work we had a staff meeting and I was exhausted and really really uncomfortable. As I was driving home, dreaming of the nap I was going to take, I started to have contractions. they didn't hurt, so I chalked them up to braxton hicks. Interestingly though, I decided to watch the clock and the contractions were coming every three minutes.

When I got home I sat down and really did not feel right. I told my husband I wondered if I should call the doc, but he said he didn't think so, I was probably exhausted and should lay down. I agreed, so I packed my son's lunch and clothes, as he spends Thrusday nights with my mom, and left the two of them to do homework while I laid down. The contractions kept coming and started to hurt like period cramps - exactly as I remembered with my son. I kept talking myself out of them though - they were just gas pains, round ligament pain, etc. Finally, I decided to call the OB. I assumed they would tell me to drink some water and lay on my left side. No, they told me to go into labor and delivery. ack! I am not a good patient and I hate hospitals, so I really didn't want to go, but i did.

I left husband and son and went alone, promising my husband I was NOT having the baby today.

I got in and hooked up to the monitor right away and indeed I was contracting every three minutes or so. There was a resident on duty (have I mentioned I hate hospitals and I am not a good patient and that I don't like residents - I know, they need to learn, just not on me). Residents should not be allowed to do vaginal exams - sorry, but no. Anyway, after a horrific internal which revealed a closed cervix and a swipe for the fetal fibronectin test, I just laid around watching the contractions and baby's hb on the screen. They came back with a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions and I figured I would be out of there.

but no, after an hour I started contracting again. Finally my OB came in (My OBs are all in practice with my step mom, and a few of them I have known for years, some even came to my wedding, so it was nice to see a familiar face), and he said if the next shot of terb didn't work, I would be admitted, put on magnesuim sulfate, and given steroids for baby's lungs. ack again.

wait wait wait wait, as it goes in the hospital.

The second shot of terb was working, and after an hour they came back and said the fetal fibronectin was negative (meaning, I am not likely to deliever in the next 2 weeks) and that if I responded for another hour to an oral does of the terb, I would go home. I did and I am home now with an rx for terbutaline every 4-6 hours. It is making the baby go nuts, but (s)he's still inside, nice and safe and healthy and I have no intention of having to go back to the hospital before birth - no way...bu-ut, I am now just praying for every minute of the next 2 weeks. With my son coming at 35 weeks it is seeming much more real now that this baby might actually make an appearance soon - like in September! (come on October!!)

And, I am not supposed to go back to work. This sounded great when I was working, but now I feel sort like - what am I going to do? we need money and insurance and what will i do all day long (nothing! hooray!)? Anyway, I have a regular OB appointment today that they told me to keep, so I will see what they say about all that as well...I can't help but think that as run down as I feel every day after wort, that staying home is the best thing. I am not ready for this baby to come just yet.

I have one question, if the fetal fibronectin test was negative (and I think negative are supposed to be like 98% accurate), then why was I contracting? and if I contract again in the next two weeks, do I need to go running back to the hospital? I surely don't want an early baby if I can help it, but I also really do not like to be in the hospital!!
#2 of 2 Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shannon

That's not the best way to spend an evening, huh? I'm glad that your uterus has calmed down now - and please heed the dr's advice to take it easy.

I don't know the answers to your other questions, sadly...but I'm sure that one of the amazing mamas here will.

~*~*~*stay in baby vibes*~*~*~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page