What is "natural" anymore? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I am a pregnant grad student in anthropology. I have been doing my thesis research on birth (perfect timing, lucky me). I was wondering what ya'lls definition of "natural bith" is? I have heard a lot of different combinations. Does it include epidural, episiotomy, suction? What if someone has to reach up to dislodge a shoulder, turn a baby? I am interested in hearing what it might include versus what it doesn't.

(I would like to use any answers in my research as well, but names and identifing information will be changed for confidentiality.)
#2 of 6 Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM

There is a difference between vaginal and natural. You might get more responses if you post this directly under I'm Pregnant.

IMO, Natural means no meds (pain relief or augmentation of labor) or any unecessary intervention. I wouldn't call a little help turning a baby as not natural.
#3 of 6 Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnantresearcher
Hi. I am a pregnant grad student in anthropology. I have been doing my thesis research on birth (perfect timing, lucky me). I was wondering what ya'lls definition of "natural bith" is? I have heard a lot of different combinations. Does it include epidural, episiotomy, suction? What if someone has to reach up to dislodge a shoulder, turn a baby? I am interested in hearing what it might include versus what it doesn't.

(I would like to use any answers in my research as well, but names and identifing information will be changed for confidentiality.)
IMO... Most of Vaginal births are often not Natural births...

Epidural or any other drug, pitocin etc, artificially breaking the water, not being allowed to eat or drink, confinment to a bed or limited movement, having to birth in a position that goes against gravity, episiotimy, any kind of suction or forceps etc... all take away the natural part of a vaginal birth... It think that SD can be more natually dealt with with position changes etc then with someone "reaching up there"..

Natural to me... little or no fetal monitoring or cervical checks, free movement, free to eat and drink and do what ever the mom wants, able to labour and birth in the position the mom chooses, no drugs etc...

I think that it is very hard and almost impossible to have a Natural birth in a hopsital (though I know that some hospital must be better than others)... and I think that it is getting harder to have a natural birth with many midwives...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#4 of 6 Old 09-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye
Natural to me... little or no fetal monitoring or cervical checks, free movement, free to eat and drink and do what ever the mom wants, able to labour and birth in the position the mom chooses, no drugs etc...
:

No drugs or artifical changes to labor (induction, stripping membranes, breaking water, etc). Certainly some interventions are less invasive, but many hospital births typically involve at least one type of intervention, which can quickly lead to more.

My doula just took the local hospital childbirth class, which involved a full lecture about 'what to expect with foreceps'. Now, (to me!) there is just no reason moms should need to expect their baby to be pulled from them! That, to me, is just unnatural.

I guess epidural or 'labor drugs' would be what I considered most 'unnatural', IMO.

Meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 AM

I'm very lucky to have birth attendants who believe as I do about natural birth...they will probably leave me alone unless I ask for something--the only exceptions being light touch massage, and perineum support/massage. No vaginal checks (unless I request it...probably won't tho), no stripping membranes, no telling me to push, no meds of any kind, etc...
I'm super excited!
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2006, 04:21 AM

i consider it anything with no pain relief. My mom was induced with me and also had an episiotomy, but no pain relief, and i still refer to it as natural birth.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page