Strep B test.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-12-2006, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...remind me again about this. I know Strep B can be a bad thing...I'm planning a homebirth and I am not planning any vaginal exams, but I know they will want to do this test...
The stats I heard was that if mom tests + for strep b, then baby has a 1/100 chance of being infected during birth, so they put you on antibiotics during labor. Not sure if my m/w would have these antibiotics and not sure how it would affect my homebirth.
Any info?
#2 of 11 Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 AM

My midwife told me that if I test + that I would have to go to my family doctor to get a prescription and they would give it to me during active labour... it wouldn't change my chances of having a home birth.
#3 of 11 Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not testing, my MW really isn't interested in knowing either. I've been eating gallons and gallons of good yogurt this pg and I just started a round of probiotics. That's about all I'm doing.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 11 Old 09-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My midwife doesn't do the antibiotics herself. In her practice, if you test + and you choose to do IV abx (she doesn't require it, nor does she require the test), you have to hire someone to administer the IV abx (and get the rx from a doctor). My midwife is a CPM, btw.

I'm still debating whether to test or not, but I'm leaning towards not testing. If I did test +, I wouldn't do the IV abx, as I have fast labors (less than 4 hours), and I have concerns about contributing to abx-resistent GBS *and* e-coli (which is even worse). So I'd only do IV abx if I had extra risk factors (they're easy to find around here in the recent GBS threads).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 11 Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 PM

There is a thread about this on the main pregnancy board with lots of great info and links!!

That said, I have never been tested for this in any pregnancy, and so far it has not been brought up by my midwives. But they will be here Thurs so we will see if they bring it up this time.
#6 of 11 Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM

They didn't test back when my first baby was born 12 years ago and he was one of those 1/100 babies that ended up REALLY sick and in the hospital life and death for 9 days until thye figured out what he had. For the rest of my kiddos I've had a round of penicillin, administered by IV, when I went into labor each time. I'm not saying this to alarm you, but I wouldn't want anyone to go through what our family did when penicillin can solve such a terrible thing - get tested and then decide what to do is my suggestion. Perhaps there is something else you can get other than penicillin once labor starts if you have strep B.
#7 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 AM

I was + for strep B but by the time I was in the hospital I was at a 7 and had only 2-3 hrs of the penicillin drip and they like it their longer so it didn't seem to matter for my situation. Good luck!
#8 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 03:37 PM

I'm using an MD (family practitioner) and having a hospital birth. My doctor has no problem with me waiving the test - I did it last time, too. And the hospital didn't force routine abx or anything because I refused the test - doc just sent orders saying no.

I'm pretty sure the risk is much lower than 1/100 - and if you're having a homebirth, the risk of picking up other bacterial infections at home is VERY slim. Talk to your midwife about whether or not she would require the test, what your options are if you test positive, etc. She may not even routinely do the test.
#9 of 11 Old 09-16-2006, 02:31 PM

I have researched this topic quite a bit. I am normally anti-intervention but as a previous poster said, GBS can be deadly for a new baby. I am having the test. I don't want to be hooked up to an IV during labor but my doctor said if I test positive they can administer the antibiotics within ten minutes. Yes, overusing antibiotics is a problem but in this case I can't think of a better reason to use them then to possibly save my child's life.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#10 of 11 Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 PM

I am still torn on wether or not to ask to be tested. If I was positive I wouldn't go the abx route though but if I had prolonged ROM or got a fever during labor I would probably take abx if I was GBS positive. I would also want my baby tested after birth for infection. As far as I've read they don't even know if abx during labor change the outcome for baby(or in enough cases to make the risks worth it) and it does increase the risk of abx resistant GBS and e coli infections in newborns. If I felt abx during labor would actually save babies I would be all for them, I'm just not sure that is really the case.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/Midwife/gbs.html this has a lot of info on GBS.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#11 of 11 Old 09-17-2006, 12:01 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was never tested with my first DS. Honestly, I didn't even know anything about it. I had no antibiotics during his labor and he was born prefectly healthy. I've heard it's really only a problem if you spike a temperature during labor, then it should be treated aggressively with anitbiotics.

With my last 2 procedures were changed and I was tested. With my DD, I was positive. Theygave me oral antibiotics. 2 pills were taken at beginning of labor, then 2 would follow every 4 hours and one last dose at the end. My labor only lasted 3.5 hours, so I took a total of 4. No problems. My 3rd baby, I tested negative. So nothing was done. I'm sure I'll be tested around 35-36 weeks this time. Whateverthe outcome, it's no big deal. My homebirths were all similar with the exception of those 4 pills.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page