We're getting closer.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be nice to share how we feel as we go into the last stretch... Most of us here should be at near or past the 30 week mark so we are starting to close in on November...
How are you feeling? What do you have to do before the new babe comes? Are you worried about anything? Excited? Ready?

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'll go first

Every few days I have to check and see about how many weeks I am... In having a UP I seem to be really in touch with myself and how I feel etc... but the technical stuff seems to evade me... I don't really have a due date, I could figure it out but I don't want to... I just tell everyone that the baby will be here between mid November and the beginning of December... However, knowing how many weeks I am gives me an idea of how many weeks I have left to get things done...
I still have tons to do... though I keep thinking that I have more time and keep on procrastinating what I have to get done and then when I check again to see how many weeks I am at then my mind starts racing again...

- I have to find two bureaus for the boys clothes (or one big one)... the dresser that ds#1 is using is broken and doesn't have enough space so I can't even pass it on to ds#2... and the one that ds#2 is using is for the new babe (it has passed down and used for every baby for 3 generations)

- I also have to rearrange their room so that it all fits since the babe will be sharing a room with his/her big brothers. (Well technically the babe will be in our room)

- I have to make ds's Halloween costume,

- get the babies clothes out and pick out the warmer clothes,

- get clothes out for ds#2 from ds#1's old clothes.

- Wash the new babe’s diapers and find the covers that are somewhere in the house on various cabbage patches and other dolls...

- Prepare and Freeze more food so that I will be able to have somewhat of a babymoon without starving or just eating burnt toast, frozen pizza and KD (the extent of my DH's cooking)

- Finish buying birthing supplies and figure out if I want to buy a water birth pool.

There must be other things that I have to get done too…

Anyways… I am getting more and more excited about the birth. Even though I have had rough and long labors, I LOVE giving birth! I am looking forward to labouring in my own home, not having anyone there but DH and the kids. I feel ready to have my UC and I feel confidant that it will happen.

I am also looking forward to having a babymoon after the baby is born. Staying in bed and getting to know the new babe. DH will be on Parental leave starting when the new babe comes and will be home for 7 months SO I really feel like I will have the time to get to know the new life that will come into our home but that the boys will also be taken care of. And then later on I will be able to give attention to the boys while DH keeps an eye on the babe…
I could go on and on… but I have already written too much LOL

~paxye~
Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Feeling good...I'm around 33 weeks so feeling big. Beside hurting myself this weekend, I feel great but I am hurting way less the last two days. I don't have a whole lot left to do befreo the new babe arrives so that feels GREAT! I do have to figure out what my ds i going to be for halloween (my dd is still working on what she is going to be) and make his costume. At least that's fun! I am having a blessingway in about a month and my birthday is a month away too so thats all fun stuff. I'm feeling ready for the birth, too. That is a big deal so I'm glad I feel ready!
My anxiety over having a toddler and a newborn is growing. When ds was born my dd was 9, in school everyday and I was one on one with him right from the start. Well, that isn't going to happen with this babe and I'm mourning the fact that my ds has no idea his life is really about to change! For the better but still...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM

I'm 33 weeks. I have had my other two early so I am seriously getting close!! I am getting very excited and also feeling like I have so much to do before the baby comes. Halloween costumes also need to be done here (I'm getting one for the baby too because I have a feeling she/he will be here before Halloween). I need to clean my floors really good, Finally get all the laundry done (yeah right ), organize the hall closest, freeze some meals, wash all the baby clothes and diapers and get my birth supplies together. I also love giving birth, if it wasn't for the pregnancy part I'd have many more babies. I can't wait to breastfeed again and smell that divine newborn smell again! And have a little one curled up on me again, awwwwww I can't wait!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM

I'm getting pretty excited at 31+ weeks. I am actually still trying to hold myself back from too much excitement since I have a feeling that these last couple of months will not fly by the same way that the rest of the pregnancy has.

I have already gotten all the baby clothes I need, and they are in the baby's dresser, but not washed yet. I still need to get some more diapers, and finish knitting a couple pairs of longies that are almost done. I really don't want to have "everything ready" until 38 weeks because I know it will be fun to have some more stuff to prepare closer to the end. I am expecting to go to 42 weeks, though, so that won't really be cutting it close.

Yesterday we hired a doula for the birth, and I am really excited about her. We had interviewed several different doulas since we decided not to have a homebirth afterall, and none of them felt right. The doula we hired is actually a midwife, so she will help us labor at home as long as possible and make sure we don't go to the birthing center too early.

We also just started taking a "self-hypnosis for childbirth" class that is great, and I have been practicing getting myself into a state of deep relaxation. I am beginning to fantasize about what my ideal birth would be. For some reason I haven't been able to do this before now, I think in part because I was worried about the homebirth aspect. But now that I feel truly safe with our plan, I can imagine how I want things to go.

At my 30-week prenatal, my fundus was measuring 35 cm! The baby is not that big (he's a little big), but my uterus is so stretchy from the twins that his position can drastically change the size of it. No wonder everyone gives me incredulous looks when I tell them I'm not due until November! Despite being pretty huge, I actually don't feel that huge at all. I still feel like I have a cute little belly, and the only things I can't do very easily are pick things up off the floor and put my shoes on. Also, I only have one pair of maternity pants that fit well and are comfy, so I've been wearing them pretty much everyday. Oh well!

I am LOVING the third trimester!!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Am I the only one not feeling huge? I even sometimes forget I'm pregnant. Last pregnancy I got really big really fast, not so this time. Every so often I look down and just think I gained more weight. Bizarre.

Right now I'm worried about gaining more weight. When I got pregnant my midwife advised me to gain 6-8 kilos. I'm now at 8kg and hoping I can keep it below 10kg. I went through a few weeks of eating like a complete and utter sweet freak.

I've also been feeling like this baby might come early. Earlier in the pregnancy I was convinced I would go over but now I've changed. And it isn't wishful thinking either-I'm not at the "get this baby out!" stage yet.

We have to find a place to give birth now since the hospital we were planning on going to denied having my midwife deliver my baby due to my "past history". : Thank you. It was a massive surprise to everyone. Now if I want her to deliver my baby I need to have a homebirth and nobody, not even my crunchy friends, thinks a homebirth is a good idea this time. Now I'm pissed and not even considering delivering at that hospital now.

Dh and I have been making a list of what we need to get at IKEA and planning a trip there. I love IKEA! But without fail dh and I have at least one argument while there. I get a serious case of the "wants" and he has no problem saying NO! over and over to me. Meanie.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Well according to my due date I have about 9 weeks left!! I am super excited to be almost done although I think these last two months are going to drag on forever!!

I think I have most of everything done! This is my first time cloth diapering so I am sure I have enough for now but may have to buy more when the baby comes.

I have froze some meals but not too many, I have washed all the babies clothes but still need to buy a dresser! I have packed my hospital bag but am still waiting on diaper covers that should be in the mail for sure sometime this week! I just realized that i didn't pack anything for me!! lol...the car seat is already in the van...i made DP put it in last time he was home!

I think the only thing I have left to do is my birth plan. I will be birthing in a hospital so I want my birth plan to be VERY clear and printed out in big bold letters so everyone knows what I want or should I say what I DON"T want!

We just bought a king size bed which we have been needing or wanting since our first dc but didn't have the money for!! The bed should arrive sometime around the 20th!! Now I just need to buy some bedding that will fit!

I am feeling tired, excited, happy, worried, sad, sore, and great all at the same time!! But we are basically ready to meet our little Jaxon Lee!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm at a little over 29 weeks and I'm ... well ... I guess I'm going through a period of mild depression right now. I feel very alone in my pregnancy, DH and I have been arguing nonstop, and I don't actually feel like he's helping at all right now. I get that he's freaking out in his own way, and that's actually totally ok with me, as long as he somehow manages to also figure out a way to be present and available for me and the baby. Right now that's not working so well. My emotional state has been leading me to be super introverted and lazy as well, and that in turn isn't helping my emotional state. I'm caught in a catch-22 of : . Ugh.

I feel like I still have so much left to do before the baby arrives! This being my first, I'm not really sure what I have left to do, but I know there's a whole lot of it!

- Finish settling into new apartment, including finding places for all of baby's stuff.

- Cook and freeze meals (I'm planning on doing soups and breads mostly).

- Launder all of baby's clothes.

- Have a baby shower (which I think is tentatively planned for October 21st right now). That'll be super helpful in helping me get all the rest of the stuff that I need.

- Find some time to go out to eat/see a movie/spend time with friends/connect with DH.

- Take a birthing class.

Etc, etc, etc. I feel like the list could simply go on forever.

I'm excited and terrified and nervous and happy and sad and feel like I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat for the floor to drop out and my entire life to change. I go through these moments of feeling like it was a huge mistake for me to get pregnant, until I remember how amazing it's going to be to get to know this HUMAN BEING who's growing inside of me. Whew, that's huge.

It's all pretty overwhelming right now. :

unbelievably proud mother to Darwin 11-22-2006
Old 09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have about 8 weeks left till my EDD. I'm sure this little guy will come sooner. I feel good though. I'm geting over a cold and that's been draining. But I don't have too many aches and pains to complain about. I have SO much left to do though.
~I really wanted to get our kitchen painted, along with the bathroom downstairs.
~I also wanted to get the nursery painted even though I doubt we'll spend much time in there at first.
~I still have a few more longies I wanted to knit up.
~I was going to sew some wool pants up.
~I need to buy some frozen meals or make some.
~Order/gather my birthing supplies.
~find box of baby clothes and wash them.
~Pull out infant carseat and install
~Find all our other baby equipment int he basement. May not use it but atleast I'll know where it is is I need it.
~Order some nursing bras
I'm sure the list goes on. But I'm really excited to meet this little guy.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 09-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow. I'm so excited to be so close to the 30s!!!! Last time I just barely missed it. So now while this is my 2nd baby, it's my first time to really experience the 3rd trimester, so it's just all new territory for me!

Baby's gotten alot more active, and I *feel* bigger, although when I look down, my belly doesn't go much past my boobs... probably because they've gotten huge this pregnancy too. Long ago, I was a C cup. After settling into nursing DS, I was a DD. By the 2nd trimester of this pregnancy, I was an F. I got some Yes! bras in size 4++, which is the same as a Bravado XL++, and the cup size on those is up to H. Well, they're a bit on the snug side! I need to go get measured at the maternity shop again (they're the ones that found I was an F cup earlier in pregnancy). I seem to just grow and grow and grow and never shrink, so I'm afraid I'll be a Z cup by time I have my 3rd kid.

Overall, I feel pretty good, although the last week or so, I've been queasy and nothing has sounded good. I think it's due to my sinuses. They're acting up again. And it rained this week, so the weather may have something to do with it (but we oh so needed that rain!).

I've had alot of people asking when I'm due, and the seem to be surprised when I tell them it's end of November. They all seem to think I'm due like in a month, and I really don't think I look 8 months pregnant. Oh well. If I follow family history (mom and sister), I'm likely to go anytime between 38-40 weeks, or possibly a few days past EDD. We'll see.

Things to do... Make cloth diapers in size small (have plenty of prefolds/covers for newborn), buy snappis (or at least find the one I have), dig out newborn/0-3 month clothes and wash them, majorly declutter bedroom so I have ROOM to set up the pack-n-play (use as a bassinet), declutter/clean the whole house because it's all just so GROSS , obtain infant carseat from a friend probably next month, make a sling... I hope that's all...

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM

I'll go next... I have 9 weeks left and still have some things left to accomplish before D-Day.

1. We need to buy DS's crib and dresser. Not too pressed for time on the crib because he won't be sleeping in it right away anyhow.

2. Need to buy baby hygiene products, such as baby wash, shampoo, petroleum jelly, etc... DESITIN is a MUST!!!

3. I need to wash all of the baby's clothes that we bought.

4. Probably need to get more wipes and diapers... can never have too many of those.

5. I still need to buy a couple of nursing bras and a breast pump. I already have storage bags to freeze my milk in ( I have to go back to work after 6 wks)

6. we need a large diaper bag and that about wraps it up for all we need to get still.

As for how I'm feeling emotionally:

I'm scared.... terrified is actually a better word. Our last baby died from Down Syndrome and everything indicates this baby is perfectly healthy but I'm still afraid. I won't be at ease until he's born and I can see with my own eyes that he's healthy. I'm also going for a VBAC this time around and I'm a little apprehensive about that. I definitely don't want another c-sec.

Oh and I almost forgot... we still have to buy a travel system and a swing.

Now that I'm looking at this list I'm finding I'm not as "ready" as I thought..:
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM

I've been on bedrest for the past several weeks, and get moved back to *modified* bedrest this sunday when I hit the peri's estimate for 32 weeks (according to my charting, 32 weeks wasy actually this past Sunday, but she's being conservative and going by the later of the two early ultrasound's estimated due dates), so I am anxiously awaiting that day!! I still have a lot to do for babe's arrival since I've been out of commission. I need to get the carseat from my SIL, and I need to have DH pull a few things out of the attic. I want to get myself some new nursing tank camis, my old ones are really shot. They were awesome last time around for those weeks postpartum when my belly still was jiggly, the lycra in the tank seemed to hold everything in nicely and didn't amke me cringe to lift my shrirt to nurse, LOL!

I really want to finish knitting up a few more pairs of longies and a sweater for this pumpkin, as well as a pair of pumpkin booties and a pumpkin hat (fall is my favorite season, so I'm totally going bonkers on the autumn baby thing, LOL!)

Otherwise, I'm really starting to feel like my body is gearing up big time. Braxton hicks have increased a TOn the past week or two, and they are painful to the point where I have to close my eyes and concentrate on breathing deeply though them. I'm amazed I'm still sleeping relatively well, although I get up to pee 4 times a night, LOL!

Overall, I'm ready to meet this little man. Last ultrasound estimaed him at 5 pounds 6 ounces last Thursday, so he's definitely a nice plump wee man
Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM

Well, I'm at 31w3d now, and it definitely feels as though this babe is getting closer and closer to being ready

My mum is flying in tomorrow for a 10 day visit; should make for an interesting time, as we don't necessarily see eye to eye on a few things, but I'm really thrilled that dd gets to spend some time with her Grandma. The spare room is also home to all of the 'baby' things, and Charlie is having a lot of fun picking things up, bringing them to me, and asking 'Charlie had this?' and then saying (with a worrying degree of pleasure, actually ) 'now Ewan have it.'

I'm having a lot of BH - it really feels as thought my uterus is getting in shape for this babe - and there have been a couple of times this last week that I've felt really prelabourish...since dd was an early bird I won't be surprised if this little one doesn't wait for the whole time!

The bad news is that I really really dislike my OB, and I am absolutely furious with myself for having come this far without doing anything about it. I have no idea what my options would be at this point...but dh and I have been talking a lot about switching out of the 'medical' stream, and looking for a midwife who'd be more supportive. Wish me luck....
Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 AM

Oh Erika! I REALLY hope you find someone who makes you more comfortable--a midwife sounds like a good plan for you! Good luck with that and keep us in the loop!

Ok...I'm almost 32 wks...and I'm ready to meet this person, but I'm in no rush. I LOVE being pg and I am LOVING the idea that we will have a new little person to love. I think my dd is ready, and my dh is deployed, but ready to meet him/her when he returns 3 mo pp.

As far as being physically ready for the baby--hmm..I have LOTS to do, but I know if the baby came tomorrow I'd be ok...
--I need to get a new infant carseat...I have one, but I'd like a carrier type as well (the one we have is a convertable)
--I would like to make some belly bands to 'hide' my belly when I nurse, not a MUST have tho
--need to wash baby clothes and dipes
--need to sort thru dd's summer things and bring out the fall/winter things
--need to get xmas letter written, and labels printed and on envelopes, ready to go, will just need to add a photo of the baby
--need to get birth supplies together for homebirth
--need to get photos in albums since I KNOW I won't do it after baby is here
--need to clean upstairs (did downstairs already--took 4 days! UGH)

I think that is about it. Not worried about freezing food--mom will be here and will cook! Already bought paper products (plates, cups, etc)...
Old 09-14-2006, 06:01 AM

OK, that's it - I'm going over to Bobbi's house to have my baby cos her mom's going to be cooking and then I won't have to see my horrid sOB

I think we're pretty much 'ready', at least physically. I don't have any PP supplies for me yet, but I'm working on that, and I suspect that my Mum wants to do some serious shopping for both wee ones whilst she's here, so clothes for babe won't be an issue. I have the bucket seat from dd that we'll use this winter, but then I need to find the $$$ for another convertible. We really don't use a whole lot of 'equipment' - I consigned most things after dd, because we didn't get any use out of them - but I did treat myself to a new sling from a mama on the TP here, and I can't wait to try it out I hope it's going to be the right size for me....I couldn't resist though!

Hopefully mum will help me to cook and freeze some stuff; she's an awesome cook, and I suspect there will be something really comforting about pulling a meal out that she made. Dh has stored up 5 weeks leave so we should be able to have a nice babymoon - Paxye, I think it's so awesome that your dh is taking parental leave!!

Well, it's 4 in the morning, and although babe is kicking like a little monkey I really should try to go back to bed - head colds should be BANNED! especially during pg :

Love to everyone and their beautiful baby bellies

:
Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have almost everything ready for babe, all my supplies except a new hose for for filling up my tub. My main project left is freezer meals. I have not cooked this entire pg, too many food adversions in the beginning, then we moved, our stove broke, too hot, now nothing sounds good or I'm too tired. I'm so sick of qick and easy meals that I have to actually cook things to eat after baby, and DH is no help in that area.

I'm getting excited to met this little one and getting nervous too. I'm not nervous about the birth, my anxiety is about what kind of baby this will be. DD had many, many food allergies that took us 2 years to find out, she was extremely colicky because of that. Then she absolutely hated the car seat, I couldn't go anywhere, very hard when you live in a rural area and town is 35 miles away. And have I mentioned that she has rarely slept since she was born. I honestly don't know who cried more dd's first year of life, me or her.I'll do fine if I have another child like dd, I've been through it before, but since I also know what it was like, I'm hoping not to have go back there again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Erika... I really hope that you get in touch with a MW nad that things work out for you... not being comfortable with your OB is not something that you need...
and yes... I think it is awsome that DH will be taking parental leave too, not only for the family but also for himself...

Everyone... thank you so much for sharing!

How about some more questions?

What help do you have lined up for after the birth? What are you most looking forward to with meeting the new babe? If you have kids already how do you think that they will react? How are you getting them prepared? What do you have planned for the holidays?

~paxye~
Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 AM

I'm week 31ish. Today is my last day of work before maternity leave! Last time I painted nonstop until the day before DS was born. (I have barely picked up a brush in the two years since then.) So with my new 10 weeks of freedom, I plan on painting again. I will also do some cleaning, nesting....

I have terrible pelvic pain so walking, sitting, standing - everything is tough. I will swim 2-3 days a week though, to keep up my strength and energy. Last pregnancy I biked 12 miles a day. This time I can't even sit on my bike. I have no idea what sex is like, it has been so long now. Luckily DH isn't a complainer.

Looking forward to a homebirth, hopefully in a big, rented birthing tub. Not looking forward to mother coming to visit - fine as long as after the birth, but beforehand will be completely stressful for me, which won't be beneficial to labor. My biggest wish is for a perfectly positioned baby, less than 15" head, pressing evenly on my cervix, chin in, facing my back, spine facing out, slightly to the left. I will get what I get, but I can dream.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Shoot I don't know what happened to my post. I'll have to repost later.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Well I am 31+ weeks and can't wait. My baby shower is saturday and for that I am very excited! My only dicomforts are sleeping and long walks as I have gained 50 pounds already!!! THis week has been a stressful one so of course my bp is elevated and my midwife is a little nervous. I had a death in the family lastnight so other than the stresses from this week I feel great!!:
Old 09-14-2006, 01:55 PM

i'm 32 weeks today, feeling pretty good. i'm absolutely HUGE, bigger than i was with both of my boys when they were born. i think i have like, 3 shirts that fit.

i don't have a whole lot to do, just cleaning and washing baby clothes and diapers. my MIL just ordered our new carseat, and i'm hoping my FIL will actually get up here before the birth so i can play with it and install it before we're actually going somewhere.

my MIL is coming up when i go into labor (from VA, 8 hours away) to help with the older kids for a week or so after the birth. last time she was a great help, but this time i hope she sticks to just hanging out with the kids. she rearranged my whole kitchen last time, and she's the queen of processed foods so i hope she'll leave kitchen duty to my husband this time around. this is my only real worry about the birth and babymoon though. last time my FIL brought my teenage brother in law up with him, even though we really don't get along and i asked my dh to make sure he didnt come. this time my dh promised he would tell his parents not to bring his little brother, but i know he would rather not and it will cause trouble with my FIL. honestly i would rather they not come at all, but they already planned it (without consulting me and i know my husband wants them here.

we're having thanksgiving at my house this year, which sounds really stressful, but it will just be my family and it's really more to meet the baby, just a convenient time when everybody is off from work and school. i'm really excited about it. either my mother will cook or we'll order take out. we'll probobly go home for christmas, though we're considering staying home until the day after. we haven't done christmas at our own house since before we were married.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM

I am around 30 weeks now and am just about done with this whole pregnancy thing. This is the first pregnancy I have actually had an out of the home job. Some days I feel like I never want to stop working and am afraid of going on maternity leave, others I feel like I can't do one more massage. I plan on cutting back my hours starting this week, and then maybe not working at all after the middle of Oct? I don't know. Right now I am just tired, and my pubic bone hurts. DH and I have been fooling around w/o having actual intercourse because it is akward, and last night I after my orgasm I had the hugest contraction. It lasted several minutes and you could see the outline of my uterus. It freaked me out and so I don't know when we will be doing that again.
On the positive side I am not really big, I have an appetite again, and we are finally getting the small remodeling jobs done around the house.

I am going to CD for the first time and am trying to get that all figured out. Have to get a dresser, put the crib together, have a couple of showers where I hope to get all the essentials, (like a car seat). My mom is going to stay after baby's born so she will cook. Thank goodness for that.

Again, I am just done with this inbetween stage where I am getting too tired to work, not miserable enough to give up yet.

Jennifer, mom to Joel , Duncan, Celia, and Aidan. Wife to Nathan.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:30 AM

To tell the truth, I haven't had much time to think about being pregnant. First, I was preoccupied with VBAC and care providers. Then there was the fetal echo "scare" and now I have the 3-hour GTT and an extra trip to my endocronologist to preoccupy me.

At least I had a bit of a getaway visiting friends in Minnesota and going to a cabin by a lake in Wisconsin. It was heaven! I did nothing for 10 days but eat, sleep and hang out. My friends were great with dd and their 10-yo son was absolutely amazing with her! I never knew a 10-yo boy could have so much fun with a 2.5 yo girl - it was the sweetest!

Now back at home, things are busy again. I returned Tuesday, had a prenatal with the 1-hr GTT Wednesday and visited with a friend yesterday before her induction. She went to the hospital this morning and her DH dropped their daughter off with us. So I've been looking after two 2-yo girls all day. It's been fun but my feet are sore. And with a bit of juggling with DH and a few tears, both girls have been sleeping peacefully for the last 1.5 hours. My friend was 3cm at 7pm so we're hoping all continues to go well. She was induced the last time as well since she has a blood clotting disorder and some other medical issues. Tonight I'm sleeping in the living room with my friend's daughter - this is her first time ever away from her parents this long so she's really missing them. My only worry is what happens when my daughter gets up in a few hours to look for me and sees that I'm sleeping with her little buddy!

And tomorrow is DD's 2.5 year check up and I have a to-do list for the next few weeks that seems so insurmountable all of the sudden that I'm trying just to focus on a few things at a time, like trying to get my OB's office to transfer my records to the midwives. At least I am no longer working! hooray! Now, if only I could get paid for my last two months of work.... Typical UN messed up my contract and now my pay is in limbo. One more thing to follow up on. Yikes!

Will I ever have time to just enjoy being pregnant this time around? It seems these moments of reveling in my pregnancy and this new life are eluding me this time around. *sigh*
Old 09-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye

What help do you have lined up for after the birth? What are you most looking forward to with meeting the new babe? If you have kids already how do you think that they will react? How are you getting them prepared? What do you have planned for the holidays?
Help for after the birth: My mom lives with us now!! It's great, but also sometimes I feel like I really need my space. It seems I always have someone following me around; a 2 year old, or dh or mom. At least mom follows me trying to be helpful.... versus Cecilia who I love dearly but the *w-h-i-n-i-n-g*.: I think she's just coping with all the big milestones she's been meeting, but oh please, when will it stop?! And dh reminds me that HE needs me too; usually at about 11:30 pm when I've finally fallen asleep.

New baby: I can't wait to see if it's a boy or girl!! We have names picked and I am looking forward to naming and caring for this new person. I won't have that pesky work stuff to get in my way after the birth this time, so I'm looking forward to being at home.

Preparing siblings: Celia and I talk about the 'new baby' sometimes and she must know something is up- it's hard to get comfortable on mama's lap these days!

Holidays: hmmmm; hadn't thought about those....?!! Thanksgiving I'll let the rest of the family figure that out and pick up the slack. Unless I haven't had the baby, then I'll help. Christmas- I guess I'll work on that soon.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized I didn't answer my own questions :

Help after the birth?

Dh is taking Parental leave so he will be home for 7 months I am going to invite a few friends over that are the type of friends that you don't have to entertain and will actually help out... they will probably only be able to come over for a day at most but really having DH there is the biggest help that I need... (even though he doesn't cook at all)
I think that I am going to keep family members away for as long as possible... they are no help at all and it would actually make me more tired and stressed...

What are you most looking forward to with meeting the new babe?
I can't wait to see if the babe is a boy or girl either... we have no clue yet on names especially for a boy:
I can't wait to be breastfeeding a new baby, to be able to babywear a new little one, to cuddle up to a new little body, to get to know my new child.. I can't wait to smell that new baby smell and just spend hours staring at the new little life... I LOVE newborns!!

If you have kids already how do you think that they will react? How are you getting them prepared?

I think that my older ds will be great... he had a very easy transition into being a big brother and he is really excited to have a new baby in the house...
Colin I think will have a harder time adjusting... he tells me that the baby is in my tummy and he talks to and hugs my tummy often and says Hi to the baby... However, Colin is a bit more posesive than his brother was at the same age... but I think that the combination of having daddy home full time and Tandem nursing (something that he is already used to) will make the transition easier.

What do you have planned for the holidays?

Well I will be making a big Thanksgiving dinner this year... of course I am Canadian so Thanksgiving is in mid October

For the rest of the holidays... we will be celebrating at our house like we do every year... Usually it is not much prep work because we have a Fondue supper... but I thinking of asking everone that may come to bring a bit more than they usually do and tell them that we are providing the space but that I won't be doing anything..

~paxye~
Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM

I'm 31w5d... and on vacation at the ILs' house. It has been wonderful, and I think it is a great transition for my son since Oma will be flying in to help us with him while we're having the baby. I'm starting to get to that uncomfy-belly stage - it's always in the way (and I forget it's there), my skin and muscles are really starting to stretch a lot, etc. So this has been a great break for me, too, since R can run and someone else will chase him - and they've been helping with diaper changes and feeding and dressing him and everything else. My husband and I are even going to go out for a nice long dinner date on Monday by ourselves - we're really excited!

I'm not sure how prepared or unprepared I am. I know there will always find more things to be done, but as far as actual ithastobedoneNOW stuff before the babe gets here, we're ready. We have all the "stuff" from last time - clothes, cloth diapers, co-sleeper, sling, boobs , so other than baby physically not being ready yet, s/he could come. We're bringing a car seat home with us - same one R has - so we'll be set with that, too.

I need to put the granny squares for Zy's blanket together, and I'd like to crochet a sweater for the babe, too. I made booties and a hat on this trip. I have the material serged for two new ring slings (R's is getting pretty worn, but still useable), just need to pick up the rings and sew them in place.

We're so blessed that my MIL is coming the day after my birthday (5 days before edd) to be with us, help around the house, take care of R, etc. So I'm not too worried about freezing meals this time - she's an AWESOME cook! The rest of the family (FIL, SIL, and BIL w/ fiancee) will be flying in the day before Thanksgiving and staying until the Monday after - the baby is being baptized on Thanksgiving. Mom's doing all the cooking for Thanksgiving, Dad and BIL will help Geof get a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving and get that set up, and they've all (except fiancee) been around us with a newborn before, so they know that breastfeeding the babe comes first and they're great with it. They're all great with helping around the house, too, and not expecting me to wait on them - so I'm just really looking forward to the get together.

I think R will do great with the new babe. My best friend and her husband and 5 month old stayed with us for a couple weeks before we left. Every morning, Robert would wake up and, instead of his normal litany of "door, wall, Pooh, diaper" he would say, "Baby, Hannah?" until we got him changed and ready to go see her. He would hug her and kiss her and bring her a pacifier if she was sad (which we won't have). He really liked having the baby around, and even a good week after they've been gone he still asks for the baby when he wakes up. Our joke is that if he's really good, we'll get him a replacement in a couple months.

We still have another big-ish trip to make once we're back home, so hopefully that will be okay and then I can settle in at home for a good month before the baby comes. I'm really looking forward out if this is a boy or a girl (pretty much everyone - myself included - thinks girl... but we'll see). I'm looking forward to the tiny baby stage again and hoping this one won't be a lot bigger than my son was - 9lbs 3 oz.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 PM

33 weeks here... and everyday it seems like there is something to do, some appointment to go to, etc. I've got to design a brochure by Oct. 10th for a doula as a barter for doula services and hypnobirthing classes...problem is, she can't meet me and give me her specs until the end of this month.

We're making a BIG move (practically cross country) in December, so everything has to be packed by then. Dh is taking the LSAT at the end of this month so he doesn't have time to do anything 'till then.

I know october is going to be mad crazy as I have to----

1. kick myself in the butt to practice hypnosis every.single.day. OR ELSE!
2. pack up as much as possible
3. wash all cloth dipes and clothes (a lot of washing, as all the CDs are new!)
4. get dh to read up on birth as he's missing my L&D class at the birth center
5. get dh to read up on vaxing so we can make a decision already
6. find a ped
7. read up on breastfeeding
8. get all the last minute stuff we have to buy.
9. make that darn brochure
10. write a birth plan in case of hosp. transfer--get dh to understand it
11. pack the birth center bag

I'm hitting 36 weeks around october 10th and I really wanted to be aaaaalll done by then...aint happening.

Good news--on my chart at the midwife's I have 2 due dates, an early one and a late one. So the early one will be taken into account to allow me to deliver in case I go early (they allow 37 weeks or more) and the late one will be taken into account in case I go late (they allow up to 42 weeks). Pretty nifty...
Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Good news--on my chart at the midwife's I have 2 due dates, an early one and a late one. So the early one will be taken into account to allow me to deliver in case I go early (they allow 37 weeks or more) and the late one will be taken into account in case I go late (they allow up to 42 weeks). Pretty nifty...
My midwife did this too! I am so happy about it!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 09-17-2006, 01:11 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What help do you have lined up for after the birth?
At this point only DH taking a week off. I'm sure other's will pitch in. But we're pretty muh by ourselves.

What are you most looking forward to with meeting the new babe?
I can't wait to see what he looks like. ALl my kids have looked so different at birth and stayed very different looking. DS1 has brown hair/brown eyes. DD has brown wavy hair/ hazel eyes. DS2 has red curly hair/blue eyes.

If you have kids already how do you think that they will react?
How are you getting them prepared?
My 5 year old is SO excited. He wants to be at the birth. He remember my last pg well enough, he's pretty prepared. My 3 year old, I'm not sure. Sometimes she seems excited, other times it seems like she really doens't understand there will be a new baby soon. We are just trying to read books about new babies to her and talk to her about it. She didn't do too well when DS2 was born. My 18 month old, I'm not sure. There's not much I can do to prepare him. I'm worried he'll be kind of in shock at first.

What do you have planned for the holidays? nothing too exciting. Most likely stick by home.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:35 AM

I'm really excited! I'm moving in 2 or 3 weeks, and due in 8. So nesting will be major at the new place!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

User Tag List