Ugh. Levels too high on 1-hour GTT. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-14-2006, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are lots of false positives with this test and my midwife said that it is not anything I did, but I think it is! I just returned from a vacation on which I really indulged, eating everything in sight, and exercising not a bit. I put on 4 pounds in 2 weeks and before that I'd gained 13 pounds tops this pregnancy.
Anyway, other than reestablishing my pre-vacation eating and exercise habits, any advice or thoughts? My levels were 155.
#2 of 7 Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 PM

What is the cut off - 140? I'd ask to maybe take it again in a week. or see if you can get a monitor and start checking your levels at home for a bit, especially your morning fasting.
#3 of 7 Old 09-15-2006, 12:11 AM

I failed the 1 hr test with a score of 172. They made me do the 3 hour test, and even though I considered it torture and felt like I was going to die the first hour, I ended up passing it fine. The only thing I did different was drink water and walk around a bit. I walked because it made me feel better the first hour, I was OK after that- but VERY hungry when it was done. I wouln't worrk about it.
#4 of 7 Old 09-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Your eating habits don't cause GD, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you're taking the 3 hour, it will be negative if you don't have GD. And if it is positive, then you know you need to eat a diabetic-friendly diet. If you don't want to take the 3 hour, just test your blood sugar at home with a glucometer if you have access to one. For 2 hours post-meal, it should be below 120 (mine was in the lower 90s, and I do NOT eat a diabetic-friendly diet normally ).

Many women fail the 1 hour test and go on to pass the 3 hour. The 1 hour by itself is just not a good indicator of GD.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 7 Old 09-15-2006, 02:56 PM

accurate test of how my body processes sugar and boy was I thinking OOPS when I took the finger prick test--it was 166, so above the limit of "normal"

So, I am curious to see how it will be next week when I test again after eating a normal diet.

I would really hate for them to stick a label on me and then call me "high risk" and make it even hard for me to labor naturally.
I guess I should have thought about it before I did it --I should have ate normal and then out of curiosity I could have eaten bad and tested it in the privacy of my home, not to go on my record! UGH.

The morning of I had frosted mini wheats 2 hours prior, the day before that I had: 2 hot cocoas during the day from Starbucks, one with whipped cream,
a veyr large rice crispy treat at the bakery.. a large chocolate chip cookie from the bakery....a grilled cheese sandwich one white bread. I went to the mall and ate all sorts of junk but I now regret that because I really fear being labeled.

Of course it is good for me to know just how much that nasty food makes my body reacts, and how bad it truly is for the baby, but now they have an excuse to say i have some sort of health problem which I probably would have passed the 3 hour with flying colors.

SIGH.

Remind me to eat reallly really well before the next appt.
and every day, for my baby!
Erica
#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2006, 03:39 PM

Its not so much that there are false positive with the 1 hour GTT. It is by design a screen, not a test, meant to capture more women than truly are GD so that it doesn't miss any.

But I also failed the 1 hour this time (first time in 3 pregnancies) and it sucked. And I REALLY failed it, with a 197, so I was kind of freaked out since i have a strong family history of diabetes. But I passed the 3 hour just fine. Most women who are identified by the 1 hour screen pass the 3 hour test just fine.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#7 of 7 Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Oh my God, Erica, I'm LOL at everything you ate! And drooling....

Last time I had a 140 on the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour just fine, though it did make me pretty sick. This time I did the same as citymama, came home from a vacation where I basically lived on doughnuts and Pop-Tarts, and failed the 1-hour SPECTACULARLY, with a 206. They had me skip the 3-hour and just considered me a diabetic.

I was really upset at first, but then decided it's not the end of the world. It's forcing me to eat well; while I was eating a lot of fruits and veggies and whole grains, I was also indulging my sweet tooth quite a bit and was gaining a little more than I really wanted to. Now I have only put on a lb. in the last 3 weeks since my dx, and that's just moving from summer clothes to fall clothes!

I hated the diet they gave me, so I did some research and made up my own and while the nutritionist doesn't like it and can't figure out why it's working, it is. I check my BSL every day and it's been fine.

Anyway, I'm trying to control my BSL now to avoid a huge baby; I have pelvic issues and need to avoid an induction!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page