Medications for anxiety and depression. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am am seeing a therapist right now to help me with my anxiety and childhood abuse. She seems to be suggesting that I start taking medications for my anxiety now. I have been very anxious throughout the pg and know this isn't good for the baby. However I still worry about possible effects meds would have on her. I have tried many different medications for anxiety without much luck. The only ones that have worked for me are things like Xanax which I don't think is approved for pg or bf. I have been using Benadryl when I get really bad because it helps me calm down and sleep and I feel bad even doing that. She has also suggested that if I don't start medication now I start as soon as she is born to prevent ppd. I know that other women have done this and bf but it makes me a little nervous. I'm starting to feel really guilty that I am so anxious and possibly hurting Lily before she is even born. Anyone out there in the same boat?
#2 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM

I have an anxiety and panic disorder, too. I take Rescue Remedy the moment I feel an attack coming on and then I take it in high quantities ( I have gone through a bottle in one day when I have had an attack) until I start to feel like I'm "coming down" from the attack, then I take it every hour for the rest of the day. It doesn't stop them all the time but it does make them way less severe and takes away some of the most uncomfortable sensations (I vomit for example when I am at a peak). Its safe for pregnancy and BF.
I'm sorry your going through this right now. It can really suck. I would really take a look at the positive effects of BF on mood and mental function before taking something that would make that relationship impossible.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#3 of 6 Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 PM

i know I dont post much here.. but I figured I could chime in on this one.
I am bipolar, and thankfully when im pg my mood disorder is very much calmed down (they think its because of the hormones). Though, I guess I am lucky.

Anyhow there are meds out there that are safer than others to take for depression and anxiety. Just make sure they are well aware that you are BF. As for taking them when PG, i dont know what to tell you. Other than keep talking to your t-doc and see what "coping" skills they have to give you (as far as ways to naturally try to relax and calm yourself down).

For me, when I was dx as bipolar was when my DD#3 was about 18 months old and I was told every med they needed to try on me was a big no no in BF (they are some pretty heavy duty meds) so at that point we cut our Extended BF plans down because it was more important that my son had me, and had me there (emotionally and physically) than that he was bfed (IMHO). It was a tough call for me, but i think i did the right thing for us.

Having said that, i know this time around I might have to play it out differently. Anxiety and antidepressants alone dont work well with me.. they tend to cause other bigger issues.. so I am not looking forward to all of that.
#4 of 6 Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM

I am usually fine but when I was in the hospital I had major crying epesodes and they chalked it up to anxiety and put me on adavant 3X a day... I refused to the 2 doses during the day and just took one at night and it really helped me.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#5 of 6 Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 PM

popping in from the Feb ddc...
i've had severe anxiety issues for years and was on xanax. it is NOT approved to take during pregnancy or bfing because it can cause serious harm to the babe. i still take zoloft though, which has the lowest transfer rate in breastmilk of all antidepressents/antianxiety drugs. if you go to www.kellymom.com it will tell you the "pregnancy category" of different meds. meaning, how safe it is to take. hth

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#6 of 6 Old 09-17-2006, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am still unsure what I am going to do at this point. Part of the problem for me is that I have been living with anxiety and depression for so long that even when it is bad and the effects it has on me are apparent to those around me I don't feel that it is really that bad. However when I am medicated and feeling better and think about how I feel unmedicated I realize what a toll the anxiety has on me and my relationships. That said it is hard for me to weight the possible side effects of the medication and the negative impact of the anxiety on the baby. Also I have tried most every SSRI available and none have helped my anxiety. I supposed I may have a different reaction to them post partum so they may be worth trying again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page