Bleah. Contractions and bedrest - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last several days I've been having lots of BH contrax, mainly in the afternoon and evenings. I've never had these in either of my previous full term pregnancies. I know its "normal" but because I had a uterine rupture last time, its totally freaking me out.

My OB says to call if they become more frequent than 5-6 an hour and they will have to put me on tocolytics to stop the uterine activity. If I drink GALLONS of water and don't do anything except sit on the sofa or surf the web (oh, and pee), that seems to work. But this is driving me NUTS!!!

And my 5 year old is NOT sympathetic to mommy's lack of activity. I've played more Candyland and Chutes&Ladders than I could have ever imagined. : AND, just for added fun, DH is out of town on a business trip and won't be home until Tuesday.

I've been mentally preparing myself for the planned early delivery we are already doing at 37 weeks, but now I'm totally freaking out that this one may have to come out even earlier.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#2 of 8 Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Oh, honey, I *know* how you feel! I've been on strict bedrest (get up to go bathroom and can shower once a day, that's it!) for the past several weeks, and I'm fianlly getting to move to *modified* bedrest this week - I feel like I'm being let out of prison. I've been very (VERY!) fortunate that DH has arranged his work schedule to work from home 3 days a week, and then my dad has come the other two to stay with my boys. We've done LOTS of coloring, board games, and movies though.

The only thing that has keep me from going insane through any of my bedrests (last time it was over 10 weeks, adn then before that it was 3 weeks with #2) was really meditating on the fact that in doing nothing I was doing the best thing I could to keep baby where he needed to be. (((Hugs)))
#3 of 8 Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Hoping your babe stays in there...

Bedrest sounds pretty stinky...especially with all those BHs. I get a lot but once they were just so many I got worried and started drinking tons of water and then lay down. Of course that made me get up and pee so much that I think the 'bedrest' was largely pointless. I'm starting to hate BHs a lot right now.
#4 of 8 Old 09-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Big hugs...Sending you stay in baby vibes!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 8 Old 09-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Aww mama!! I feel ya! I am not even allowed to sit in a chair I have to be laying down all the time.. it sucks so bad and I miss my dd ( i see her everyday now but I can't do anything with her)

I totally miss sex too.... I think its important you get someone to help you out at home... And if you can get the trurb pump for home you could avoid going to the hospital for long term!!

I am always doing 100% nothing so you could always call me and we can gripe together!!! If you like

Hang in there mama! this too shall pass

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#6 of 8 Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM

Beth, my thoughts are with you. Hang in there.
#7 of 8 Old 09-17-2006, 09:20 PM

I'm so sorry, Mama! It seems like you have enough to worry about with the end of this pregnancy already! I'm sorry you have to add lots of BH contrax. to the mix.

I also wanted to let you know that I have a TON of BH contractions, they definitely pick up in the evenings, often 10+ per hour. This happened to me with my last pregnancy as well, and I was in and out of the hospital and on bedrest and nifedipine and terbutaline (anti-contrax. drugs), and I kept having the contractions and I NEVER dilated! The fact that this is your third pregnancy, and so close in time to your second pregnancy is probably the reason you are having so many BH now.

Because of my experience last time, I'm not worrying about my BH at all this time. I know it is unnerving, but unless you are dilating, it's probably completely safe. I would be very surprised if it was at all possible to have a UR from BH contractions, even with a history of UR.

That said, I hope they let up soon and you can have a few more weeks of peaceful pregnancy!!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#8 of 8 Old 09-17-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would be very surprised if it was at all possible to have a UR from BH contractions, even with a history of UR
Unfortunately, they don't really know, since pregnancy after rupture is very rare. But I am on an on-line Pregnancy after Rupture support group, and anecdotally two of the mamas there DID re-rupture after having frequent BH. It could be coincidence, but without any studies there is just no way to know.

Anyway, they seem to have slowed down significantly. I don't know if its all the water or the rest or both. But the last 2 days I've only had a few here and there, mainly after climbing stairs.

DD and I were soooo stir crazy today, we went to the mall. I had her run around the play area there for an hour while I sat there and knitted and we came home after an hour. It was such a blessed relief to get OUT of the house. : I feel bad complaining with the mamas here who are on strict bedrest. I have the ultimate respect now for women who are on bedrest for weeks and months!! It is sooooo stressful!

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page