Great Ped visit! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-19-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a brief appointment with the babe's potential pediatrician today.

I had been worried, since my insurance is an HMO and I wasn't sure how flexible the doctors in the system would be about some of my wishes. I had already been warned by the MWs I'm seeing for the birth that some of the doctors at my HMO were a bit nutty about out-of-hospital births, many even refusing to sign the letter they ask us to give the peds (which, btw, just specifies which procedures they can/can't do, and what they need the ped to do).

Turns out she's great! She bf her children for over a year, has worked with birth center/home birth clients before and knew the routines, and most importantly was completely open to my delayed/modified vax schedule.

She also gave me some cool resources for bfing help and told me that she's working with some of the other peds to get our insurance to cover visits with a lactation consultant, which they don't do now.

Have you been meeting with potential pediatricians before the baby's birth? How is it going?
#2 of 4 Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am meeting mine next week, but I found a great group here called Pediatric Alternatives. They are totally open to letting me decide what is best for my child, so long as my decision is an informed one.
#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm seeing a family practitioner for pregnancy/birth, so as soon as the baby is out, she's also his/her ped. She did that for my son, too. We absolutely love her!
#4 of 4 Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We rarely go to a MD, last time 3.75 year old dd went to one she was 2 months old. I take her to yearly appointments with my ND, mainly just a "cover my butt" appointment for documentation purposes. As I'm sitting here thinking about it, I realize that we haven't made it in this year. DH would like one newborn exam with a MD for this one so I'll go in when baby is a month old or so. I haven't called around yet, I have some ideas though. I've heard good things about one new pedi in town, and I have a professional relationship with another who would see us, no questions asked, but I'm heistant to mix our realtionship with my very definate beliefs.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page