Any especially lovely baby gifts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While we really didn't *need* anything for this baby, there are a couple of "extras" that I wanted, and a few things have started arriving in the mail (we aren't having a "shower," but some family/friends have asked for gift suggestions). I got a couple of Cozy Cocoon baby buntings (www.cozycocoon.com) that look really sweet, and I can't wait to see how they help out with the early nursing days (remembering how hard it is to keep those arms out of the way), and swaddling in general. I also was gifted the softest lambskin I've ever felt (it's merino) from www.babybunz.com . I getting baby presents that I think we'll actually really use and appreciate!

Anyone else gotten anything especially lovely?

Coming home to a package by the door does make these last weeks more exciting!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 PM

Nope, not yet! I hate to be greedy, but I really can't wait for gifts to start showing up. I'm getting a little panicked
Old 10-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Nope. No gifts and not expecting anything material anyway. I feel fortunate that I have supportive mama friends in the area and we've been helping one another out during our second pregnancies and first and second babies!

I would, however, like to find some good receiving/swaddling blankets. Any suggestions??
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 PM

Those are such yummy baby items, Lex! I'd love to get those in the mail any day...

My MIL has been asking me what we want/need and I kept saying, "I don't need anything, I don't need anything..." partly because I was afraid she'd buy me tons of "baby gear" (i.e. swing, bouncer, exersaucer, etc.) and I'd really not like to clutter my tiny apartment with that stuff. I did mention that I'd like a baby hammock but haven't told her exactly how much the amby costs. She totally wouldn't care especially because they love to make big ticket purchases like that for us (nice, eh? ) but I'm just thinking that she might be like, "huh? That much for a hammock?"

I'm making an online baby registry for all of that cool stuff you can't get in stores but have yet to pass it on to family. I'm kind of : from what their reaction will be to the out-of-the-ordinary, rather more expensive than average AP gifts! Oh well...for us, traditionally gifts are given *after* baby comes, so I have time...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:13 PM

some adorable outfits have come my way (there is a little soft white overall winnie the pooh suit that is darling), but I am having a shower oct. 29th, so we will see!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:37 PM

my co-worker made a baby comforter for me. it was super sweet of her and so adorable with all my favorite colors. all pastels - green, pink, blue and yellow! and the comforter's got babies, bears, & duckies on it.

shellie - momma to two adorable girls and my cutie boy
Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 PM

No one has given me anything this entire pregnancy. I guess second babies don't deserve lovely things around here...yes, I am bitter. My mother finally felt sorry for me and took me shopping for some baby pajamas, especially considering that all of ds's newborn clothes are for warm weather. Luckily the poor baby won't freeze now.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM

Jumping in from October and thought I would share. In 1999 my husband and I had a little boy we named Orion who was born at 20 weeks. He blessed us for 9 minutes. I am now due in October (although November is not out of the question) with another baby. My shower was 2 weeks ago and I got the most amazing blanket made by my loving sister in law. It has stars all over it and a patch that says "May the stars of Orion watch over you as you slumber". She said it is so the new baby knows it has a big brother who will always look after it. I have it at the foot of our bed and just can't wait to wrap our little baby in it. I think it is the most wonderful gift I have ever gotten!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKat View Post
Jumping in from October and thought I would share. In 1999 my husband and I had a little boy we named Orion who was born at 20 weeks. He blessed us for 9 minutes. I am now due in October (although November is not out of the question) with another baby. My shower was 2 weeks ago and I got the most amazing blanket made by my loving sister in law. It has stars all over it and a patch that says "May the stars of Orion watch over you as you slumber". She said it is so the new baby knows it has a big brother who will always look after it. I have it at the foot of our bed and just can't wait to wrap our little baby in it. I think it is the most wonderful gift I have ever gotten!
Oh man, that is so touching, what a wonderful, thoughtful gift. Hope all goes well for you/
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 AM

I got some really meaningful gifts from my mom. She has a neuromuscular disorder that used to make it hard for her to so much as hand-write a short note. With lots of different treatments, she has gotten somewhat better (though she still has limitted mobility in her legs).

When we came to visit when I was about 10/12 weeks, she asked me to bring some yarn scraps and my crochet hooks so she could see if she was able to crochet anymore. Well, she was not only able to, but she has gone nuts with it and made a bunch of blankets, sweaters, booties, etc for this baby. I'm so excited about all of it. I've made some things for the baby, but these mean a whole lot to me.

The other gift that I'm really looking forward to is my MIL coming for 3 weeks around/after my due date. She's an awesome woman and she's coming to help with things around the house and to be here with my son while we're having the baby. We're having the baby baptized on Thanksgiving, and the whole family is coming for that (it's all good - they were all here for my son's baptism at 16 days and they know that I'll mostly be sitting and nursing the babe... and they're all quite helpful). So she'll be cooking for Thanksgiving and everything, and I know she'll help me get meals frozen for after they leave. We're really blessed with great family!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetiemommy View Post
No one has given me anything this entire pregnancy. I guess second babies don't deserve lovely things around here...yes, I am bitter.
I am too... I thought it was bad enough with ds#2... no one gave us a thing and really didn't even acknowlodge Colin...

This time is even worse. Not only has no one given us anything, no one even has called to see how I am and there are many people that don't even know that we are expecting another babe. I just wish someone would give me a call and just ask me how I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKat View Post
That brought tears to my eyes.... wishing you a wonderful birth

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 PM

My favorite gift so far is a blanket that my mom crocheted for the baby to come home in.... it's beautiful and I'm sure will be in our family a long time to come. I love heirlooms. My mother is elderly and it makes me feel so good to know that she was able to do this for our baby. That way if something should happen to her before our little boy is old enough to remember her, he'll have something she made especially for him.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:57 PM

Actually, my swap partners from this DDC gave me some very thoughtful things. I now have lovely homemade receiving blankets and advocacy wear! Yay!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 AM

My husband got all my friends and family together and bought me a Phil and Ted E3 stroller with the double seat! Technically its a birthday present but its something I really wanted (we live in the country so no sidewalks to take walks on) and I will use it forever I think!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 AM

hopeful1: I love heirlooms as well!

I was given (from my grandma) the hand-made christening gown and cap that my mom and uncle were christened in.
My MIL sent me my DH's coming-home outfit. I was pretty scared when she sent it (knowing I would be expected to actually put my child in it) as my DH is a child of the 70's. I was very pleasently surprised! It is a white hand-chrochet footed sleeper. So sweet for a boy or a girl!
A dear friend gave me a flannel crib quilt she made.

I have been truly blessed with wonderful, thoughtful items from truly thoughtful people!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)

User Tag List