Fish Oil Anyone else - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else taking fish or flax oil? I have been taking about 3 months now and really I dont know if I should stop since its a blood thinner or keep taking it my dr dosent know also.....
#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM

I'm taking it as well. I didn't know it was a blood thinner. I'm interested in what others have to say.
Kat
#3 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 06:52 PM

I have been taking DHA the whole pregnancy and intend to keep taking it while nursing. it is not a blood thinner. DHA is very important for the baby's brain development- and mom's mood. It is an excellent supplement so long as the fish are mercury free.
#4 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 PM
rad

I take it year around pg, nursing or not. I just up my dose alittel when I'm pg and nursing. It's is an excellent supplement. It's not a blood thinner but it does help with cardivascular health.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#5 of 9 Old 10-05-2006, 05:12 PM

I dont' know about it being a blood thinner but my naturopath had me on it for 2 years before I got pg, she also told me to keep taking it during pgncy and while bf as its GREAT for baby and milk production. I phoned the company to double check and they said yes, lots of pg women are taking it and its very safe. I take fish oil btw...a mecury free one. It has lemon and some small amt of thyme in it for taste. All safe!
#6 of 9 Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 AM

I was actually thinking of starting some but I am worried about the mercury. What brands are you all using?
#7 of 9 Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 PM

I work in the Vitamin/ Herbal Supplement industry- and IMO the best brand to take is Nordic Naturals DHA. All they do is fish oil- and they do the best job- super clean, no heavy metals, and no PCB's. They also put a little flavor in them so you don't burp fish. I take the strawberry DHA gel caps.
#8 of 9 Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 PM

My ND suggested Ascenta Fish Oil - Nutra Sea. I think they have a website. I'm in Canada and can buy it at any health food place....its really good stuff.
#9 of 9 Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM

I know there is good reason to be worried about mercury levels in fish, however, studies I have read testing various brands of fish oil placed them all well within safe levels of exposure, most didn't have any toxic chemicals whatsoever. I've been taking fish oil for the past 3 months, as I read it is great for baby's brain development, as well as memory (ie my own brain) in the mother. I would highly recommend it. Omega-3's are great for your heart, your brain. I've never heard of there even being any negative side effects. Mostly I'm shocked everyone's doctor isn't out recommending/requiring that they take it! The overwhelming evidence is that it is very, very beneficial.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page