So....I painted my kitchen yesterday - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes you read that right! A huge, 36 week pregnant woman moved all the kitchen furtinure away from the walls and painted all the walls, did most of the edging adn is hounding her dh to do the rest (the kind where a ladder is needed...I don't hink I'm going to tempt fate that hard). It looks great and I am so glad I did...I've had the paint since July!

Can you say nesting?????

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#2 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM

That's major nesting. What color did you paint it?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 PM

woooohooo! cool mama
I've been doing major nesting too although it doesn't help we moved a little over a month ago and the house is : and I want it perfect

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#4 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
rad

I wish I'd get that nesting bug. Ive also had kitchen paint for several months, but haven't gotten around to painting.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#5 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Its a lovely shade of olive green...really warmed the room up! I've been all over dh to get the edging done tonight so that it looks finished (I still have to do the ceiling but I'm not going to tackle that right now I don't think!) before the baby is born. I know myself and having it unfinished would really distract me during labor!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#6 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 PM

Not in your DDC, but I can't help responding...

I am so jealous! I love to paint; I wanna paint. Dh, my mom, and several others have become the Paint Police. They have a cow every time I even go near a paint brush even though my OB approves. I've been reduced to painting a very small bureau in secret.

OK, sorry for that outburst. Now that it's over, let me just say that I am also very inspired and impressed. Way to go!
#7 of 16 Old 10-05-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansmom View Post
Not in your DDC, but I can't help responding...

I am so jealous! I love to paint; I wanna paint. Dh, my mom, and several others have become the Paint Police. They have a cow every time I even go near a paint brush even though my OB approves. I've been reduced to painting a very small bureau in secret.

OK, sorry for that outburst. Now that it's over, let me just say that I am also very inspired and impressed. Way to go!
My family reacted the same way when I painted the trim in my kids' room. Now my kitchen NEEDS painted- we've pulled the wallpaper down. It has to be done now. If anyone complains, I'm gonna hand them the paintbrush and say, "Okay, you do it then"
Where do you live? You can come help me with mine.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#8 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:06 AM

Ok painting people...tell me the ins and outs...
I've got paint, and REALLY want to paint 2 walls in my living room...the only negative is moving the couches out of the way.

Ok..did you use dropcloths or plastic? Brushes or rollers? Did you tape first? I've never painted a wall, not sure how many layers I should use...not sure if I shoudl just sponge paint or regular...

I really want to paint some of dd's wooden kitchen pieces, but they are all dark brown now, and would need to be striped first--and I think stripping is known as not being good for baby--even if I did it outside...

Good for you guys for getting some nesting energy--blow some my way please!
#9 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Bobbi, I am not a painting expert BUT this is the 4th time I have painted my kitchen in 5 years....I am sort of a lazy painter. I use a roller for the main part of the wall, I use an edger for the ceiling edge, a brush for "cutting in" on the corners. I am such a terrible edger, even with the short cut tool that I almost always have to go back through and touch up the ceiling with a brush. I do use tape around doors and window trim (we don't have floor trim yet) and on any part of the wood flooring that will maybe get paint on it. I use the blue painter's tape because it really does come off very easily.

I don't know anything about refinishing stuff...anyone else?

#10 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 11:53 AM

I love to paint!

I use wide blue tape to tape off the trim by the floor and sometimes throw down a drop cloth- mostly to satisfy dh. Then I do all of the edges with an edger, kinda feathering in the edge that's away from the ceiling/wall so it will blend with the roller. After edging I roll. I usually paint in color, and I've really found that no matter what you are doing, two coats of paint is best.

A few weeks ago I painted our new little family room creamy white on three walls and a great, warm terra cotta on the fourth wall. I love it!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#11 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Mrs. Hos- There ARE strippers out there that use orange oil (for example) and are suppoed to be safer. They are still paint strippers, though, and should be treated as such. I'd suggest read the labels first and make sure you are comfortable with them before buying.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#12 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
rad

I love to paint. It gives me some alone time. Plus, if I didn't do it, it'd never get done.

I used that wide blue painters tape. I'm very picky about lines, so everything has to be taped off. They I use a roller for the main part. A brush for the edges and corners. I usually throw down a painter's cloth just to be safe. I don't want any accidental drips on my carpet. I just finished painting the baby's room. Now I'd like to get the kitchen done. I'd prefer to have DH help me move the big stuff, but I'll do it myself if I get desparate enough for it to get done.

SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#13 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila View Post
My family reacted the same way when I painted the trim in my kids' room. Now my kitchen NEEDS painted- we've pulled the wallpaper down. It has to be done now. If anyone complains, I'm gButonna hand them the paintbrush and say, "Okay, you do it then"
Where do you live? You can come help me with mine.
I'm in Massachusetts...Oh, I'd hop on a plane to Texas anytime for a good painting project, but I know my Paint Police also moonlight as the Plane Police.
#14 of 16 Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 PM

Ha ha ha! I did this last week as well. My kitchen and dining room are now a lovely blue color with white trim Fun. I thought I was the only person crazy enough to be doing this, lol.
#15 of 16 Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm getting ready to paint too. A good solution for the "paint police".....get Sherman Williams "Harmony" paint (zero VOC's). They also make a "Harmony" primer. It's all I have used for the past 3 years and there is virtually no odor after a day & a half.
#16 of 16 Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 AM
rad

Thanks to this thread, I got motivated and painted my kitchen. It looks so much better. Don't know why I waited so long. Now that I've got the painting bug, I thin I'll take care of the bathrooms and the hallways too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page