Placenta Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How big is it?

I've started gathering my supplies to bring with me when I go for the birth, and one of the things we need is a plastic bowl with a lid for the placenta (and a shovel if we choose to bury it there ). But I have no idea how big it is and don't want to bring a bowl too small : Anyone know?

Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 06:22 PM

My supply list said a large yogurt container or two, one gallon zip lock bags. HTH's,
#3 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 07:06 PM

I am going to be using a large frozen yogurt container. My midwife told me that it should be fine but I am not sure how big a placenta would be!
#4 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM

not sure how much they vary in size from woman to woman, but mine was pretty stinkin' big on tuesday! I'd say a gallon ziploc bag would hold it but with not much wiggle room. A large yogurt container definitely would NOT have held my placenta!!
#5 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Is anyone planning on eating it? Where can I find the info where it says it helps keep ppd at bay?

I've been feeling pretty down and I'm afraid I might have a hard time after the birth. I'd like to do some reading and possibly consider this.
#6 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
not sure how much they vary in size from woman to woman, but mine was pretty stinkin' big on tuesday! I'd say a gallon ziploc bag would hold it but with not much wiggle room. A large yogurt container definitely would NOT have held my placenta!!
i totally agree! mine have been lg pyrex bowl sized...or 5 qt ice cream bucket maybe...

wendy- blessed mama of 8 (baby girl: Zia  4/7/2013

#7 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
Is anyone planning on eating it? Where can I find the info where it says it helps keep ppd at bay?

I've been feeling pretty down and I'm afraid I might have a hard time after the birth. I'd like to do some reading and possibly consider this.
I've seen info on this in the PPD group below the I'm Pregnant group here on MDC. That might be helpful!

Some midwives will also dry and powder it for you and put it in caplets - check with yours, mama!
#8 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 PM

Mine struck me as being pretty large - it was in a silver mixing bowl like thing at the hospital... like a really large liver!

I'd agree that a gallon ziplock would be good - or an ice cream pail kind of thing.
#9 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here View Post
Mine struck me as being pretty large - it was in a silver mixing bowl like thing at the hospital... like a really large liver!

I'd agree that a gallon ziplock would be good - or an ice cream pail kind of thing.
You know, after three kids, I don't think I ever really looked at it. They ploped it in one of those tubs and did who knows what with it. A ice cream pail. That sounds like a good idea. I think my mom "might" have some of those laying around.

btw, what the heck DO they do with them?
#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
You know, after three kids, I don't think I ever really looked at it. They ploped it in one of those tubs and did who knows what with it. A ice cream pail. That sounds like a good idea. I think my mom "might" have some of those laying around.

btw, what the heck DO they do with them?
I asked to see it, both in my birth plan and in person. If I remember this time, I want to take a photo, too.

What do they do with it? Most likely it is incinerated as "medical waste" along with removed gall bladders and tonsils and limbs. I know that it is inspected first by some department to make sure it's all there and that the umbilical cord had all the right veins and was attached correctly and such. But I don't think it's kept around too long.

I totally respect those who want to keep theirs and either consume it or plant it. Personally, the thought of keeping it in my freezer squigs me out a lot, and we live in a house that isn't ours - and I don't want something that important burried here. I had a hard time burying my cat in the backyard yesterday - and that's no comparison to the life-link between me and my children. So I'm more okay with it being disposed of at the hospital than here. Should we ever move to someplace that is ours, I would probably bury it there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page