Car seat covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering what to use to keep my dh warm in the winter. I was thinking of getting a car seat cover. There are basically two kinds that I have found. Ones that have elastic and just go over the top and then zip in the front and then ones that sit in the seat and have holes for the belts in the back so you can strap the baby in and then zip the front over them. This is pretty much the last thing on my list of things to get!! Could I just use blankets? I know it's not good to use "snow suits" or jackets because you can't get the straps tight enough in the car seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM

I got one of those JJ Cole bunting bags that fit right in the car seat, it seemed to be the easiest on the baby. Not having to bundle it up as much. But I plan on wearing my baby a lot so then I will count on my own body heat and blankets.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:51 PM

I love the JJ Cole Bundle Me covers.
Often I get asked if I had any "must haves" when my babes were born - and that is one of them. My SIL got them for us at the shower, I had no idea what they were - I have purchased 3 for friends since.

Alright - I will get off my soap box now , but really - they are great!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info- I am also planning on wearing her alot too! Can you just put the sling under your coat and then cover with a blanket?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 PM

if you don't want to spend a lot on a car seat cover...there are patterns out there to sew your own.....my mom made one for my niece that i will be using for my baby....

as far as the sling question....pretty sure you can do exactly what you said and be fine....you may want to get a large coat that will fit around you and the babe.....
Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just put blankets over baby after strapping baby in the carseat. And when carrying baby in the sling, I closed my coat around him. I bought the coat after I had him, so was able to try it on over baby and make sure it'd fit.

I never needed anything extra besides sling/coat/bodywarmth, but I'm also in AL where it doesn't get THAT cold. But the above worked fine in freezing or slightly below freezing weather. Never experienced -40 or anything here.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 10-13-2006, 05:29 PM

stay away from the bundle me, and other carseat covers that go under the baby. they have the same issues as a snowsuit or other heavy jacket. get a fleece snowsuit (fairly thin) and top it off with blankets over the straps, or a shower cap style cover that doesn't go under the baby.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:00 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=carseat

That link may help some as it was kind of discussed before, it starts on page 3. I would reccomend one of the covers that go over the baby, you'll read the whole explanation in that thread.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM

O had a goldbug cover that was waterproof nylon on one side and thick fleece ont eh other. It was showercap style, with a hole for babe's face and a flap over that you could use to cover babe when getting in/out of the car. It was awesome - I loved it with my Dec babe. Somehow, I lost it since then, and I'm on the hunt now for the same one.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:36 PM

I'd like to ask a question related to this...if the OP doesn't mind...

I have one of the showercap type covers...however, I was planning on just using the convertable car seat instead of the infant carrier since our old carrier is too old, and I don't want to buy a new one. I had planned on using my sling a lot--getting into the back seat with new baby and dd, getting baby in the sling which is under my coat, then carrying him/her in. So, would I even need to use the cover?
For moms of more than one kid, do you suggest this way (convertable vs carrier?)--is it easier to just use the sling vs carrying a carrier when you have a 4 yr old?
I know it will be a learning curve regardless...but I'd like to limit my purchases to what I REALLY need ya know?
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos View Post
I'd like to ask a question related to this...if the OP doesn't mind...

I have one of the showercap type covers...however, I was planning on just using the convertable car seat instead of the infant carrier since our old carrier is too old, and I don't want to buy a new one. I had planned on using my sling a lot--getting into the back seat with new baby and dd, getting baby in the sling which is under my coat, then carrying him/her in. So, would I even need to use the cover?
For moms of more than one kid, do you suggest this way (convertable vs carrier?)--is it easier to just use the sling vs carrying a carrier when you have a 4 yr old?
I know it will be a learning curve regardless...but I'd like to limit my purchases to what I REALLY need ya know?
Thanks!
Bobbi, I'm only a mom to one on the outside, but the slinging that you suggest is what we did with my other winter baby. I never bought a bucket seat (I mean no disrespect with that term - it's just what we call them... a baby bucket). The straps were low enough on our convertible seat and the weight started at 5 lbs, so we just used that... still are... and have the same seat for this babe, too. I would have the baby in a warm outfit, then put on my sling and coat before leaving the house. We'd get wherever we were going, I'd get him undone in the carseat, then I'd unzip my coat, stick him in the sling, and re-zip... and that was it!

I don't think there's really a need for the cover for the convertible seat unless your car is outside or very cold. We park in a garage, so while it's still cold, it's not unbearable to put the baby in and cover it with a blanket. I'm not sure that the bucket covers would fit on a convertible, really. I was thinking of trying to make one to fit the big seat, but the realized that my son would just be pulling it off the baby anyway (they'll be right next to each other in the back seat).
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos View Post
when we used and infant seat, we never took it out of the car, and used a cosco scenera (small convertible) with #2 until he was about 6 months old. #2 was a winter baby, and we did just what you described. i had my 2yo outboard and the baby in the middle seat. first i started the car, then i put my toddler in his seat, then went around to the other side to sit in the car and buckle him and put the baby in his seat and then covered them both up. i can't imagine carrying an infant seat around with another child to care for.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM

What seat were you going to use for the baby? Not all convertibles are really built for a newborn so an infant seat is just safer, but again, it depends on your seat. If you're going to use a convertible, I would probably invest in a thin fleece snowsuit of some kind (JUST fleece and 1 layer only). You can warm the car up ahead of time when you're at home and use blankets, but when you go out to the store etc and the car gets cold, he'll need something else.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
What seat were you going to use for the baby? You can warm the car up ahead of time when you're at home and use blankets, but when you go out to the store etc and the car gets cold, he'll need something else.
We have the Evenflo Triumph (5-40lbs)...I like how solid it is--more metal than plastic it seems!

Also--our garage is detached...I won't always be able to run out there and start the car ya know? Not sure how that is gonna work...won't be fun--and I probably won't be going out much on very cold or snowy days...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM

At our prenatal classes a few weeks ago, we learned that anything fluffy that goes into a car seat (like a thick snowsuit, blanket, etc) that the baby then sits on is not safe. In fact, you can get fined and get demerit points taken off if you are caught (in Ontario apparently, but I haven't researched this). The reason for this is that in the event of an accident, the baby's weight compresses the fluffy material (like the snowsuit he/she is wearing or blanket he/she is sitting on), and loosens the harness/belts. I'm not sure how accurate the law is, but the explanation seems to make sense, so I'd just avoid it altogether...either get the bag that goes over the baby, or pile on the blankets...We're planning on blankets. Hope that helps!

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

User Tag List