A distant friend of mine!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So a distant friend of mine just had a baby girl...she weighed 8 pounds......not too sure on all the details but for the last little while everytime I seen her I asked her if she was pregnant! She kept saying no so of course I felt bad...she said she was having weight issues and medical problems....I didn't really believe it because she had a pregnant belly but there was nothing I could do....she denied it and denied it the whole time.....she drank and smoked the whole time as well....now on saturday she went to the hospital complaining of stomach pains and she was of course having her baby!! Now I just can't wrap my head around this!!! she swore up and down to everyone that she wasn't pregnant and that she took a pregnancy test a couple times and it was negative...she also says she got her period the whole time!! Is this possible?!?!?! Wouldn't she feel the baby moving!?!?! Was she just in denial?!?!? I don't know I just don't get how you wouldn't know you were pregnant!?!?!? Has this happened to anyone else!?! I am in shock by this all!! : :
#2 of 9 Old 10-16-2006, 08:33 PM

It's not unheard of , denial can be very strong.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 9 Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM

I have heard of getting a "period" for the first few months of prgnancy (when really it's probably just implantation spotting and then some first trimester spotting)

Also, haven't there been a few of those teens putting baby in a dumpster who were so deep in denial that they really truly believed the weren't/hadn't been pregnant. It's sad
#4 of 9 Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM

Someone over on my journaling site just posted that the same thing happened to her sister recently... and someone else commented that her mother didn't know she was pregnant with her until 8 months along because her period kept coming right on schedule.

One of the stories (I think the newer one) was that she was on the pill the whole time - and that makes me think something was wrong with the story. Wouldn't being on the pill for the whole pregnancy be a bad, bad deal for the baby?
#5 of 9 Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the pill really affects baby that much.

It's definitely possible to get your period the whole time, and it's also possible to have a negative pregnancy test throughout pregnancy (rare, but possible). Although if it looked like baby belly, seems like her doctor should have done more testing, like an u/s or something?

These things do happen, although it is hard to imagine. There's no way I could deny that I have a baby in my baby, when I see the big bumps out of the corner of my eye as he flip flops. Gas doesn't do that!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 9 Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 AM

A friend of my mom had this happen to her...

She never had regular periods to begin with so never thought twice about maybe being late and then continued to bleed on and off during her pregnancy...
She was a bit overweight to begin with but her body shape didn't change really at all... and she didn't feel any different (so she says)...
The weirdest parts of the whole thing was that she was trying to get pregnant and she worked as a nurse in L&D the whole time and no one could tell either... one day... she just started having cramps and a few hours later she was a mom again (she already had a son)...
This happened when I was about 10.. then when I was about 17 I asked her about it and she told me the story...

Not the same kind of story but a good friend of mine's little sister (17 yo) hid her pregnancy from the whole family last year... even though she was living with my friend and another of their sisters.... she was overweight, wore very baggy clothes and just never let anyone know... (she knew of course)
One day my friend got a call from their dad who was angry and asking why she and the other sister weren't at the hospital... My friend freaked and asked who was in the hospital and what happened and got the shock of finding out that way...
Their mother died just after the little sister got pregnant and she said that she just could never find the best time to talk about it...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#7 of 9 Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmmm....so i guess it is possible!!! I have never heard of someone getting their "period" the entire time so that is what made me think that she was lying and was just in denial!!! I still can't seem to wrap my head around all this but now all I can do is just be a friend for her and hope that her and babe do well!!
#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 PM

I have heard of women who get their "periods" thorughout pregnancy as well. But I also think that these women are probably either in denial and/or completely ignorant about their bodies as a whole.
#9 of 9 Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM

I to know someone who got pg while on bcp and continued them and only found out she was pg when she was around 7-8months when she went in for her annual pap. (my sil also got pg while on bcp and didnt know till she was 2-3 months along, baby was fine) She was taking diet meds because she thought she was just having weight issues the baby was born with major problems with her hips and legs apparently she didnt move much at all because of her position and not enough room possibly from her mom being on a diet and being small. Not sure about that tho just a guess.

I dont know if she had af thru the pg or not tho. But I do know a woman who had her regular monthy flow the whole time she was pg.

So she didnt feel like the baby was really moving more like phantom movement.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page