High Protein in Urine...and scared - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I had a MW appt. and my MW sent me over to the hospital to L&D because my blood pressure was high (148/90) and I had protein in my urine. My blood pressure has varied with the pregnancy but yesterday was the highest and the high protein is a new thing. So DH & I spent a good 7 hours in L&D while they monitored me, took more urine and blood. My 2nd urine sample still had high protein but my blood panel was normal (they were checking liver function among other things, since liver enzymes / function are impacted by pre-eclampsia). My BP was okay at the hospital (they checked it every 20 mins).

Today I've been on bed rest and doing a 24 hr. urine collection which I have to bring back to L&D tonight and have more blood drawn and be monitored for a couple of hours and have my BP taken repeatedly again.

They checked my cervix - and despite hitting the 38+ mark tomorrow - my cervix is completely closed.

I'm feeling nervous about all of this - I want both me and the babe to be healthy but I really really don't want to be induced and I really really don't want a c-section. I've been emotional all day b/c I guess I'm just really scared. My MW also doesn't want to induce at this point since my cervix really isn't ripe but she is concerned about it becoming pre-ec. or an indicator of a placental problem. I've been doing research (medical internet research can be a very bad thing) and read that high protein can be a sign of kidney problems my grandfather died of kidney failure very young so now I'm even more freaked out.

Anyhow, I'm just scared and needed to get it out. Thanks for listening and wish me well as I head over to spend another evening in L&D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM

I am so sorry... I had a similar scare a couple of weeks ago with unusually high blood pressure. I didn't have protein in my urine, but my midwives did a blood test anyway, and I bought a monitor and cuff so that I could keep track of my blood pressure a couple of times a day. I am 37 weeks and scared, too, of developing pre-eclampsia before the baby is ready to come. I would do almost anything to avoid induction... it is such a day-to-day thing. I really hope you are able to go into labor naturally!

~ Elizabeth in Alaska {mother to four born at home}

Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 AM

Oh mama! I"m sorry you're going thru this-I wish I had some information for you, but I don't know much about pre-e etc...
I will say that if you stress your body will react. If nothing else, you can stop any idea of labor all together with stress. I"ve heard of moms going to the hospital and being 8cm, then going BACK DOWN to 4cm in a stressful situation. Like animals in the wild, if stressed, our body stops labor.
So...just relax and go with it all...if your body is doing something like pre-e then the only thing you can really do is relax to help yourself.
I can't wait to hear tomorrow that you are a-ok and back on track!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Hi Baby Wink-
Ok- have to admit I have been a lurker for months on this due date club, but I feel for you and am absolutely compelled to reply!

Your BP and Proteins are very remniscent of my first pregnancy and it is the scariest thing ever! I developed signs of Pre-E at 36 weeks and then delivered at 37 weeks. The thing about Pre-e is that is really really scary because things tend to happen quickly.

Even though you really don't want a C-section or to be induced, you should absolutely not fight it- things can happen very quickly. That being said, the wonderful news it that you are 38 weeks- and your baby is going to be fine! At least this didn't develop when you were 20 weeks.

My DS is 13 mos now and I am 38 weeks along with no. 2. I know how scared you are- as I have been for the past 38 weeks that the pre-e will return. My piece of advice is that no matter how much you may want to wait and see or be compelled to fight the induction or c-section, pre-e is not something to play around with. ALSO, STOP reading about it on the internet. I have found most of the sites to be very scary and not helpful.

Good luck, and I know we will hear happy news of your babe soon!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 PM

If I were you I would start eating as much protein as possible. Early pre-e can be reversed with major intake of protein.

I would also start inserting Evening Primrose Oil capsules vaginally at bedtime (I actually started doing this myself at 36 weeks) to help soften your cervix. That said, the fact that your cervix was closed doesn't actually mean anything. You could go from closed to baby born in 24 hours. You could also be 3 cm dilated for 5 weeks. Cervix status is fairly useless information, but I would still start the EPO anyway just to help things along.

I hope this ends up being just a scare and nothing more!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List