I'm 38 weeks, dd was born right at this time so we (MW and I) were expecting me to go a little earlier this time. I really wanted a UC, DH had a hard enough time with a HB, I put my foot down on that one, so I ended up with a very laid back MW. If I have to have a MW then this is the one I want, she's been practicing for 20 years, and is very comfortable doing absolutely nothing at a birth. I have very miminal appointments, 4 since the beginning of August, and even then all she does is check my BP, feel where baby is at, and check the heart rate, that's it. Last time my BP was high because I had just met her back-up MW, who I did NOT like, so my MW just wrote down a more normal #, knowing the high # wasn't physical.
I live in a rural area, my MW does not have a good rep, she just moved here 2 years ago, and the MW's who had been practicing here for years haven't been welcoming in the least. She doesn't have many clients, so to make ends met she took a job at a hospital an hour and 15 minutes from me. She works nights 3 times a week, there are about 15 hours on each of those days, not counting drive time, that she is unavailable to me. I knew this before, so my MW and I sat down and tried to figure out a time period where baby was likely to be born, and she takes off from work, it has worked in the past for her. Well, it looked like it was going to work, and then I got sick.
: She goes back to work on Sat, and I'm just finally feeling better today, after 7 days of a cold. My body has been nothing during all of this, all my cramping, discharge, even BH's stopped, so I know it's not ready to have a baby yet. But I know my body will start gearing up again, and my MW works, Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed, and Thursday.
She has a back-up MW that could come if my MW is at work, she is not waht I want. Definately a medwife vs a MW, my MW hates to use her but really has no other option. I do not want this MW at my birth, I'd much, much rather go the UC route last minute then call her. But then I have DH to deal with, he would freak out and call 911, not exactly what I want. He already told me the other day that he was going to let our next-door neighbor know when I go into labor, our neighbor is one of our main guys on our volunteer ambulance. Yep, our area is so rural that all 911 calls, from fire to car crashes, are handled by volunteers. I guess our neighbor told DH that he could make sure there was people and an ambulance ready. I got just a little pissy over that.
This is my DH, no matter how much I talk to him about the safety of HB, we've been discussing this for almost 4 years now, it's nothing new, he stresses out about everything. He is one of those very nervous people that always thinks the worst.
I won't do anything to get my body going again, baby will appear when it's ready. I'm just frustrated that I'm in this situation. I have no one vent to, DH of course doesn't understand, he doesn't get why I had to use this MW rather then one of the medwives in my area that are always around. Maybe everything will work out, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that baby decides to appear very soon, or wait over a week until my MW has a couple days off.