Dull lower back pain? Could it be a sign that labor is coming? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night, for the first time, I got sharp shooting pains down my butt cheeks. It would start in the center of my lower back and radiate down my butt cheek???? Now today, I have had a dull cramping all the way across my lower back.... almost like period cramps.... but in the back. Also some cramping in the front. Is it possible that labor is nearing? This baby has been so low the entire pregnancy, but now he's even lower!!! For the first time last night since the beginning of my 3rd trimester I didn't wake up with rib pain. What do you mommas think???? My dh works out of town M-F and I'm terrified of going into labor without him...
Sorry, btw, I am 36 weeks tomorrow and at my last exam my OB said my cervix is softening and has moved forward.
#2 of 4 Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM

I'm probably not much help as I'm a first-timer here, but I felt a pain similar to yours. I described it as "baby moving down my spine". I think my pain was the baby dropping. The next day I had several women tell me that they could tell I had dropped, and it was confirmed with my last midwife appointment.

Anyway, maybe it is the baby dropping.
#3 of 4 Old 11-01-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

That was what I was thinking.... that maybe it's just the baby moving down. Anyway, I've felt really bad the last couple of days... nausea, frequent trips to the bathroom (not to pee: ) and then the lower back pain accompanied by menstrual-like cramps in my lower abdomen. I'm really not expecting to go up to my due date. It's not like this is my first, but it's been so long since I've had a "normal" pregnancy (15 yrs) that I don't remember what going into labor or your body preparing for labor feels like.
#4 of 4 Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM

I had back cramps that felt like period cramps for about 5 days. On and Off.
I haven't had any today yet. But I know they would come on after i would pee. So i think my full bladder would push the baby up and then when I emptied it the baby would move its head back down. Sooo I kept thinking it was pre-labor. but nopers.
I also get what i call "cervical zingers" where the baby is like pressing down and it feels like its gonna reach its hand out. Those can be uncomfortable.
Hang in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page