My doctor is trying to scare me into a c-section!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am soooo upset! This is sort of a long vent so I apologize in advance.
I had an OB appt yesterday and I am so upset now because of the way it went.
A little history first.... My first birth was vaginal... no complications whatsoever... pushed 3x and she was out! My last Birth (two years ago) was a medically necessary c-section. Our daughter had Down Syndrome and was dying inside... she was breech and I had zero fluid. She ended up passing less than two days after birth. This time around... healthy baby boy, text book pregnancy.... absolutely NO REASON for another c-section.

Ok, with that said, my entire pregnancy, I have told my OB that I want to vbac.... he has "acted" like he was completely supportive the entire time. Now that it's down to the wire, he is trying to make me change my mind. For the last three dr. appts in a row, he's made remarks about my vbac. First he tried saying that the hospital was giving him flack about doing a vbac... which is a bunch of sh!! because I called to ask if they were opposed to vbac'ing mommas. They said "no"... "we do them all of the time"....: Then he tried using a scare tactic on me yesterday. Telling me of a story about another couple in his practice who had trouble conceiving and ended up finally thru IVF... he said the mother is so worried that she told him, "I'm not risking my baby's brain doing a vaginal delivery after all the trouble we've had conceiving". I said to my doc.... I don't understand how that would "affect" her baby's brain.... he said, "well she's worried that during labor the lack of oxygen a baby gets could cause her baby to have Cerebral Palsy". I looked at him and said, "well, I'm sorry but she doesn't sound too bright... vaginal birth is the way nature intended it. And hopefully you would be able to detect a problem occurring before that took place." Once again, one of his scare tactics!!!! I doubt he even HAS a patient where that conversation took place. The bottom line is that he wants me to have a c-section because it's convenient for HIM... !!!
I'm sorry but I'm not going thru weeks of excruciating pain for him to make his money in 30 minutes and not have to actually work for it!!! I am standing my ground.... I don't care what he says or wants!!! I am so pissed and now I'm concerned he's going to try to do something at the hospital to force me. Well thanks for letting me vent... I'm dropping him right after this birth!!!
#2 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Can you drop him before the birth? I worry that you might not want to fight his fears/wishes while you are birthing.

You are strong! You can do it!
#3 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Wow someone has been cloning Dr Duck. All he's saying is quackquackquack

My advice: Preciptious labour.
#4 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM

That's horrific and appaling! What an evil, sneaky man...how dare he try to terrify you with stories like that, especially after what you've been through! ARGH, this makes me furious! I'm going to express my rage using a few emoticons, because I just can't belive what he said.

So now what? What do you think you can do about this a**hole? I don't have any advice, but I sure have felt your disappointment, frustration, loss of trust, feeling the need to be defensive, fear, and rage with doctors. It sucks. I can see this really affecting how you feel about your upcoming birth. Can you rely on your support person/people to advocate for you and be firm?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#5 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 PM

Oh Mama!! Make sure you know your EMTALA rights. You can NOT be forced into a c-section against yor will.
#6 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 PM

I freakin hate scare tactics. They are so low. It's so late in the game but if it's at all possible I'd switch obs. The only thing worse than scare tactics is scare tactics while your in labor and it seems this ob would pull that crap on you. Good luck and I am sending you many VBAC vibes!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM

Did you call him on talking to the hospital and knowing that he's full of crap?

What a jerk!
#8 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 PM

hugs sweetie! I wouldn't let him pressure you into making you have another c section. There has been many women who have been able to have a successful vbac with no complications. Hugs, doctors can be pains in the rear sometimes.
#9 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 PM

Saw this thread from the main page. Just had to say that I *love* the "well, I'm sorry but that woman isn't very bright" line. It's such a good response to any kind of "this other person did it, so why don't you?" comment.
#10 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Is there another OB in his preactice that is at minimum better? Or can you call, or visit, the midwives at the hospital, and very politely but professionally explain your situation and see if they have any "unofficial" recommendations for another OB that practices at the hospital? At minimum, get yourself a doula - and fast. Argueing with him now is fine, but who wants, or is even capable, of being able to do it in between contractions?
#11 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Stand your ground, he can't force you to have a section. I hope you have a good support system to help you through this.
#12 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
At minimum, get yourself a doula - and fast. Argueing with him now is fine, but who wants, or is even capable, of being able to do it in between contractions?
:

Student doulas are cheap, too.
Best of luck, mama. Stand your ground!
#13 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Gosh, that's awful. Is there another doc in the practice who will do v-bac? I'd drop him TODAY... you deserve better. And I would tell hospital administration what he's saying to you- doesn't sound very professional at all.

Meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#14 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there another OB in his preactice that is at minimum better? Or can you call, or visit, the midwives at the hospital, and very politely but professionally explain your situation and see if they have any "unofficial" recommendations for another OB that practices at the hospital? At minimum, get yourself a doula - and fast. Argueing with him now is fine, but who wants, or is even capable, of being able to do it in between contractions?

Unfortunately he is the only doctor in his practice . I would go for a midwife except our insurance doesn't cover one. I did however just get off of the phone with the hospital and anonymously gave them the down low on my situation. They informed me that the only thing the hospital requires if vbac'ing is that I HAVE to have an internal monitor. Which means laboring on my back the entire time. Unfortunately, I have to go in for a scheduled induction on the 20th because I am doing the vbac. The hospital requires that an anesthesiologist be present the entire time in the event that uterine rupture takes place.... so for the anesthesiologists convenience....: .... I have to go in for a scheduled induction. I am so sad over all of this.... I just want to break down and cry!!!!!: But I know if I do, that last little bit of strength I've been holding on to thru all of this will be gone. Thank you so much for all the care you mommas are showing, it really does help. I'm going to try my hardest not to let all of this ruin the beautiful birth I had pictured. Instead, now I will look like robotica with tubes coming out of every hole.... Fortunately, my dh and his mom will be in there with me and they are both extremely head strong, so in the event they try to railroad me into a c-section, they will be my voice of reason. Please pray for baby and me that all goes well and I will get my vbac despite all of this.
#15 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM

I'm no expert on VBACs but doesn't being induced increase the chance of uterine rupture? I'm not you and of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with but I would not show up for the induction and not go to the hospital until I was well into active labor. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep sending you wonderful VBAC vibes!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#16 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
I'm no expert on VBACs but doesn't being induced increase the chance of uterine rupture? I'm not you and of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with but I would not show up for the induction and not go to the hospital until I was well into active labor. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep sending you wonderful VBAC vibes!!
: I would do the same.... and you can also decline the internal monitor...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#17 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM

NO NO NO NO NO INDUCTIONS FOR VBACS!!!!!!!: : :

They are setting you up for a possible disaster!

If I was in your shoes, I would show up in active labor and refuse to sign any consent forms.
#18 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
You are absolutely correct. That was my point as well. I told them I felt as though I were being set up for failure. They assured me that I would be started out on very low doses of pitocin. Just enough to kick start labor. I've been thinking for a couple of days now, that maybe I should try to do something naturally to induce. My reasoning for this is that I'm afraid I won't "progress" as quickly as they would like for me to, you know, like by the time they're supposed to break for lunch or something...: , and then try to use that as leverage for a csec. I want to ensure my cervix is nice and ripe, ready for induction and won't need much pitocin to get it started....????? I don't know... just thinking out loud. It's just ridiculous that I'm even having to go thru this right now. I plan on telling everyone I know about what's going on. Just to get the word out there.
#20 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 PM

WTF!!! Induction with gels and pit increases rupture!
An internal monitor means they will break your waters, which means you will be forced on a 24 hour til birth schedule, due to fear of infection. Every single sentence you wrote was screaming cesarean. They are preping you, 120%.

Absolutely do not show up for the appointment, any appointment. Come into the hospital (if you must) when you are 9cm and pushing. They can not "fire" you for not showing up, after 37 weeks (can another american confirm this?)

Is homebirth an option for you? It doesn't matter if your insurance doesn't cover a midwife. Hire one. Take out a loan or barter for her services. Can you swich to a birthing center, or at least a vbac friendly hospital? I mean, this one sounds like the worst of the worst. I am probably going to get flammed a lot for the following comment, but if it were me, in that horrid enviornment, I'd forget all of it and just plan a cesarean, because that is what you are going to get anyway. The warning signs are everywhere. So sorry momma. Please consider other options.
#21 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am probably going to get flammed a lot for the following comment, but if it were me, in that horrid enviornment, I'd forget all of it and just plan a cesarean, because that is what you are going to get anyway. The warning signs are everywhere. So sorry momma. Please consider other options.
I agree with you 100%. That is why I'm so upset over everything. And in all honesty I HAVE debated whether I should just throw in the towel and give them what they want.... but this is MY birth and if I have to be the ground breaker around here, then so be it. They are NOT going to force me into a c-section if I don't need one. If my baby is in distress, then that's another story.... but I know enough to know the difference between a few decels and actual "distress". The more I think about the way they are trying to push me around... the madder I'm getting. I feel sorry for the person answering the phone at my doctor's office Monday morning because they're going to be the one catching the brunt of this frustration that's going to brew all weekend.
#22 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 PM

I have to agree with the assertion that you should not show up for their scheduled induction or any appointments until you are in labor on your own.
Being induced greatly increases your risk for uterine rupture and c section for "failure to progress".
Please do not assume that because you are a vbac that you have to follow their rules.
#23 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Did you give birth in this hospital before? If not, then why not just drop your doc, wait until labor starts and walk in there and NEVER MENTION you had a c-section previously. If you did give birth there before and therefore they already have records on you, could you go to another hospital in town?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#24 of 45 Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well, mommas, I am leaving work now and I don't have a computer at home right now so I won't be able to post anymore until Monday... but I plan on calling my doctor's office bright and early Monday morning as I said earlier and getting everything laid out in the open. I will definitely keep you posted and let you know how the conversation unfolds. Hope you all have a great weekend.
#25 of 45 Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 AM

Gosh mama...
I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I have a friend who VBACed at home...a long labor, but it was beautiful and wonderful and empowering. Her body was able to do it. I wish hospitals/OBs etc could believe in women's bodies more. I can't believe the word INDUCE was even mentioned to you. Could you bring in some literature on how dangerous that is?
I agree with the other posters--don't go in until you are crowning. Have faith--your body has a more likely chance of rupturing AT the hospital with their policies, than it does at home in your own space!!!!
Good luck mama...I feel for you sweetie!
#26 of 45 Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 PM

I had an internal monitor during my labor with DS and was not confined to bed-- in fact, that's why they put the internal monitor on, so I could get up and move around more freely than I could with the external monitors strapped to my belly. I walked, labored on the birthing ball, etc.

Not that that solves anything, because it sounds like you have a LOT of other issues to get through with this doc : , but just wanted to put that out there as yet another thing that's paving your road to the OR.

Good luck, I hope you're able to get your VBAC.
#27 of 45 Old 11-11-2006, 07:09 PM

Chiming in late to wish you luck. I agree with other mamas here that you should absolutely not agree to be induced as it increases the risk of uterine rupture (prostoglandins moreso than pitocin, but I still don't know anhy provider who would induce at all.). If you need some articles, I'd be happy look some up for you - the VBAC board on MDC would also be a great resource for articles to bring to your docs.

Stay strong!!
#28 of 45 Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you mommas for the support you've given. It means so much to me to be a member of this board. I did speak to my OB's office this morning and was assured by the staff that my doctor will not do anything during my labor out of convenience for himself. They also told me that I was the one in control of my body and that I could refuse any treatement I didn't want. I already knew that, but hearing them say it made me feel better. I have decided that I am going to refuse the internal monitor and they can monitor the baby from time to time with the external monitor. Apparently their reasoning for the internal monitor is because I am being induced with pitocin and it causes stronger contractions. Unfortunately, I have to be induced because it's the hospital's policy when you're vbac'ing. They require an anesthesiologist to be present the entire time I am laboring and delivering should the unthinkable happen and my uterus ruptures. In a perfect world, he would just show up when I went into labor and stay until the baby was born, but apparently they are prima donnas who want a schedule adhered to. I had to pre-register a couple of weeks ago and so they already know that I've had a previous c-section AND this is the only hospital I can go to.... . What I have come up with is this.... now whether it works or not is another story, but keep your fingers crossed. DH and I are going to try EVERYTHING from sex, nipple stimulation, castor oil on the abdomen etc.... to coax labor on itself. If I can show up at the hospital already in labor.... voila, no pitocin needed.... if not, then it looks like I'm just going to have to make the best of a tough situation. I just keep telling myself that as long as the baby is healthy that's all that matters. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think since my OB's office has stated that he'll straighten the L&D nurses out prior to my getting there. Keep me and little one in your prayers. Good luck to all of you mommas that are still waiting for your bundle of joy and congrats to those of you who have had them already.
#29 of 45 Old 11-13-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful1 View Post
They also told me that I was the one in control of my body and that I could refuse any treatement I didn't want. .... Unfortunately, I have to be induced because it's the hospital's policy when you're vbac'ing. ..... I had to pre-register a couple of weeks ago and so they already know that I've had a previous c-section AND this is the only hospital I can go to....
This makes absolutely no sense. No sense whatsoever. If you can refuse any treatment (and you can) then you can refuse the pitocin.

Also, it makes no sense that this is policy after a section. This is exactly what should be policy after a section: NO Pitocin. Pit causes an INCREASE in uterine rupture, not a decrease!

And you pre-registered a couple of weeks ago? This also makes no sense, because back then (and even today) they do not know if your cervix is ripe or not. If it isn't ripe and you are given pit, then how can you birth? You will have strong contractions on a hard or closed cervix? Then you will need cervical gels (which also increase chance of rupture) to ripen and soften your cervix before you get the Pit, not afterwards!

You can refuse any treatment. That means refuse the induction. Do not show up.

You might say, it is hard to refuse. It is not as hard as you might think. I am in your boat, VBAC. I had a scan today, 2 days before EDD, to show babys size and position. I refused the scan, saying it was an inaccurate measure for size, the babys head can still move into a different position, my pelvis will open in labor so its size now is meaningless and the only purpose it serves is to make the Doc nervous about my ability to birth after cesarean. Instead of a fight, the staff respected my calm, rational comments and the scan was cancelled. Yes it can be done, and usually without a big scene. If confrontation is really an issue for you, have DH or someone else do it with you. Or refuse to show up. They can not cancel your care at this late stage.

(As a seperate, side note, I am sure you do not have the time for this right now, but I would actually report the hospital for having a pit required after cesarean, when the opposite is called for. Where I am pit is not allowed for previous cesarean, even in low dose.)
#30 of 45 Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. No sense whatsoever. If you can refuse any treatment (and you can) then you can refuse the pitocin.

Also, it makes no sense that this is policy after a section. This is exactly what should be policy after a section: NO Pitocin. Pit causes an INCREASE in uterine rupture, not a decrease!

And you pre-registered a couple of weeks ago? This also makes no sense, because back then (and even today) they do not know if your cervix is ripe or not. If it isn't ripe and you are given pit, then how can you birth? You will have strong contractions on a hard or closed cervix? Then you will need cervical gels (which also increase chance of rupture) to ripen and soften your cervix before you get the Pit, not afterwards!

You can refuse any treatment. That means refuse the induction. Do not show up.
I agree... the pitocin makes no sense at all and is exactly what you don't want in order to decrease your risks of a rupture...
That is not only a weird policy but very scary... even in women that are not VBACing uterine rupture is one of the risks of pitocin so having it in a VBAC is so dangerous!!

I do understand the pre-register though... many hospitals do that so that when you go in in labour you don't have to fill anything out because it is already done before, it doesn't mean anything of what they do, it just gives them the info they need... the midwifes that I had asked the moms to do this too in case of a transfer... I didn't do it however but it is something that many hospitals and birthing centres propose...

Rachel.... You do NOT have to do the induction... it is putting your life and health in danger just for their convenience... what if you went into labour on your own... would they try to stop it because the anaesthesiologist cannot be present the whole time or wouldn't they just call him in?

This is really just a question of their convenience and total disregard of your health...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page