separating the membranes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, so I am 40w1d and 80% effaced, 4 cm dilated, and baby is totally engaged at 0 station... my mw suggested separating the membranes to get things going, something she apparently did at 39w5d with me last time, but I have no recollection of it.... I had dd at 40w3d, but with the aid of castor oil (it worked, but was unpleasant and I would not recommend it). Anyway, getting through this week seems harder than labor at this point, because I have no child care for various reasons, and because it is soooooo difficult for me to take care of myself and dd at this point - I am a big pregnant mess.... and to top it off, if I don't give birth by tomorrow night, a woman who is supposed to be at the birth, and who is like a second mother to me and was there when I was born, won't be able to be there at all.... So anyway, I was just wondering what the general opinion was on separating the membranes, and if there are any risks? So far, everything I've read indicates no risk, just pain... has anyone done it? (I mean, I did it, but it doesn't count if I don't remember it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM

emily, i don't know anything about separating the membranes but i am 40w4days and still no sign of baby. i am at 2.5 cm so at least your a little farther along than i am. i went to doc yesterday and he massaged my cervix to see if that would help things a long. the only thing i have noticed since he did it was more mucus but still not bloody mucus just the norm. i really hope that things happen for you so that your friend can be there with you. i am planning a having a hospital birth but my ob hasn't ever said anything to me about separating my membranes so i'm not really sure if it would be a risk or not. i hope you get some answers soon.
#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 PM

It has about a 50% chance of starting labor--works by increasing prostoglandins. Aside from being uncomfortable, there is some risk of accidentally rupturing the membranes, and there is some increased risk of infection, especially if you're group b strep positive.

My doctor stripped my membranes more than once in both of my previous pregnancies. I didn't even know that's what he was doing. This pg I'm group b strep positive and asked him specifically not to, and the exams are much more comfortable now, so that's definitely what he was doing before.

I didn't have my baby immediately after membrane stripping, but I had my baby before my due date with those pregnancies, and here I am 10 days past my due date and no baby this time, so I think the membrane stripping did speed things up.

I know some people really have a problem with membrane stripping, but it does seem to be one of the lower risk induction methods. If I didn't have group b strep, I would be okay with my doctor doing it (especially this far along in the game!), although I'm not okay with him doing it without discussing it with me first.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#4 of 7 Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 AM

Personally, I wouldn't let any one mess with mine because I let them do that with dd and then my water broke the next day--I have since done some 'research' and have found that having your water left intact is 'easier' on mom and baby--mom doesn't have a head trying to punch thru a cervix--the bag adds some 'cushion'...and the baby handles the contrax better--the pressure is dissapated more evenly around the baby so no one area is squished more than another.
JMHO--I HOPE my water doesn't break!!
#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 AM

PS--before a sweep or caster oil, I'd try sex, Evening Primrose Oil (inserted) and walking/squatting, and a glass of wine (and some meditation)to relax first...

Good luck mama!
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 PM

I know the wait is hard... but let your body do this naturally! IMO, anyway- but I'm a big believer in some of the 'at home' methods Mrs. Hos suggested and just w-a-i-t-i-n-g. Rent some videos and start a couch fest with dd. Order pizza.

It sounds like sweeping is one of the less invasive measures, but if you can hold on I'd try that. My feeling is if it works, great- but what happens if it doesn't? That can be a slippery slope....

Good luck!

PS: Mrs. Hos- my dd was born with her bag of waters intact- THAT was 'more comfortable?!!' It is pretty neat to see her floating in her bag (I had a water birth).

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 AM

Meg--I will be having a water birth, and I HOPE I have a baby floating in his/her bag!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page