My baby is in the hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Zeben was admitted to the Children's hospital last night. He has been breathing too quickly (80-100 breaths per minute), but we don't know why (no infection). I'm so worried, and it's so hard to be back in a hospital after having been home in our nest for a few days. They won't give us a regular hospital bed, so Zeb and I are sleeping on this little fold-out chair (there's a horrible crib cage for the baby that I would never put him in). But, mostly we're not sleeping at all (at least I'm not) because it's so hard to sleep in hospitals, and we don't have a private room.

I am really missing my big boys and feel so badly about being away from them again. They were so sad to see us take their baby away.

Anyway, please send "breathe slowly" vibes to Zeb. . . I don't know how much more of this my fragile postpartum emotions can take!

I hope the rest of your babymoons are going better than ours.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 04:07 PM

oh sweetie, sending breathe easy vibes your way! hope all is well and you are home soon.
#3 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Do you have a wrap or a mei tai? You can tie him on to you while you two sleep. My 2nd ds was admitted to the hospital when he was 5 days old.

Get some good food, a shower, and sleep as much as you can.
#4 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 PM

Many many breath slower vibes to Zeben!! I can only imagine how stressed you are right now, I'm sorry. I hope you can take him home soon with a clean bill of health! I will be thinking about your sweet Zeben (you too).
Take care.

Heather

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#5 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 04:38 PM

Crashing your ddc because I was in a similar situation in June. What kind of tests have they done? My daughter ended up having a minor congenital heart defect that fixed itself by 6 weeks. But when she was born the shunting (through a hole in her ventricle) was putting strain on her lungs and causing her to breathe rapidly. They found her problem with a chest xray and a detailed echocardiogram. She also had a loud murmur from birth.

A disorder called transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN) is fairly common and usually goes away on its own. That's another possibility.

I'm glad there's no sign of infection. I hope they find out what's going on and you two can go home soon. Lots of and even though we just met my PM box is open for you if you need to vent or ask questions. I'll do my best to help.
#6 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 05:38 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that you're in the hospital. Breathe slow baby, hopefully you'll be home soon.
#7 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 PM

in and out, in and out, in and out - slowly little one
#8 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Healing vibes to baby Zeben. Hang in there, Mama.

Is there any way you can get someone to help you out with the sleeping situation? Maybe a kind LC who has some pull there?
#9 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 06:16 PM

oh man, how scary! tons of breathe slowly vibes to baby zeb and calming vibes to you mama.

when lilah was born she had some issues with fast breathing in the first few days. hers turned out to be nothing at all and went away on its own.

i hope you guys are home again very soon.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#10 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 PM

and hope Zeben gets well soon!
So sorry you are having to stay in the hospital. Hope your stay ends asap.
Erica
#11 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Hoping you and your baby are home soon.
*Sending breathing slowly vibes*
#12 of 87 Old 11-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Poor Little man. That's got to be rough, mama. Hang in there! Hope he's doing better soon.

~Karri
#13 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Just sending your whole family love...please update when you can.

#14 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 03:28 PM

AHHH hon!

I hope he just had a mild case of whatever it was. I'm sending healing vibes!

#15 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 06:22 PM

I'm so sorry to hear he's in the hospital. Sending healing vibes and love your way.
#16 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 06:52 PM

I'm not in your DDC, but couldn't read and not respond, of course. Just sending your little one a lot of healing vibes and you some prayers for continuing strength as you go through a tough time as a mama. Thinking of you guys
#17 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 06:55 PM

any news?
#18 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 06:59 PM

also crashing your ddc

my dd is always tachypnic because she has low muscle tone. she spent 5 days in the NICU just because of this, even though her heart rate and oxygen saturation levels were always normal.

re: the crib cage, can't they take the cage part off? usually that is for babies who can stand up, because parents don't always stay with their children so if no one's watching, they could fall out. but in the children's hosptial dd had surgery in, you could take the top part off and it would be a normal crib. I mean obviously it's better to be held all the time but in case you want one they should do that for you, or at least give you a bassinett from the nicu or something. Are there any other symptoms?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#19 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 07:40 PM

I hope Zeben comes home healthy very soon!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#20 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much.

We are home from the hospital as of this evening. Unfortunately, we still don't have any answers. The doctors had a few different theories, but all of the tests came back normal. The only thing abnormal is how very fast Zeben is breathing. So, they sent us home with a lot of "I don't knows," but basically we are just hoping that he continues to thrive otherwise (he weighs 11.5 pounds now at 10 days old!) and that eventually his breathing will slow down. We are going to be looking into some alternative therapies to see if any non-western practicioners have any ideas (Zeb has already had some cranial sacral work done and a visit to the chiro).

The hospital was so horrible. I think it will take me 2 years to recover from the 2 days we spent there. I had to hold my baby down for some pretty horrible procedures. He screamed and screamed. I really hope we don't have to go back there.

Now that we are home, he seems a lot better. He's still breathing really fast, but he seems more present and alert and calm. He had his longest "quiet alert" time ever while the big boys played next to him on the rug. I think he is nursing better here too. It will be so good to sleep in our bed tonight!

Thanks again for your support, mamas. It does help to know that people are out there hoping for us.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#21 of 87 Old 11-24-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I had to hold my baby down for some pretty horrible procedures. He screamed and screamed. I really hope we don't have to go back there.
That is the worst . Glad you are both home now and doing okay.
#22 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 05:46 AM

I'm so glad you are home. I'm sorry they couldn't give you any answers though. I hope that he continues to do ok except for the rapid breathing. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
#23 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 01:33 PM

I feel so bad that I haven't been replying to people here, though I have been reading what is posted. I get so tired of one-handed typing (which I'm sure others understand).

I've been praying for you and little Zeb. I'm so glad you guys are home. If it makes you feel any better, your post had me concerned enough to call my own doctor because Mikaela has been having spells of really fast breathing that I couldn't get her to slow down, either (putting her to my chest to hear my breathing, shushing her in her ear, rubing her back, etc). My doctor said that it is perfectly normal - that newborns are still trying to figure out the whole breathing thing on their own, and as long as they aren't gasping, they're eating and out-puting well, the best thing to do is just watch them and know it's probably normal. I hope the same thing is true for Zeb.

And know I'll still be keeping you guys in prayer...
#24 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 PM

#25 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Crashing your ddc because I was in a similar situation in June. What kind of tests have they done? My daughter ended up having a minor congenital heart defect that fixed itself by 6 weeks. But when she was born the shunting (through a hole in her ventricle) was putting strain on her lungs and causing her to breathe rapidly. They found her problem with a chest xray and a detailed echocardiogram. She also had a loud murmur from birth.

A disorder called transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN) is fairly common and usually goes away on its own. That's another possibility.
NAK

I think this is what my dd has - we were at the hospital last night, but they didn't admit her because she's otherwise so healthy. we have an appt with the cardiologist next week...
#26 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 05:20 PM

I'm so glad you are home now but sorry you didn't get any anwsers.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#27 of 87 Old 11-25-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancat View Post
NAK

I think this is what my dd has - we were at the hospital last night, but they didn't admit her because she's otherwise so healthy. we have an appt with the cardiologist next week...
Her diagnosis was a ventrical septal defect...I don't want to hijack this mama's thread so if you want to chat please do PM me. I did a lot of reading and could probably help you find info if you need it, or otherwise lend support.
#28 of 87 Old 11-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Oh honey. Thinking of you and baby Z.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#29 of 87 Old 11-26-2006, 12:45 AM

Sending you and baby lots of good thoughts.

My friend's baby had the rapid breathing for a couple of weeks. She was a water baby and the thought was that she may have aspirated a bit into her lungs because her head was stuck out for a long time under water before she was born fully. My friend took her for xrays and other tests, and nothing was ever found. She's a healthy 6 month old now. I hope Zeb also just grows out of it, whatever it is. Good for you for holding him in the hospital.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#30 of 87 Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 AM

So glad you're home, so sorry you're having to deal with this. (Looks like you're getting a modpile of hugs )

Breathe healthy, little one

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page