Talia Lily's birth story - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
One Art's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the journey
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So now that she is 9 days old and I am getting more into the swing of life with two daughters I will attempt to write Talia Lily's birth story...

on wed., nov. 15th, I had been having regular contractions from about 7:30 pm until 10 or so when I was going to bed and finally noticed them... I told dh, but told him they weren't really very strong, but he wanted to call my mom (and my midwife) right away, so I didn't argue with him. She came over to check me and I had dilated to 6 cm (from my 4 cm that I had already been for a week). So she called the other midwife, my sister, and another woman who were going to be at the birth. They came an hour later and set up and filled the pool, got all the equipment out, etc, and dh went outside to chop wood... the contractions were fairly regular, but not painful at all, and I was getting really irritated by all the people in my small living room, dh being outside, and the possibility that with all the noise dd might wake up... so they all went away and I had a little break down and got upset with dh for not being with me and helping me deal with all of them... (I can laugh about it now at least) anyway, the contractions seemed to get a little more intense after a while but were pretty irregular... my midwife suggested (over the phone) that I try hands and knees (baby was posterior) and nipple stimulation to get things moving more. So I tried that for about an hour but on stopping it seemed like things kind of fizzled out... by this time it was about 5 or so in the morning, so we went to bed. Dh got up with dd at 7:30 (nov. 16th) and had her go spend the day with his mom, and came back to bed... of course he had to explain why the equipment and pool were all out in the living room, so she had a hard time leaving, though he promised she'd be there to see the baby being born.... we slept, I took a bath to relieve my aching, and we slept some more, and then I got up determined to get things going if I could, because my midwife said I could easily stay 6 cm for up to three days, and though I was tired from such little sleep I felt like I would be more tired in three days from just pure insomnia and impatience.... so I told her that, and intended to try sex to start things up, but my midwife ended up getting me a homeopathic remedy and stripping my membranes (around 3 pm). A little while later I started having uncomfortable contractions, though irregular.... I was still 6 cm, but stretchy to 7 and 95 % effaced, so all the women were again called (with the exception of one, who had to leave for a trip).... things kind of just stayed the same all that evening... I tried walking, more nipple stim, and though the contractions did get a lot stronger, I wasn't dilating any further, so finally, at around 9:30 pm (dd was back home and in bed at this point) both my midwives said they felt that I should have my water broken.... this freaked me out, because nothing is a guarantee, and I really didn't want to end up in the hospital... their concern was the opposite - that I would end up in the hospital from sheer exhaustion. I went for a walk with dh to talk it out, and my contractions were noticeably fewer and much less intense (earlier in the evening we'd gone for a walk and I had to stop and lean on him during a contraction... it wasn't the case this time). When we got back we talked it over some more with my midwives and agreed that I would try to sleep for a while but that if I couldn't sleep after an hour to call them and they would come break my water bag.... I was really exhausted at this point and felt like it would be no trouble to sleep, but when I went to bed I couldn't sleep because of the new anxiety about breaking my water! So after an hour we called, but by then my contractions had stopped completely... my midwife didn't think breaking my water was a good idea if I wasn't contracting anymore, so she told me to get in the pool and then try to sleep. I did this, ending up going to bed at around 1 am, nov. 17th. At around 5:30 am, I woke up with a really really intense contraction and got up to go to the bathroom. Dh followed me, and I had another one, and then another... I said, this is it, call my mom.... so he called, and she said to time a few more... they came about 5 minutes apart, and were increasing in intensity.... almost an hour passed, and I was on my hands and knees on the couch, head pressed into dh's shoulder, vocalizing pretty loudly to cope... at this point I said call my mom and tell her to come NOW! everyone came about 5 minutes later and I was 7 cm, completely effaced... I got in the pool, which was too cool (but not to me), so my mom said if I wanted to have the baby in the pool they'd have to empty some water out and refill with hot.... so they hauled buckets back and forth while I moaned, and sometime after 7, my mom told my sister to wake dd up.... dd came out and watched, at one point she put her face directly across from mine from the outside of the pool, inches away from my face (I was in the pool on hands and knees, arms around dh who was sitting with back to pool, hands around me massaging my lower back, with my head over dh's shoulder, resting my chin on edge of pool) while I vocalized really loudly.... she stayed there through the entire contraction, just watching my face!!! and later, during the pushing phase, and in between contractions, I heard her say, "mama's tired" in a really soft, sweet voice! Anyway, I felt my bag of water break with a big pop and rush (thank god it had still been intact!!!) and a little while later (14 minutes of pushing altogether), Talia Lily was born, at 7:56 am. She was blue when she came out but revived quickly, and because the pool filled with blood and the cord was hardly pulsing, my mom thinks my placenta must have partially separated when I pushed her out. So we had a very scary first minute that felt like an eternity, but then she was pink, cried once and soon was sucking at my breast like a champ! She weighed 8 lbs, 10 oz., and was 20.5 inches long.... and now I can't believe she is already 9 days old! I am sleeping much better with her than I did with dd#1, which is great news... and dd#1 is adapting still.... she's had a few break downs, crying about things, and I expect that when dh goes back to work we'll have some more adjusting to do, but she is very sweet towards Talia, and loves to kiss and pet her.... I am very happy, and so far our babymoon has been wonderful! Everyone was shocked that she was a girl, most people were so "sure" she was a boy!
One Art is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
katie-p-'s Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Hub
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations! You worked really hard and I'm glad you're all doing good
katie-p- is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2006, 11:36 PM
grypx831's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Crazyville
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! I love her name!
grypx831 is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM
beanamama's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your story!
Congratulations! Welcome baby Talia!
beanamama is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
averil rose's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love her name. Congratulations!

~ Elizabeth {no longer} in Alaska {mother to five born at home}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
averil rose is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 18,417

34 members and 18,383 guests
Averiesmomma17 , bananabee , Bow , Deborah , Dovenoir , dovergirl , easydoesit , Elia E. Villalobos , emmy526 , girlspn , greenemami , happy-mama , hillymum , IsaFrench , kathymuggle , lhargrave89 , Mirzam , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , pokeyac , profe , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , sciencemum , Shmootzi , sren , superficial1 , TheChainedAngel , Tormereva12 , worthy , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.