My baby has a cold and she's only 3 weeks old! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2006, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sucks!!! The weather is so cold here. It is -35 degrees celsius.
We had an extremely busy weekend between baby showers and surprise birthday partys. We went outside in the cold and then back into the warm. I wonder if that is why my dd has a cold. She has a stuffy nose but it runs when she sneezes. She breathes soooo noisily.
I feel horrible for her. Is there anything I can do to comfort her more?
Has anyone elses baby had a cold at THAT young of an age??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 01:44 AM

Mine did too - and I was surprised because I was breastfeeding (and still am at 15 mos).

We used the nasal aspirator, but had to have a session with our ped to learn how to use it properly! Stick it in the nostril straight back, NOT up the nose, while you're squeezing the bulb, then release the bulb and it should suck out the "stuffies." Repeat. You may have to gently hold her head. You can use breastmilk as nasal drops first - that will help loosen the stuffies and get some good antibodies in there too. I use a nasal dropper for that.

By the way, we call our aspirator the blue bulb and my dd, 15 mos, has had a round of colds this fall. She points at it, says "blue bulb, blue bulb" and sticks her finger in her nose and snuffs when she sees it! Point being, you'll probably be using it more than once.

Also a humidifier and keeping her slightly elevated at night might help.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
Yah we have one of the nasal aspirators. The nurses gave it to us when we went home becuz she was pretty mucousy in hospital and for a few days after we went home. Soo yah we tried that tonite. But i don't think I did it rite.
I have been elevating her head too cuz I notice she hates laying flat cause it appears harder to breathe.
Sooo I will keep doing what we are doing.
Oh and I am breastfeeding too. So I was hoping the antibodies would help fight this thing.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 AM

nak

mine has a cold too - has had it for about a week now - poor kiddo. i second the breastmilk suggestion. although it can be tricky - squirt a few drops up each nostril several times a day to loosen mucous. if you can't do this then saline drops are at the drugstore for kids and they work fairly well. breastfeed as much as you can becasue it will help your dc get over the illness sooner. i have found nursing in our bathroom after a shower or with the shower running nice and hot so it is steamy in there helps. here's hoping both of our dc's feel better soon!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD2 has been battling pertussis since she was about 3 weeks, she got a very mild case of it, thank goodness. The breastmilk in the nose definately helps with a stuffy nose. I also up my vit c so it'll pass through my milk and baby will get some as well. Hang in there.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM

nak too...
excuse typos!

warning on the nasal aspirators...if you do it too much, the baby's nose will swell--and it will seem like she is stuffy....
Also, make sure you totally depress the bulb before putting it in her nose...you don't want to blow air into her nose!
Dropping BM in her nose is a great way to go!!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Eucalyptus oil in some boiling water also does wonders loosening the mucous. We got some at whole foods. I boil the water and put many drops directly into that and dd and I stay on top of it for 5-10 minutes.
Best wishes!!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 PM

My ds had a cold within a week when he was born...big sis brought it home. You have already had lots of great advice

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 AM

Just jumping in with another "you're not alone." We came home from the hospital about 10 hours after she was born, but big brother (21 months) came to pick her up with dada and my MIL. He ran in and kissed all over her... then my MIL said he had been stuffy and coughing all day

But a cold was totally worth it - I would hate to have started their relationship off by telling him to stay away... so I'm glad I didn't know until after the "love fest" was over

You have been given lots of great suggestions... especially the breastmilk nasal drops.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:50 AM

my DD got a cold at 2 weeks old in the middle of the summer! : I almost think it was an emotional response in her case as her Daddy had just died. so weird!

nurse, nurse, nurse is my only advice! You can also put some BM in her nose if she is stuffy.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I will try the breast milk drops in her nose.

And I am nursing like crazy. Heh.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM

My little babe has had a juicy cough and runny nose since about six days old. I am super bummed out about it. the doctors say not to worry unless he is coughing a lot, but I am of course worried. He coughs mostly when he is stirring and waking up. I believe he got it from the dang doctor at 2 days old when we brought him in for his first check. Saw the same doctor about his cough and asked about his stinky cord and the doc was like: oh, I have a stuffy nose I can't smell anything. GReaaaaat~
oh well, hopefully it won't get worse. I'll have to try the breastmilk thing too..that's a good idea.
Hope your babe gets better!
Erica
Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Instead of googling "Newborn colds" last night I should have just popped into your DDC. lol My Jonas will be 6wks tomorrow and has his first cold as well. Everything says to call dr when they are under 3mos but I hate to bring him anywhere when there are more germies in the drs office than here. My guy doesn't "sound" bad and though he feels a tad warm he isn't hot and I don't fee concerned yet. DH took a bath with him today. I just feel bad for him when he all of a sudden leans his head back cause he got a bit of mucous caught when breathing. Oh and the bulb sucker? OMG I want to cry when trying to use it on him. he just cries so pathetically. And we have gotten used to this being our calm baby and never ever crying like this. So it kills me

I hope all of your babies get well soon too!!!

Crystal

User Tag List