Lochia/PP Bleeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my daughter 6.5 weeks ago (11/15). Every time I think, "Hey, my bleeding has **finally** stopped!" I find it again. It isn't heavy by any means. n fact, this is the second time that I've gone 3 or so days with nothing... then when I wipe I see clearish-white discharge with brown "old blood" in it on the paper. There was enough this time to also leave a spot about the size of a pencil eraser on my pad, too.

I bled about 5.5 weeks after my son was born. I remember thinking about postponing my 6 week follow-up with my doctor, but it stopped before the appointment. So I know I'm a long bleeder. But isn't this a little ridiculous? Does there come a time when I should worry - it's not heavy? My follow-up isn't until 8 weeks this time because of the holidays/scheduling. So I have another week+ before I can ask my doctor - this doesn't seem urgent enough to call.

Answers to the regular questions:
I am exclusively nursing my daughter - and co-sleeping/night nursing marathons occasionally... so I'm not thinking period (had to night wean my toddler to get cycles back).
I am drinking a small lake of water daily
I did do a little more walking/moving today as my daughter and I did some shopping on our own... so lots of in and out of the stationery car seat and I wore her while we were in stores.
The bleeding isn't from sex... we've been waiting for it to end to resume (drums fingers impatiently).
Only other change in life is going dairy free a couple days ago - dairy was a HUGE part of my diet, but she's breaking out and I'm trying to stop that.

Any help?

(Should I post this elsewhere, also? Like "I'm Pregnant" or something?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Sounds totally normal to me. I think mine has finally really stopped for good (I had my baby the day before you), but I wouldn't be surprised to see a little spotting after a long walk or something like that. From what you describe, I wouldn't be worried at all.

At four weeks I saw my midwives (having blood pressure issues here), and I mentioned that I was still bleeding "a lot" because at that time I was still having big gushes and small clots, and the midwives said they would only be concerned if I had to change my pad every hour all day long (as it was, I was going through 2 pads a day). So, what I thought was "a lot" of bleeding for 4 weeks pp sounded totally normal to them.

But, for your sake, I hope it lets up soon!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 11 Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM

This time mine did the stop and start thing too. It finally stopped altogether at 6 weeks and some odd days, can't remember exactly. It was just spotting though after about 4 weeks or so. I think it's pretty common and usually nothing to worry about.
I hope it stops for you soon though because I know it's annoying.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 11 Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 AM

I'm still spotting - off and on. DD was born on 11/16 - and I'm still getting red spotting every few days.

Is anyone else getting cramps? I am.

I'm going in for an ultrasound in Jan. to see if there is any retained matter. The placenta was intact, so MW doesn't think it's that. I, too, am a bleeder (5.5 weeks after first 2 kids). But this is a bit much!

Some answers here, too:
DD is exclusively breast fed.
Sex? What's that?!
#5 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
I'm still spotting - off and on. DD was born on 11/16 - and I'm still getting red spotting every few days.

Is anyone else getting cramps? I am.

I'm going in for an ultrasound in Jan. to see if there is any retained matter. The placenta was intact, so MW doesn't think it's that. I, too, am a bleeder (5.5 weeks after first 2 kids). But this is a bit much!

Some answers here, too:
DD is exclusively breast fed.
Sex? What's that?!
I'm getting cramps yesterday and today, too. Just now when I went to the bathroom, I had some clots as well (one the size of a quarter). I'm trying not to freak out - and I'm trying not to panic that it's my period back, either. I was really hoping to have a little time to learn temping before needing to use it to avoid!

I think I have either food poisoning or that stomach bug that going around, too, though - so I'm not sure what's what. My "6 week" follow up is next Monday - I'm hoping I can hold out until then...

And I'm more than spotting now - I've had to change my cloth pads 3 times today - each time they were about 1/3 full. That's way heavier than my lochia has been... but WAY lighter than my normal periods - let alone my first pp period last time!
#6 of 11 Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 5 weeks 2 days post and I had for the last week had only yellowish discharge, and then today I woke up to bright red blood on the toilet paper. Seems weird to me, but all these posts make me less worried. I too am EBF and cosleeping, so it better not be my moon!
#7 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM

I had my baby on Dec 7th and I am still having some bright red bleeding as well. I'll go about 3 days with just some yellowish discharge and then its red again.

I had the ob who delivered ds check me out while I was in the hospital last week just in case. I had pancreatitis and was in the hospital from the 23rd to the 29th. I did end up having my gallbladder removed:
#8 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
I had the ob who delivered ds check me out while I was in the hospital last week just in case. I had pancreatitis and was in the hospital from the 23rd to the 29th. I did end up having my gallbladder removed:
Sorry to hear about your pancreatitis and hospital stay. What were your symptoms of pancreatitis and what caused it? Hope you and the baby are well, now!
#9 of 11 Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 PM

I'm going on 12 weeks and STILL having bleeding. It went on till 5 weeks pp, then stopped for a week, started again, stopped for a week, started again, stopped for a week, started again - etc. It's seriosuly annoying as heck, but OB says it's normal and I should stop doing so much (as I laugh in his face while I chase my 3 and 5 year old around the room, LOL!)
#10 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 09:27 PM

I can't really help but I hope the bleeding stops soon! Mine stopped by two weeks but I have bright red blood for about four hours one afternoon after my baby's father inflicted extreme stress on us.
#11 of 11 Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetnLindley View Post
I can't really help but I hope the bleeding stops soon! Mine stopped by two weeks but I have bright red blood for about four hours one afternoon after my baby's father inflicted extreme stress on us.
what a nitwit, I'm sorry s

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page