Favorite Natural Pregnancy/Birth Books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS was a hospital birth, planning a HB this time.

I was niave and innocent, LOL, and have a dog-eared copy of "What to Expect When Your Expecting" on the shelves. By the time DS was born, my beliefs had shifted towards the sentiments of Sears' "The Baby Book."

I've got AP and all that figure out, but don't have much info on natural, healthy pregnancies - all my books treat it like a disease, something to manage.

Would love some recommendations for natural homebirthing and natural pregnancy books. I need to start reading up so we're prepared!

TIA!
#2 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM

Active Birth by Janet Balaskas

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#3 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 06:54 PM

I love natural childbirth books!!
In no particular order:

Magical Beginnings Enchanted Lives A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth by Deepak Chopra MD - bit new age for me, but lots of good stuff

Baby Catcher, Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent You will be at some of the stories in this one. Like her kids friends know her as the "placenta lady" because she did a demonstration in their school and another one of a homebirth she did and the mom to be had a really mean cat. Sooooooooo funny!

Adventures in Natural Childbirth Tales from Women on the joys, fears, pleasures and pains of giving birth naturally. Edited by Janet Schwegel with foreword by Pam England This one has stories of natural births with midwives, doulas, MD's and unassisted

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin - great book - lots of wonderful info, not just stories.

Natural childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheaon - good info on natural birth tho I don't like that they say to hold so still - whatever works I guess.

I loved reading these and keep seeing more and want them and I'm not even pregnant. IMO the good thing about reading lots of stories is it gives you more idea of the broad spectrum of what to expect...
Good luck!!!
#4 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

...Proceeding to Amazon....

Thanks so much ladies!
#5 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 PM

I just started on Birthing From Within by Pam England. And my midwife lent me Birth Reborn by Odent and Immaculate Deception II by Suzanne Arms (both of which I have yet to read, but look forward to it).
#6 of 8 Old 04-24-2006, 09:10 PM

A great web site on all sorts of natural birth article is Laura Shanley's site:

http://www.ucbirth.com. She also has a book about UC birth, which is good even if you plan a home birth with a mid-wife:

Unassisted Childbirth by Laura Kaplan Shanley

or:

Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth by Grantly Dick Read

The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth by Laurie Morgan

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 AM

Check out the Doulas of North America recommended reading list.
http://www.dona.org/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=BBDC

if the link doesn't work try www.dona.org and click on the boutique

Married to dh (9/03) momma to Elana (12/06) and the little bean due (1/10)
#8 of 8 Old 04-25-2006, 03:29 PM

I LOVE Sheila Kitzinger's The Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Birth. It is comprehensive and natural-geared. Think of it as a much much much better/natural version of the What to Expect book. The book is chock full of pregnancy comfort info, birth information, and the real-deal on choices in childbirth.

I also like Birthing from Within as it gives emotional appeal to childbirth that is missing in other birth books. It is real "gut" preparation.

The Birth Partner from Simkin is also a great choice. It really goes into what to do in certain situations in labor- for the doula, birth partner, and mom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page