Why does brushing my teeth make me sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else find that their morning toothbrushing routine sends them to the toilet? This has been happening to me more and more lately. I know you can sometimes gag when brushing your tongue, but that's not what's happening here. I'll just be brushing and then I suddenly have to spit it out so I can gag. Sometimes I only dry heave, but sometimes I actually vomit. The weirdest part is that I will feel perfectly fine when I wake up. It comes on quite suddenly. I thought this was strange, but maybe there are others of you out there? : I'm kind of at a loss as to how to handle this. Obviously, I don't want to stop brushing my teeth. Any advice? Just suffer through it and hope it passes? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 11:53 AM

I'm not in your DDC, but I also have troubles brushing, especially early in my pregnancies. My first clue this time was that I almost yakked one morning when brushing my teeth! For me, it's the taste of mint that does it. I can't stand minty things when I'm pregnant. I change to a cinnamon flavored toothpaste, and it's better.

Hope you find something that works for you!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM

Also not in oyur ddc but this happens to me too. It's starting to get better now at 14 weeks, but man. I second the suggestion to buy a different flavor of toothpaste! I haven't brushed my teeth at night for the past month and a half...:

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 PM

I couldn't brush my teeth until after breakfast, and I never brushed my tongue until m/s passed. I found brushing on an empty stomach was the worst. I gargled instead, and chewed a lot of gum to try to keep the bacteria on my tongue at bay. Sometimes a different flavor toothpaste works. Perhaps doing the infant thing and just using a washcloth on your teeth and tongue may help. I also foudn that keeping my mouth open to brush increased my gag reflex, so keeping your mouth closed may help.

hh2.gif

Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM

I have to brush mine before breakfast or I would lose mine. I always gag bad while brushing mine in the morning during the first trimester. Thanksfully it is not nearly as bad to brush them at night.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 04-26-2006, 03:03 PM

I did this with DC#1 until I changed my toothpaste to Tom's. Probably any natural toothpaste will do- it was the disgusting artificial garbage in the mainstream toothpastes that my body was objecting to. Also, keep in mind that you do not need toothpaste- you can just brush with your plain brush. Or you can try baking soda if you want something, but that might be a strong taste to handle.

Funny thing is, now, even between pregnancies, I prefer the natural pastes. The others just taste so fake to me.

HTH!!

User Tag List