Bleeding after Pap smear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Three days ago I went to have my first prenatal exam and had a pap smear done, to which I started to spot. WEll, a day after that happened I started bleeding. Is this normal?? Im getting better but every once in a while it would bleed dark red when I go to the restroom. How long does this usually last? Please advise...
#2 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't know how long it lasts, but I had a pap done at 11 weeks and bled a little afterwards. Nothing major, but the doctor said it's not unusual.

I hope it stops for you soon!
#3 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 06:03 PM

Yeah, so normal. I think I spotted some when I had my last pap while pregnant. Remember that the cervix is engorged with blood while pg and that slight scraping could certain cause the bleeding.

If it is more blood than what can be handled by a couple of panty liners a day, I'd ask the OB/midwife about it...otherwise, it seems normal.

Maryhippie.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bled for *3 days* after a pap with one OB, and I wasn't even pregnant at the time!!!! Needless to say, I didn't go back to him. That was not normal for me.

But yeah, it's normal to bleed after a pap, especially when pregnant, since the cervix is tender and there's so much blood flow going on down there. A friend of mine had gushing blood after a cervical exam around 8 months with her first pregnancy, and it was just her cervix bleeding, nothing wrong with the baby or placenta (btw, this was the same OB I'd had the 3 day bleeding with : - I think he's just kind of rough).

I didn't bleed after my pap this pregnancy (didn't have one with the first pregnancy), but I was seeing this new OB, and when he did my pap last year, I didn't bleed either. Normally, I spot that day and maybe the next day. I don't know what my new OB does different from everyone else that's ever given me a pap!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 9 Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 PM

i also bled and spotted after my pap w/ DD

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#6 of 9 Old 05-12-2006, 07:29 PM

That's why I refused a pap this time. I spotted with my DD and I just had a pap in December. So when they wanted to do it again, I told them NO WAY! It's not worth the stress if you start spotting.
#7 of 9 Old 05-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

: Why are they still pushing paps on pregnant women!!! They are proven to cause infection and miscarriage!

Please, remember, you have the right to say, No! to any invasive medical tests you do not want. Please research all the tests so you can make an informed and educated decision regarding the health and well-being of your babies.

There are many threads on MDC that will have links and info to help you.
#8 of 9 Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
: Why are they still pushing paps on pregnant women!!! They are proven to cause infection and miscarriage!

Please, remember, you have the right to say, No! to any invasive medical tests you do not want.

ITA!!! I wish wish wish they didn't do paps at prenatal visits. s to you OP, I hope the bleeding stops soon.
#9 of 9 Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

HI all,

Thanks for your advice and input...my bleeding has stopped but Im still spotting dark tiny clots about once a day. Gosh...I wish i had known not to agree to the pap smear...what did I know, it's my first pregnancy! I had just gotten one last year already , too. Anyway, I have a second bloodwork on Monday and an appt on Tues or WEd. ...I hope there's no bad news. but we'll see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page