Is it unreasonable to ask for an ultrasound just for "peace of mind" ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had a good feeling about this pregnancy so far. I don't know if it's just my own worries - financially we're not doing well, how will I manage 3 kids, etc.

Or if it's mama's intuition saying that something just isn't "right" - this is more how I'm feeling, honestly. That something is just "off".

My first appointment with my midwife is in just over a week - on the 23rd. I'll be 11 weeks then.

Would it be unreasonable for me to ask for an early ultrasound (they normally offer an ultrasound around 18 to 20 weeks, an "anatomy" scan I guess). I've had some spotting, and some cramping, but never together thankfully.

I am just so extremely anxious about everything - it's affecting my day-to-day life.

So - would I be out of line to ask for an extra scan ?

FWIW - maternity practicioners in Canada do NOT have U/S machines in thier offices. This requires getting a requisition and going to either a hospital (most likely) or possibly an U/S clinic if there is one nearby.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#2 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 05:20 PM

Personally, I don't think so. It sounds like you are really worried and have been for some time. You really deserve some reassurance. I don't know your midwife, but if they are okay with doing routine scans at 18-20 weeks, I don't see why it would be a big deal to do one at 11 weeks as well. I'm assuming that your reservation comes from not wanting to have a lot of unneccesary scans, but if your nervousness is so profoundly affecting you, take advantage of the technology. Perhaps it would be better for the baby for you to have the information that you need in order to relax. And I hope that your intuition is "off" and everything is going great in there!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#3 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 06:12 PM

I totally agree with ATruck. You should get the u/s to help your peace of mind. I, too, hope that your intuition is faulty in this case and that everything is doing great.

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#4 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Yep I agree if you are really stressed out then ask for one just so you can calm down if everything if fine. Being so stressed isn't good for the baby or you so if it helps relieve some of that then why not. I would ask for one.
#5 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

not a problem getting an early US. I live in Canada, heck Ontario even, and I got one at 8wks! I said I was concerned that I could be carrying twins, and need to know early because it will limit my choices for care providers, and I need time to get used to it. And my Dr gave me one. (I'll be moving to BC and going under the care of midwives out there)

So yes, call your midwives and say that you've been experiencing spotting and cramping and you'd like an ultrasound.
#6 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 PM

I know this makes me sound like a major interventionist, but an US doesn't catch everything that could be potentially seriously wrong. It catches a lot...but not all.

My recommendation, if you're serious about your misgivings or have factual reasons why you'd be concerned (e.g., you're older than the norm, there's a family history of a serious condition, you were exposed to some kind of toxins, et cetera...) is that you have an amnio. That will catch basically any serious genetic condition your baby will be affected by. Yeah, there's a chance of miscarriage -- about 2%. It's a crapshoot.

No matter what, I hope everything's fine.
#7 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM

I think I'd share all my concerns and worries with my midwife, whom I would expect to NOT brush everything off like some OB's are known to do (BTDT!).

With her experience alone, your midwife might be able to allay your fears and indicate whether or not your pregnancy seems fine.

If you still don't feel quite 'right' then ask for the u/s requisition.

IMO, this is exactly the kind of reason that I want to work with a midwife this time, instead of an OB. I have this impression that a midwife more frequently has the inclination to listen to 'mama's intution' then some other medical practitioners might.

HTH & hope you receive some peace of mind, regardless of how it comes to you.

Maryhippie.gif

#8 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 08:34 PM

Sure, get an u/c. My doctor simply ask me when do I want to have next u/c - I am almost 8 week but I already had 3 scans and each one gave a little pice of mind for at least few days.
#9 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I know this makes me sound like a major interventionist, but an US doesn't catch everything that could be potentially seriously wrong. It catches a lot...but not all.

My recommendation, if you're serious about your misgivings or have factual reasons why you'd be concerned (e.g., you're older than the norm, there's a family history of a serious condition, you were exposed to some kind of toxins, et cetera...) is that you have an amnio. That will catch basically any serious genetic condition your baby will be affected by. Yeah, there's a chance of miscarriage -- about 2%. It's a crapshoot.

No matter what, I hope everything's fine.
Amnios don't "catch everything" either -- genetic disorders, yes -- some. I have a family history of retinitis pigmentosa, for example, and that isn't screened for. Developmental disorders -- no. And a miscarriage rate of 2% isn't insignificant if you're the 2% miscarrying a second-trimester pregnancy. Problems with the pregnancy (not the fetus, but placenta, etc.) are NOT detectable by amnio.

If the US will make you feel better, then go for it.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#10 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 PM

I would get the ultrasound if it would put your mind at ease. My daughter had a defect that caught on an ultrasound. She had to be delivered early b/c of complications that would have arose from the defect, so the ultrasound (actually multiple in our case to monitor the defect) saved her life. She would not have survived to deliver based on the rate of the growth of her defect.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#11 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My recommendation, if you're serious about your misgivings or have factual reasons why you'd be concerned (e.g., you're older than the norm, there's a family history of a serious condition, you were exposed to some kind of toxins, et cetera...) is that you have an amnio.
I'm 29.
No unusual exposures to anything
No family history of any birth defects / conditions

No desire to have an amnio.

Just want to reassurance that I've got a living, growing baby inside me.

Jesse (July '09)
#12 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 PM

I had a blighted ovum before our second son was conceived. Naturally, I went into the next pregnancy terrified. It really did affect my every day life. I thought about it constantly and had a hard time feeling excited or happy. I asked my doctor for an ultrasound and, given my history, she had no issues with it.

I was 11wks when I saw our very healthy baby moving around on the screen. I broke down sobbing and apologized to the u/s tech Seeing him alive and well made me feel MUCH better. If you think this would help put your mind at ease, I say go for it.
#13 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
Amnios don't "catch everything" either -- genetic disorders, yes -- some. I have a family history of retinitis pigmentosa, for example, and that isn't screened for. Developmental disorders -- no. And a miscarriage rate of 2% isn't insignificant if you're the 2% miscarrying a second-trimester pregnancy. Problems with the pregnancy (not the fetus, but placenta, etc.) are NOT detectable by amnio.

If the US will make you feel better, then go for it.
Are you suggesting that an ultrasound will catch MORE problems than an amnio? Are you suggesting an ultrasound will catch retinitis pigmentosa? Loss of peripheral vision is no picnic, but compared to, say, Down syndrome, I know which one I'd prefer to take as a parent -- or as a patient.

If the OP is concerned, and it sounds as if she is, then she may consider the 2% miscarriage risk worth the trouble when compared to what might be, given her genetic history or specific individual condition, the far greater risk of a child with a serious problem she and her family aren't prepared to handle.
#14 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 01:52 AM

If your concern is more of 'is this baby actually THERE, with a beating heart', you may very well have that fear alleviated by hearing the baby's heart beat with a doppler if you will already be 11 weeks by your first appointment.

If your concern is more of 'there is something WRONG with this baby, like Down's or anencephaly', then the anatomical scan at 18-20 weeks will pick up a lot of those type problems. You CAN have an amnio sooner than that, somewhere around 16 weeks I believe, but that is a VERY invasive test that carries its own very real risks if there is no true medical indication for having it done.

If hearing the heartbeat doesn't alleviate your fears, I think a quick peek via u/s is perfectly reasonable.
#15 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the OP is concerned, and it sounds as if she is, then she may consider the 2% miscarriage risk worth the trouble when compared to what might be, given her genetic history or specific individual condition, the far greater risk of a child with a serious problem she and her family aren't prepared to handle.
I already addressed this in post #11 - if you want to debate about U/S vs. amnio, please start another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear
I'm 29.
No unusual exposures to anything
No family history of any birth defects / conditions

No desire to have an amnio.

Just want to reassurance that I've got a living, growing baby inside me.

Jesse (July '09)
#16 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oops - double post

Jesse (July '09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page