what does it feel like when the baby moves? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been feeling these little twinges and pokes lately, and I can't tell if they are just from my uterus growing, my ligaments stretching, or the baby moving. What does it feel like to everyone else when your baby moves, if you have felt it? As a first-time mom I have no idea what it feels like, but I would like to be able to identify what I am feeling now. Thanks!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#2 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2beamama
I have been feeling these little twinges and pokes lately, and I can't tell if they are just from my uterus growing, my ligaments stretching, or the baby moving. What does it feel like to everyone else when your baby moves, if you have felt it? As a first-time mom I have no idea what it feels like, but I would like to be able to identify what I am feeling now. Thanks!
It's more like a flutter at first, almost like gas bubbles, not actual pokes. And they're down pretty low right now. How far along are you? I've felt movement as early as 14.5 weeks before but usually it's not until later, around 18-20 weeks for most women. You have to really be paying attention to recognize it that early (& the placenta can't be on the front of the uterus) & then see a pattern before you're convinced it's more than just gas.

Shannon
#3 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Initially it's just the feeling of water in motion. Imagine holding a water balloon between your hands and then a goldfish inside the water balloon moves quickly. You wouldn't feel the fish specifically, but you might feel the ripples in the water caused by the movement.

Later you feel the actual 'flip-floppy' feeling like the goldfish moving. From there it progresses to feeling actual baby body parts in contact with your uterus.

20 ish weeks is pretty common for 1st time mamas, though I know plenty of women who felt those first movements, with their first, at about 15 weeks.

I'm 12 1/2 weeks now with pg. #4 and I've been feeling things for weeks.

There's nothing else quite like it, physically or emotionally, in the world!

Maryhippie.gif

#4 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 PM

With my first, I felt the pops and flutters that were so much like gas bubbles for a few weeks, and then somewhere between 15-16 weeks the baby kicked me hard enough that I felt her with my hand and it even made my abdomen bulge out a little bit - then I KNEW. Up until then I wasn't really sure.

I'm kind of going through the same thing now. I've felt the flutters and bubbles but am not sure if it's the baby or not. I'll know for sure when I can feel it from the outside!
#5 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 05:42 PM

To me it feels like a tickle or like spiders crawling around inside your body With Elle I felt a very strong kick when I was 13 weeks but then I didn't feel any kicking again for a few more weeks. I am 14 weeks today and so far I have only felt the tickling a few times but no kicks yet.
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#6 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, everyone . So, maybe the pokes and twinges I'm feeling aren't the baby, but now I have a better idea what to look for. I think I've felt some of the sensations you're talking about, and all your descriptions make sense. I'm almost 16 weeks, so hopefully I will feel it soon! I'm just so anxious to be able to feel my baby in there! That will probably subside when I am getting strong kicks to the bladder or something , but for now I would love to feel something. Thanks everyone!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#7 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Hi Sarah,

I wanted to say that with my first I started to feel the "fluttering" at 14 weeks or so...then around 20 weeks, I started to feel the pokes.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#8 of 9 Old 06-10-2006, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
With my first, I was sitting in church one morning around 15 weeks. I suddenly felt worms crawling under my skin. That was baby!

Gas can feel very similar, but I tell the difference usually by location. With this preg, I started feeling flutters at 11 weeks, and they were WAAAAAY down low. It happened at the same time that I felt my uterus moving up out of my pelvis. My intestines aren't in that spot, so it was definitely baby. Now I'm 16 weeks, and the flutters are a bit higher. You should be able to feel the top of your fundus when laying down (although it can be tough to find - ask your OB/midwife to show you how if you can't find it). Then you know that any flutters below that point are baby.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#9 of 9 Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I know it's still so early for me (11 w 2d), but I SWEAR I have been feeling tiny flutters occaisionally! It feels just like last time, so maybe it actually is the baby! I felt it really early last time, too, but not this early!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page