names meaning "mother" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-31-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I am searching for names that mean "mother" or in some way honor the grandmother. You see, my mom passed away this past fall and I want to name the baby after her, but not neccessarily use her name. Let me know what you find. thanks!

Married to dh (9/03) momma to Elana (12/06) and the little bean due (1/10)
#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM

I found....

Candace-hereditary title of Ethiopian Queens, derived from word meaning "queen mother".

Emese-hungarian, derived from the word "eme". Name of grandmother in Hungarian legend.

There were a couple others, but I couldn't pronounce them! I'll keep looking, I love names!
#3 of 8 Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM

Another idea might be to take the meaning of your mother's name and find a name with the same or a similar meaning in another language?

For example, we were planning to use "Rose" as a middle name if this baby were a girl - to honor both my great aunt Rose and DH's grandmother, whose name "Zahira," means flower.
#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 AM

My name means earth mother/ mother of many nations/ mother of multitudes. It's Abra, which is the feminine form of Abraham. It's a bit unusual (although I have met 2 more in my lifetime) and it is often mispronounced, but I love it. Don't know if that's the kind of name you had in mind, but thought I would offer it up. Good luck with whatever you choose. Me and DH are having a hard time with names b/c the meaning is really important to DH. It seems a bot tricky to find one that sounds good and has a good meaning.
#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM

grrrl,

You got all those earth mother names like Eartha, Adama (woman of the earth or earth woman), Hava/Chava (mother or all life), Eve, Eva, Terra/Tara you literally have ZILLIONS to choose from.

Are you having a boy? You could try Tera for a boy or some other interesting "mother" name. Maybe even "Earth".

Or what about life giving forces...like Rain or River...since water is a life giver (just like a mother)?

Or you can use that name in another language or changed around a bit.

To go with the Rose example...Shoshannah (means rose for a girl), Vered (also rose/lilly for a girl...but could be used for a boy too), Lily, Cactus...

Seriously, it never ends.

What about words for moon? A moon has a Grandmother connotation in many cultures (including Native american). Luna, Levena (in high Hebrew...poetic..like "big white thing")?

Or what about the word grandmother in a foreign language?

Em (short for Ema...meaning Mother) or any Em names like Emily or Emanuel...?

Grrl, you got OPTIONS!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#6 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Maya means mother in Greek...I think it's Greek..it means something else (like 'mine' I think) in another language though. Our original girl name was Maya Terra, Mother Earth.
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydoulamama
Maya means mother in Greek...I think it's Greek..it means something else (like 'mine' I think) in another language though. Our original girl name was Maya Terra, Mother Earth.
That's very close to my girl name "Maia Gabrielle" (I had conflicting ultrasound results for the sex, so we'll see).

Mainermoma: I, too, wanted a name to honor my mom but did not want to use the exact name. My mom's name is "Maria". I also wanted a more original name, so I just got rid of the "r" in the middle.

"Maia" is a Greek name (I'm Greek BTW), and I do notice that most baby books give a meaning of "mother" or "nurse", but it actually means "goddess of spring" (we get the word "May" from the same root). In Greek mythology Maia was the most beautiful of the seven daughters of Atlas (a.k.a., the guy who has the weight of the world on his shoulders).

So this name might also be a good candidate for any mama whose dh works too hard.
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Anya

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page