Naming issue..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, we talked names before our ultrasound and had a boy name we liked, Silas. I still like the name, but I'm feeling a little ambivilant. My dd's name is Sophia, and I really don't want to start a "thing" where we name all our kids with the same letter. It bugs me!

Anyway, so we have been discussing other names, and have yet to come to a conclusion, but now my family is all in an uproar because we said one thing and now we are changing our minds. Anyone else have a problem with this?

I told my dh last night I wish this kid would come out with a little peice of paper that said his name, like a fortune cookie!
#2 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 03:15 PM

There must be something wrong with my family. No one has ever commented/insisted on/cared about any baby names.

Sorry your family is being like that. The fortune cookie idea is good though .

#3 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 03:51 PM

I have no good advice for you. I am impressed that you have names in mind this early! We are much more slackerly about names at our house.

And the fortune cookie idea, how cute would that be for a birth announcment?

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#4 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ooohh, I like that idea! Fortune cookie birth announcements!
#5 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We're stuck on a boy's name too. We had originally agreed on Cameron, but then I found out it means "crooked nose", and since my DS Joshua's name has such strong meaning (Joshua in the Bible was strong and had courage, and his name means "Jehovah saves"), I don't want to have one child with strong meaning and another child with a crooked nose meaning. So now we're back to square one with a boy's name. We do have the middle name picked out at least.

We're not telling our family the name until birth (or until the boy is named - whichever comes last ). I don't want to deal with the name questions, so I just said it'd be a surprise since the gender was not a surprise this time. MIL was a bit disappointed, but she can deal. It's my baby!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM

We're having the same problem. DH and I agreed on a boy's name, Noah, before we knew if we were having a boy or a girl. Now that we know it's a boy, he's not so sure he wants to use the name we picked. He is leaning towards Jonah now and I'm just not feeling that one.

We're not telling names with this one either. With my DD, we told people the names we had picked out and we got a lot of ??? comments. MIL's response after hearing we picked Aidan for the boy name was, "Well, I guess I better start hoping it's a girl!" (Before that, she'd made it clear she'd wanted us to have a boy. @@) So yeah, this time no one in our family or friends are going to know the baby's name.
#7 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 PM

We never tell names until they are set in stone.

I do like the idea of a baby arriving with name already set! "Oh, look, it's a BOY! And... his name is: John! Welcome, John, we've been waiting to meet you!"

Sophiamama, I'm sorry your relatives are being such a pain. My goodness, it is YOUR baby, you should be able to change your mind on names until it is too official to change anything LOL. Phooey on them and their uproar
#8 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 PM

I agree about not telling others especially family about the names you pick or are thinking about...it's such a personal thing, and I think it is so rude when you tell someone a name you like and it gets a so so reaction or my gosh a negative one...my husband and I have choosen two names boy and girl..still working on middle names...and we also have some runner ups..just incase the baby doesn't look like that name...we are telling everyone once the baby comes...and may actually wait to tell everyone the gender...we need something for us...once I told everyone I was expecting some of my family would spend hours on the phone with me trying to sell me on this name or that name...and I was like 9 weeks pregnant!!! I have only told one person what the names were..and now I wish I wouldn't have...she's my best bud and she kinda gave me that "oh" reaction..so best advice..keep it to yourself..you may change your mind..and then you don't have a bunch of people with their opinions forced on you...peace mama's
#9 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 07:15 PM

don't let them bother you into keeping the name you original chose. its your choice on what to name your baby

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#10 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Could someone have gotten you a gift with the first name you choose or made something with that name?

That is the only reason I could see my family upset, but your family and mine may be very different.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#11 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM

The name 'Silas' always reminds me of George Eliot's Silas Marner, a sad sort of character.
#12 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 PM

We made the mistake of sharing our top three list of names with everyone before the birth of DS (we opted not to pick a final name until we had met him). Well, somehow, my whole family decided they liked one name on that list the best, and got it in their heads that that was the one we were going to/should use. We picked a different name off the list. I STILL hear their regrets about the other name now, 2 1/2 years later. *sigh* That said, the name we picked for our son really does suit him better than the name they all thought was nicer; I have no regrets.
#13 of 15 Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 PM

We always shared the names of each of the boys at this stage of the pregnancy...when we knew they were boys. But this time around, I don't know if we'll tell the grandparents before the birth. We're pretty certain that my MIL will make a face when she hears it and will willfully mispronounce it and make a fuss and complain...that's just her way. So, maybe she'll find out when she first holds the wee one. Maybe that will help her hold her tongue and opinion...looking into the face of her first grandaughter...

Of course, our eldest knows the baby's name and he'll share if she asks, so we'll just have to deal and stand our ground if it comes to it....it's my child, not hers.

Maryhippie.gif

#14 of 15 Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 PM

mary3mama - I just have to tell you that I have a cousin with the name Whingari. I think it's pretty!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#15 of 15 Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM

I never discuss names with anyone who knows me--family, friends, ANYONE, except my dh (and our 5 year old). I could just hear my mom "but you said her/his name was...." Not even until the name is passed in for the birth certificate will I reveal... It is just too difficult to begin with and people make off-hand not well thought out comments about something you've thought A LOT about and it just isn't fair.

If my mom asks I just give her the names we've discussed and are not serrious about, and she sometimes says the wackiest things! So I'm glad I keep the real ones secret... I'm kind of weird about naming though--it is like this very heavy responsibility, it is sacred.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page