balsamic vinegar contains lead? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know about this? I went to buy some at Trader Joe's today and there was a warning on the shelf saying that all the balsamic vinegar on their shelf contains lead which can cause reproductive harm, etc. I had never heard that before. I know I put balsamic vinegar on a salad once in this pregnancy. I bought the pomegranate vinegar instead. Hopefully that doesn't contain lead.

I've tried to be so careful about limiting lead exposure for dd and myself, but I keep finding out more and more things that contain it. Keys are another big one. I read a post on MDC a while back with a link to a fact sheet saying that keys often contain lead. It recommended washing your hands after touching your keys and not letting kids play with them. Of course, my dd loved my keys and held and put them in her mouth many, many times before I read this.

Other things I've found out contain lead:
many electrical cords (we had no lights on our Christmas tree last year because of this)
Mexican candy containing chile powder
some vinyl lunchboxes
some plastic jewelry
#2 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 AM

Wow I didn't know that but thanks for posting all that -it's good thing to know
#3 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 02:15 AM

But WHAT? how can they sell a food product that contains lead??????????????????????????????? they took lead out of paint but they dont ban it in food?????????????????

are you sure?

does all balsamic vinegar have lead? i am so freaked out! this cant be! where the heck is the lead coming from! ? ! :
#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 AM
Banned

It appears to be related to this lawsuit.

Quote:
According to Prop 65 News, however, an environmental group, the Environmental Law Foundation, filed a lawsuit under Prop 65 against makers and sellers of some popular wine vinegars, alleging that they contain small amounts of the metal lead.

ELF says lead can contaminate wine vinegar in the manufacturing process, and that the highest concentrations are found in Modena-style balsamic vinegar, a dark, rich vinegar favored by gourmet cooks.
After doing a little searching, it seems that one would have to drink a ton of Modena-style balsamic vinegar to experience lead poisoning. Just putting the occasional droplet or two on a salad or in something is not going to do much, they say. But, if you are trying to avoid lead all together, then these should go on your no list. That is most likely why TF's is putting up that sign, so consumers know it is there. There is lead in a lot of things but that does not make them dangerous. What makes lead a problem is having more and more of it in your body and being exposed to great quantities of it. So, the vinegar makers are trying to make it sound like it is no big deal. But, it must be somewhat of a big deal for there to be a lawsuit.
#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Good grief. I have balsamic vinegar about 5 times a week. I am really starting to feel like nothing is safe anymore.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#6 of 10 Old 08-27-2006, 10:17 AM

Oh no! My dr. suggested eating things with lots of balsamic vinegar when my last pregnancy was past due. At the time there was anecdotal evidence (and she had observed as well) that it helped start labor.
#7 of 10 Old 08-28-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck
Good grief. I have balsamic vinegar about 5 times a week. I am really starting to feel like nothing is safe anymore.
Me too. It's always on my salads, which I eat almost daily.There was a thread on one of these boards a while back about it being in baker's chocolate/ chocolate chips. I can't remember which, but it freaked me out.
#8 of 10 Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Good grief. I am now banned from my favorite dressing/condiment. :
#9 of 10 Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, boongirl.

I often feel that nothing is safe and it is disheartening. I figure we just have to stay informed and do the best we can with the information we have.
#10 of 10 Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 AM

Wow! That is one of the few things I have been craving this pg!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page