carrying high or low? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can you tell?

I'm pretty new on this whole pregnancy scene, and I have no idea if I'm carrying high or low. Nobody's really mentioned it until the past week, either. Then a couple days ago, in the checkout line, the cashier declared that I was having a boy because I'm carrying low. Today at the HFS, the cashier declared that I'm having a boy because I'm carrying high.

I know that the carrying high/low thing is supposed to have more to do with muscle tone/genetics, but i'm still curious as to what counts as high or low.

Then the guy behind me declared that he's 98% sure I'm having a girl. When given a funny look, he explained that he delivers babies, and has an intuition about this sort of thing and went on to tell me to go find the new video on waterbirth done by elena or something like that...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#2 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 07:51 PM

I have no idea... I know baby is mostly down low cause that is where I feel the most movement, at least I think so. I have a lump that is something belonging to the baby, but that is in the middle.
#3 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 PM

I think it's silly for people to generalize about this...

For MY BODY, here's what I experienced. With all 3 of my boy pregnancies I 'carried low' -- meaning that it looked sorta like a pumpkin shape bellow the belly button.

For this pregnancy, my only girl one, I am 'carrying high' for me -- meaning that my belly is shaped more like a watermelon and the point of it is at or above my belly button.

I remember one time late in my last pregnancy. I got really tired of all the 'high' or 'low' pronouncements, so one day when someone told me I was carrying low, I replied, "no, that's just gas..."

Maryhippie.gif

#4 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 PM

I'm "carrying low", and did last preg too (both are boys, btw, but I don't think that really matters). How do I know? Because my bladder and cervix are constantly punched and squashed, etc. I *finally* started getting occasional tiny rib shots last weekend, but that was while he was still squashing my bladder! AND... I have to pee every 2 hours at night because of the bladder squashing thing... this has gone on the *entire* pregnancy. It never lets up for me during the 2nd trimester like the books say it does. THEY LIE!

Sometimes, it feels like baby is just going to fall out. My last one did, at 29 weeks. Ok, really my water broke - he didn't actually fall out. So far so good with this one... I'll be 31 weeks in a couple days. He's felt like he'd fall out since about 16 weeks. I just don't think he could get much lower! I'm curious as to whether he'll "drop", or if that's even possible.
#5 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM

This whole idea of high and low is perplexing. I think that when people comment on high vs. low, what they're really seeing is the shape of your belly, which depends on your own body type, really, not the position of the baby. I look like I have a bump pretty high up, for example, but the baby is down below, and that's where I get the most movement.
#6 of 9 Old 09-19-2006, 10:10 PM

I think I'm carrying "high" and I look like I swallowed a basketball. However, my baby boy is always hanging around in the middle or lower part of my uterus, never up at the top. It usually feels like he's trying to kick a hole right through my belly button.

I really think it has more to do with the mother's body structure as opposed to the actual position of the baby!
#7 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 AM

Yep...there is no biological reasoning that a boy would be high, girl low or whatever. It depends on mom's body type and baby's size/preference etc...nothing to do with gender.
#8 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 PM

I carried my first baby "low" and this baby is "high". I think the reason is that I started off this pregnancy coming off of an intense Bikram Yoga 60 day challenge and was in very good shape...lots of muscle tone.
That's my explanation..difference in muscle tone for me.
#9 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM

I am carrying my baby high... my bump is right below my breasts! Someone at work told me that this means that it is a boy. Who knows?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page