Breast pumps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing a lot of research about pums and since I'll be going back to work I'm inclined to get the Avent ISIS IQ Duo. Do any of you have any recomendations?

Also we are kind of in a tight budget, and I heard that some insurances may cover the pump through the "medical equipment" clause, is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Most people I know swear by the Medela Pump-In-Style, so I don't know much about the Isis pumps at ALL! I'm planning to rent a pump from the hospital for a couple of months before I purchase one since I don't know what my needs will be until the time comes, although I DO know I'll need to eventually buy a pump. At least by having some experience with regard to which features I like, etc. I feel I'll be able to make a more informed decision and not get stuck with a pump that won't suit my needs.

I'd check with your insurance company to see if they'll cover all or part of the cost of the pump. There's really no way to know unless you ask. If nothing else, if you have a medical reimbursement account, you should be able to get the reimbursed for the purchase of the pump.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM

I have medela pump in style. I used it for my son 9 years ago and planning to use it again. It is excellent pump - you are done in 15 min including set up and clean up. I think it is around 250-300. I never asked my ins for reimbursment; just got it.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM

I have a medela pump in style from when I was working--I used it with number one, and number two, and going to use it with this one too... It is about 5 years old and still works great (and I used it A LOT).

It is also very comfortable!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 09-21-2006, 04:36 PM

I also use the medela pump in style.
Just wanted to mention that if you qualify for WIC that since you are going back to work that you can qualify for a pump for free. The income guidelines for WIC are much higher then any other program. Worth checking out.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM

I use a pump in style too and have been very happy with it.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM

You cannot go wrong with a pump-in-style... you can adjust everything... suction, speed, and they have breast shields in a ton of styles so you're sure to find some that work for your milkers.

It is well worth the price! Think of all the $$$ you will save not buying formula.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM

I have the Ameda Purely Yours, which seems to be considered the second best option if you don't want to shell out for the PIS. I pumped with it for 9 months with DS1, and was quite happy with it. I got mine for about $150 new online, so it is quite a bit cheaper than the PIS. Not sure how that compares to the Ameda's price...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Oh, and you know - you might be able to charge your breast pump to a healthcare savings account, if you have one and insurance won't cover it. Worth looking into!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Wow, I needed this info too.
I wanted to add a pump to our registry, just in case someone is feeling super generous. I might just put them both on there and let them go from there.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalC View Post
Most people I know swear by the Medela Pump-In-Style
I used the Medela Pump in Style for a whole year of pumping 2 times, 5 days a week...sometimes three times a day.
I highly recommend going with a good pump even if it costs more...you are definitely going to need/want a pump that is dependable and works well if you'll be pumping a lot.

User Tag List