Are you reading? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2006, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what everyone else is reading.

I'm reading my books in the tub at night after dh and dd are asleep and I am having my epsom salt soak for the ankles that amazingly tend to swell up after spending all day on my feet.

I remember with Gracie I read everything under the sun about birth that I could find/afford!

This time, well, I'm reading some birth stuff. I just finished "The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth" which was pretty good. I probably would have found it more critically inspiring with dd's pregnancy than this one.

I'm in the middle of Continuum Concept. Whoa. It started a little dry, but it's making me "get" AP. I'm feeling challenged, and also more prepared for babe to arrive at the same time. And I'm thinking I need to change some things in our daily routines, to be more responsive to dd, who is being much more needy of mothering lately- I'm afraid I may have been pushing her away. I mean, I know I have physically because nursing and bed-sharing has been physically painful lately, but I think I've also erected an emotional barrier as a result, and I need to be more available to her and sensitive to her needs. Most convicting.

Next up for me is "How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk".
#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm reading The Birth House.

During my first pg, I read Midwives and The Red Tent. I will also try to read the Red Tent again before this birth- it's the best book of fiction ever!!!

I'm hoping to be able to read while I nurse every now and then as well, like last time. But now that I have an older kid I don't know how much that will happen!
#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM

I'm reading a bunch of articles to prepare for a thesis I'll need to write if I'm accepted as an Honors student at my university. I've already spoken with a faculty member in the counseling program and he's willing to mentor me on my project. I'm hoping to do a study on the psychological impact of infertility, miscarriage, and/or stillbirth and eventually apply what I learn to individual and couples therapy. I'm going to put together a literature review so I can more easily conceptualize my hypotheses and methodology. I love this stuff. Seriously. I.AM.SUCH.A.DORK.

Oh, and I've been reading Dr. Seuss to Liam every night before bed. Does that count?
#4 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 05:01 AM

Dr. Seuss ALWAYS counts! I have been reading short stories to the kids at night.
I read a really good book called The Memory Keepers Daughter about a week or two ago. I finished it in like 2 days! Loved it. It was fairly depressing but also not and really good.
I also read Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts I am waiting on my mom to read the next book in the series so I can read it. I tend to read books really fast so I'm thinking of stealing it from her b/c I know she will take longer than me.
I will be getting some of my birth books back from a friend on Monday so I'll probably re-read those.

I thought How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk incredibly dull and boring. I couldn't get through it. I leave it out as one of my 'pick up and read me when you need to remind yourself how to behave around your kids so they will be better people and so will you' sort of books.
#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
I also read Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts I am waiting on my mom to read the next book in the series so I can read it. I tend to read books really fast so I'm thinking of stealing it from her b/c I know she will take longer than me.
OOOOHHH! Read the whole series recently, it was really good! I just loaned all 3 books out yesterday... darn it I could have sent them to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
I thought How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk incredibly dull and boring. I couldn't get through it. I leave it out as one of my 'pick up and read me when you need to remind yourself how to behave around your kids so they will be better people and so will you' sort of books.
I agree.. I have it but can't claim to actually have read it.
#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 05:08 PM

I'm reading Dr. Andrew Weil's Eating Well for Optimum Health. Just finished Spontaneous Healing and Robbin's Diet for a New America. I've got a juicy romance novel I'll probably pick up next:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page