TENS anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-17-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an appointment today and am thinking of asking her for a prescription for the TENS unit. There is training for TENS at the hospital next week.

I am not really planning on using it, but I thought maybe if baby is positioned funny or I have a lot more pain than I'm expecting, it might be a good thing to try so I don't need to do anything with drugs or needles. Something to keep in the toolkit.

I guess the TENS unit contains pads you put on your back and a control so you can send electrical impulses to the nerves, dulling the pain. Supposedly nothing goes to the baby at all.

Has anyone tried it or known someone who has?
#2 of 7 Old 11-17-2006, 03:17 PM

I have never heard of this but I would love to hear more!!

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#3 of 7 Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM

I worked as a physical therapist before DS was born, and we use TENS pretty frequently.

I didn't use it w/ my labor with him (really just didn't need it), but I wouldn't hesistate to use it in labor if I had it available and needed it.

It basically works on the "gate control" theory of pain. The prickly feeling TENS creates travels in a different spinal pathway than pain sensations, and the prickly pathway is basically faster, so your brain doesn't feel pain as easily. It distracts your brain from the pain, if you will.
#4 of 7 Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got the script and I'll go ahead and take the training and the unit. If I actually use it, I'll let you know how it works!
#5 of 7 Old 11-18-2006, 08:38 AM

We bought a TENS machine! Here in the UK many people use them, I had never heard of them, but it seems like a great thing to have (especially since you can use them after the birth too - and then I can bring it home to use in the US for my next babe)

They can also be used for a homebirth, so I thought it would be a good option to have....

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#6 of 7 Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 PM

Yep! We just bought our TENS machine!!! Here in the UK they're pretty popular and the midwives and physios highly recomend them. I haven't a clue how to use it yet so DH and I need to have a practice run before labour starts as they say you need to start using them at the very beginning.
My plan is to labour as long as i can at home with it on, and then once i get to the hosptial, transfer to the birthing pool.....but if the pool is not available, stick with the TENS.
#7 of 7 Old 11-19-2006, 03:05 AM

you can buy a personal tens unit for about $100 online. No prescription needed. My partner is an OT and we have our own. I have used it for lower back relief during pregnancy. I love it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page