GBS+ and planning home birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out I am GBS+

I am reading everything about GBS. In the hospital they give you antibiotics. I am now using a peri-bottle with baking soda, tea tree oil and water. I am going to do a yeast infection homeopathic remedy and then if I still haven't had baby do yeast. Then during labor they are going to use hibaclens wash on me. Anyone else?
#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 PM

I just tested neg (after having been positive previously) I would also add lots of probiotics to your regimen, and grapefruit seed extract.

The plan that I had with my MW was to start the hibiclens washes right away in the event my test was positive, and then retesting to see if we had eradicated the organism. And then just keep up with it through labor.

I had it growing in my urine, which indicates very high level colonization and increased risk to the baby, so I had a higher level of concern than I would have had it just been detected on the swab.

For me, what I did was the probiotics and grapefruitseed extract, and lots of live foods like kefir.

Good luck. What are your labors like? Maybe you will go fast without early rupture of membranes and it will all be a moot concern anyway.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 PM

I haven't had the test yet, but am paranoid, cause I think antibiotics are evil (not in all circumstances, but I just don't like the things). But in preparation for the test, I stick a clove of garlic up my yoni every few days. It doesn't burn me, so I cut slits in it so that I get a higher dose. Supposedly this will cure a yeast infection and help with gbs. So I'm hoping to prevent a +. So maybe you could try the garlic too. Just do it at night, cause 1. it will fall out if you walk around much and 2. there is a vaginal mouth connection, so you will taste garlic a minute or two after you stick it in, so you can sleep through the garlic taste.
#4 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM

I hate GBS.

I haven't been tested (yet- if no labor by Wed I will be- was supposed to be tested last week but had to move my mw appt). I've been taking acidophilus and hoping to be neg. If pos or unknown w/risk factors, I will probably do hibiclens as well.

BUT I have read that hibiclens can dry out the tissues, therefore causing more likelyhood of a tear. Has anyone had that experience? I feel like its a trade off- better for my baby but worse for myself. (Hibiclens has been rated as effective or more effective than antibiotics to prevent GBS in the newborn in research out of France, by the way- but I'd like to see tear stats on that as well!)
#5 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 PM

Yeah I was wondering about that too HDM. Also because the hibiclens will decrease vaginal bacterial flora, there might be an increase in yeast growth, so probiotics would be even more important to try to counter that.

In one of the references I have, a 0.2% solution is used which is fairly dilute compared to the solution off the shelf (4%) but it is still pretty potent stuff.

FWIW, I use it as a presurgical hand and arm scrub (full strength 4%) and while I do experience some skin drying n my hands when I am doing a lot of surgeries, it isn't too bad. Obviously the mucus membranes of our vulva and vagina will be more sensitive but the solution is more dilute.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM

My midwife gave me a douche mixture and I used Garlic and pro biotics. I was only concidering using the antibio's if I had a long time 18+ hours after my water broke.

It sucks. Good Luck!

Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page