An update on me, had a MW appt. yesterday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything is perfectly fine - except baby is still breech. It's freaking DH out a little, me too, since this hasn't happened before. I'm calling today to a chiro she recommended who did the Webster technique, and if that doesn't work, might see the old OB about doing a version. My MW said baby still has lots of room, being my muscles are lax from the other pregnancies. SHe showed me where baby's head is (towards the top on the left side), and she told me to feel occasionally to see if baby has turned.

I'm still doing the positions she recommended, and I hope something works. She hasn't done a breech birth, and wouldn't be comfortable doing one at home. So if baby doesn't turn, it'll be a hospital birth-more-likely-a-C-section for me, which is absolutely what I do NOT want to happen : .

Oh, and our home visit went awful last week. The doula really upset DH, and she said if he wasn't comfortable being there for the birth, maybe he shouldn't. She was more concerned about her role in this, instead of being supportive to us. Needless to say, we won't be using her anywmore. DH was voicing his concernsover being so far away from the hospital (which we thought we'd have to go 45 minutes for). So he was ready to say NO to the HB, but the MW had calmed some of his fears down. But I was just so upset & crying, hearing some of the things DH was saying (kinda putting everything on me, I don't care about his feelings, etc.).

So they left a little while after that, I didn't even get my prenatal stuff done. DH & I talked, and we decided that the doula was NOT going to be there, but he was still comfortable with our MW & the HB. Our MW called the next morning, wondering how we were doing. And I told her that we weren't going to use the doula, and we'd have to find someone else. She even thought the doula was way out of line, and she tried calling her to tell her that, but no one was home. The doula is gone for the week, so I'll be calling her next week that we weren't comfortable having her there anymore.

And DH (who is a volunteer EMT) talked with the head Dr. from our local hospital (10 miles away) about us having a HB, and if anything went wrong, what emergencies could they handle (it's a very small hospital), and he said anything. So that was a big relief for us, knowing we'd only have to go 10 miles instead of 45-50 just in case.

If only baby would turn, I'd be completely relaxed, waiting for labor to start. But until baby is turned, I'll be a little nervous. The thought of seeing a chiro scares me, but a C-section scares me more. So I'm going to try everything to get baby turned.

Sorry this got so long, and thank you if you read the whole thing....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM

I am so sorry the home visit went so bad last week. I am glad it looks like you have the kinks worked out though. I hope the baby turns on its own. Mine is not head down either and I am really worried about all of the what ifs that come along with that. Good luck with the chiro!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 PM

I understand that seeing a chiropracter can be scary, but rest assured getting adjusted is a non threatening experience. I was also a little nervous when I went in for my first prenatal adjustment but if you have a chiro that you trust you really don't have anything to worry about.

I am planning to see my chiro today and can't wait to feel a relief of the pressure in my back!

Good luck getting the baby to turn.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 PM

I hope baby turns! Chiro really can do wonders. I know it is scary if you haven't been but I think you will end up liking it (I hope)
Turn baby turn!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM

I hope your baby turns!! I've never been to a chiro, but from what I understand they can really work wonders!!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone ! I see the chiro on Monday afternoon. Maybe it'll really do wonders, since I can't even lay down anymore because of the pain.

I'll let you all know how it goes .

Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM

and I hope the chiro is able to help turning the baby and easing your fears.

Will the hospital do an external version? I know my OB would almost always try. If the chiro doesn't help, and you're not averse to going to see an OB for an external version... maybe something to consider? I would do that over a C-section.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM

A Webster technique chiropractor should really help. On my first visit with mine she said 9 of the 10 breech mamas she worked on turned and the one that stayed was a really easy breech delivery, the hospital didn't have time to even consider a c/s.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
and I hope the chiro is able to help turning the baby and easing your fears.

Will the hospital do an external version? I know my OB would almost always try. If the chiro doesn't help, and you're not averse to going to see an OB for an external version... maybe something to consider? I would do that over a C-section.
I'm still seeing the OB as well as the MW. I have an appt. on Moday to see the OB too, and we may schedule an ECV then too. Hopefully I won't need that though. And yes, I'd rather do the ECV than have a C-section too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3
A Webster technique chiropractor should really help. On my first visit with mine she said 9 of the 10 breech mamas she worked on turned and the one that stayed was a really easy breech delivery, the hospital didn't have time to even consider a c/s.
That's good to know! I'm hoping it works *fingers crossed* !

Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 PM

mama! I hope that baby turns! The idea of a c-section for the 6th baby is not very appealing! Keep us posted.

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:27 PM

I hope it all works out for you. Turn, baby!

Good call on ditching the doula.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmany View Post
The thought of seeing a chiro scares me, but a C-section scares me more.
Just letting you know that the webster technique is really gentle. I understand that nervousness but there is nothing to fear

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 11-22-2006, 02:47 AM

Turn baby turn! Keeping my fingers crossed for you mommyofmany so that you and babe can both have the birth you want.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the "turn vibes"! I'm glad I have this wonderful group to express my fears instead of keeping them all inside. Thank you so much for helping me!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:15 PM

HI Mama...I was in the same boat as you. My baby was breech on Monday Nov. 13th(which I was 37 weeks and 2 days). The midwife turned the baby in her office....and he/she went head down. Then several days later I was 99% sure the baby was breech again. I was feeling the hard spot at the top(head) and the heart beat I was finding was up higher which is supportive of it being breech. This Sunday(38 weeks and 1 day) I was having contractions, and a miserable day(you probably read my post about being scared)...I was freaking out that I was in labor and that I was going to have a breech baby(my other 3, I never dealt with having a baby that was breech). So then this past Monday(38 weeks and 2 days), I had my midwife appointment. The baby was no longer breech!! Praise the Lord!! The midwife and I discussed things and we are wondering if Sunday when I was having so many contractions and freaking out if that was when the baby was turning head down on his/her own!! It came up in our conversation too that moms that have given birth several times have more stretched out muscles and that can make more room so the baby doesn't feel the need to go head down as early...so there's still hope. I had scheduled an appointment for the webster technique for today, but since the baby was turned, I cancelled(I would have still gone because my midwife assured me it wouldn't hurt anything), but the chiro wasn't covered by my insurance and I would have had to pay out of pocket and since money is tight i figured since he/she was head down, I would skip it.

I was so sure I was going to have to have a breech birth, and became surprised that he/she turned this late in the game. I hope yours turns too. Peace, prayers and blessings Mama!!

Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:33 PM

Mama,

Just wanted to offer my support.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:13 PM

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, hon. And that doula ought to be smacked! I can't believe she said that! Hopefully it came out wrong & she didn't really think that way.

I haven't read the other responses yet, but wanted to mention I got my baby to turn with the webster technique as well as taking lots of baths, immersing my belly as much as possible & either sitting far forward with my feet together or on all fours. I've heard great things about doing hand stands in a pool, too, if you can find an indoor one nearby this time of year.

I hope you get your babe to turn & it all works out fine.

Shannon
Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips Shannon! Just the excuse I need to take more baths! We have a very large jacuzzi tub I can soak in. Putting my head underwater freaks me out a little, so I'll skip that LOL.

User Tag List